Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Wayside was fun to reread to my daughter recently. There's some interesting and weird stuff in there, like when one of the kids brings an unhoused person in for show and tell and he answers their questions.

And another kid goes down to the basement and meets some weird men in suits who show up sometimes. But they end up giving him freedom so from then on he doesn't have to follow the teacher's rules.

And the hell of the 19th floor is really existentially scary for a kid book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Apparently Judy Blume also wrote for adults, I had no idea:

Wifey is set in a 1970's Jewish New Jersey community. The main character, Sandy, is a housewife who finds her life extremely boring while her kids are away at camp this particular summer. She comes to terms with the fact that she's not really in love with her husband and craves a more exciting sex-life. When a stranger makes regular visits to Sandy's yard to please himself, Sandy becomes oddly turned on and actually starts to look forward to his visits. It doesn't help that her husband is content with their infrequent love-making (if you can call it that), and refuses to believe anything is wrong in their relationship. Throughout the novel Sandy looks for ways to fill the void in her life, having freaky daydreams, contemplating a swinging lifestyle and even joining the local country club. The story takes a weird twist when Sandy beds a few guys, including her brother-in-law (who is also her gynecologist), to satisfy her sexual craving.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does anyone remember The Ear, the Eye and the Arm?

I vaguely recall them being mutant detectives in a sort of future city setting that had a walled nature preserve where I think a kidnapped kid was taken to.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Bible posted:

I got the boxed set of Wayside School books and wanted to read them with my son before bedtime. He wasn't super into it and agreed to one chapter, but we ended up reading half the book, ending for the night at "Sammy", which blew his tiny mind.

I've always been very close to him, but anything that helps maintain that closeness is such a wonderful thing.

Yes! My daughter loved them too!

Anyone remember the Indian in the Cupboard? It was a series of 4 books I think about this cupboard that transports people from the past into the present via toy models. IIRC it was set in Britain?