Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Oh, wow, I had completely forgotten about that series. I had at least one, and I'm not sure I read any more than that.

Hatchet was probably my favorite read as a kid; I read it a lot, and I still remember most of the story beats. I don't think I even learned about the existence of the sequels until I was in my 30s. I also re-read My Side of the Mountain a lot. I wanna say there was another book in the theme, about a boy and a wolf in the wilds, but it's way too vague to remember anything about it.

I was into space as a kid (still am), and I had books 1-5 of the Young Astronauts series, but my parents could never find the 6th and final book. Eventually they agreed to put a 'wanted' ad in the kid's space magazine Odyssey, and I actually got a response and we managed to get the 6th book! I don't remember much about the series; I think it was a bunch of teenagers or young adults training for a big mission to Mars, and the last book or two they actually do travel to Mars.

Another favorite was Bundle of Sticks, where a kid reluctantly attends a karate class and eventually beats up the school bully after he kicks the protag's dog on like the last day of school. Very cathartic, and I still remember 'horse stance'.

There were a couple of Encyclopedia Brown stories I read, and a couple still stick with me--Brown disproving the nemesis' stupid cubic egg thing because his 'skydiver' didn't have a backup parachute, and that right-handed men trim their left sideburns higher than their right.

I remember reading Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and Superfudge, but not much else in the series. I still recall the sixth graders at the new school in Superfudge singing that they ran the school because they were in sixth grade now. I specifically remember being younger than them when I read the book, so they were the older kids, and they were obviously correct.

Reading through the thread made me remember another book, that I wanna say was called Tweezers or something, because the protagonist always carried a pair with him and regularly solved minor problems with them (including knowing how to spell the word at a spelling bee).

The Westing Game is probably the first time a book ever blew my mind with its reveal.

By the time I hit high school, I was reading my dad's collection of old scifi paperbacks and Star Wars novels. Did a book report on The Stand in either 9th or 12th grade, the years I had the cool english teacher. I chose the ending of the book to read out because it was exciting, didn't involve the devil's semen, and it had swears he let me say in class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU