Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
i remember this. There was a series that followed a girl as well, Ramona I think. Her dad did factory work but was always unemployed and made it his whole family's thing to deal with. Also had a bunch of sayings his grandma always said about various reasons to beat children.

Those books were written and take place in like, the 60s or 70s. There wasn't poo poo to do and whatever poo poo you did get up to sucked and you were basically bored all the time. Of course they were lovely.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Grey Cat posted:

I was probably reading something more like:

I adored this series.

Even to this day, the chapter where a new kid shows up in a foul-smelling raincoat sticks with me.

He's a total dick and smells so bad that someone takes his raincoat and throws it out the window only to find that he's wearing dozens of them.

They keep pulling them off as his maniacal laughter continues to rise in pitch and eventually discover he was a dead rat trying to sneak into the classroom blew my grade-school mind.

I'm also still just a little nervous about buildings that lack a 13th floor.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

The "there is no 13th floor" joke makes a lot of sense in hindsight, since a lot of buildings skip that number. I didn't pick up on that until I was older.

There was one. The builder forgot to put it there but there was one that students occasionally slipped into and couldn't escape.

Wayside School did Backrooms decades before Reddit.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 22, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Sammy! I think about Sammy a weirdly large amount. Something about him specifically being a "dead rat" in a whole bunch of smelly rain coats both intrigued me and freaked me out. I loved all of Louis Sachar's books growing up, and Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger was a favorite. That one had a substitute teacher who had an ear on top of her head that could read minds and she was mean because every partner she ever had broke up with her once they realized she had an ear on her head. It had a happy ending :unsmith:

It wasn't even the first time dead rats were referenced. It was established before that the dead rats lived in the basement of the school and conspired constantly to get to the 30th floor because the teacher was afraid of dead rats.

Great worldbuilding for such a brief series.

Hazo posted:

And it was the “Nineteenth Story.”

As in, the nineteenth story of the book consisted of simply, “There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.”

The chapter "What?" had me very confused for an embarrassing amount of time.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

PizzaProwler posted:

It was the 19th floor that was missing

There was a chapter where one of the kids ends up on the 19th floor and enters a classroom full of adults who got trapped on the 19th floor when they were kids.

They memorized the dictionary all day. The girl went nuts and somehow escaped.

Edit: the author visited my school once and read us a cut chapter where the kids are on the playground playing a game called "Murder the Man With the Ball".

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 23, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
There were 4 Wayside School books? I only knew of three.

Found a boxed set online, picking it up. You know, for my son...

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I very vaguely remember a book where a brother and sister run away from home and secretly live in a museum at night.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

free hubcaps posted:

The funny thing about red fern is you are sad as gently caress when the dogs die, but when the rear end in a top hat neighbor kid falls on an axe and gets disemboweled it's just like "eh he was an rear end in a top hat anyways"

NGL, I kinda feel that in real life sometimes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I got the boxed set of Wayside School books and wanted to read them with my son before bedtime. He wasn't super into it and agreed to one chapter, but we ended up reading half the book, ending for the night at "Sammy", which blew his tiny mind.

I've always been very close to him, but anything that helps maintain that closeness is such a wonderful thing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Action Jacktion posted:

I remember a lot of books like that. It's like they wanted you to learn as soon as possible that the world is horrible. Anyone else read The Pinballs by Betsy Byars? It's about three kids who are in foster care for various depressing reasons, like one who's in a wheelchair because his drunk-driving father ran over his legs. Byars must've resolved every situation in the book by thinking of what would be the most depressing outcome, like the wheelchair kid really likes KFC and at one point the other characters go out and he hopes they bring some back, but they forget and he's sad. Then another time they do remember to bring some back, but in the meantime something else depressing has happened to him so he's too sad to enjoy it.

My Side of the Mountain.

Those sorts of books were always disturbing because all the bad things were happening to 'you' instead of some character. One that sticks in my mind had a bad ending that went "The last thing you ever see is a shotgun butt rushing toward your face."

My younger sister was obsessed with whatever this genre is.

Chief among them was some book named "A Child Called It", which I didn't read, but had vividly described to me many times, which dissuaded me from reading it.

She also chain-watched Grave of the Fireflies. She wasn't into anime at all, just that one. It's incredibly depressing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The one lesson I remember from Encyclopedia Brown is that if someone claims to have a one-touch knockout, check if his opponent falls backward or forward.

If he falls backwards, kick his rear end.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I was returning to this thread to post that when I remembered it.

JESUS CHRIST, even for young adult melodrama, Blubber is basically 'young teenage girls are innate psychopathic sadists who once they decide they want to destroy someone for fun, induce a torture routine that dictator secret police would take notice of', backed up by sheer utter banality. The main tormentor, Wendy, is basically shown to have no scruples or actual beliefs at all: she stooges out two of her so-called friends because, well, we never find out, probably because she'd find it funny, and when one of them finally puts her foot down, she drops a racial slur in regards to that person's (Chinese) best friend. And just to top it off, no one learns anything, no one really gets punished for their awful behavior, the adults are completely useless, and by the end there's just been a bunch of musical chairs in regards to 'friendships', when it's been demonstrated that to this vicious lot, 'friendship' is mostly just a series of power based transactions.

Growing up in the 80's sucked.

quote:

In the days of cyber bullying and much greater awareness of suicide, it basically reads as the equivalent of splatterpunk horror for young female social interaction. Either be a monster perfect alpha nightmare bitch who has all the power, or pray you never draw their ilk's attention, or else your life will be hell and there will be nothing you can do to prevent it.

The worst part is, it's not like the book is WHOLLY unrealistic, because I'm sure plenty of people have stories about how monstrous teenagers of both sexes, with their not yet proper developed empathy brain centers, can be, and just how banally (really, that's what gets me the most, the BANALITY of the acts) they can act if they're very slow to develop them or, for one reason or another, just don't. I recall a story (so, pure hearsay but whatever) of someone who went to a bad school, there was a feud between two older teenage girls over a boy, one was pregnant, and the other when there was some big distraction (I think a legit fire?) decided this was the best time to attack/'get back' at her 'enemy', which she did by attacking the heavily pregnant girl on the stairs and deliberately stomping/jumping on her belly to attempt to kill the unborn child. Just so she could hurt her 'rival', completely oblivious to just how far over the line and 'you can't take this back' such an action can/could be. But, again, this is a story heard secondhand so it could well be wholly made up, but I think it says it all that you can't dismiss the possibility that a teenage girl could be that ignorantly monstrous.

My childhood was loving rough/an actual nightmare, so my perceptions are probably skewed, but I've always kind of figured this is how most people just are.

Like, most people, if they knew for a fact there would be no consequences, would kill you just because they could. The only thing that stops them is fear of punishment, not empathy.

They don't just not feel bad about doing it, they gain pleasure and joy from the act. It would be a fun experience for them.

I mean, look at cops, or people in powerful positions like senators and CEOs. No punishment is common for them, and they inflict extreme harm on millions and don't lose a moment of sleep over it.

I don't think everyone is like that, of course, but I've always suspected that the vast majority of people are.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 24, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

postmodifier posted:

when it comes to the influential books of my childhood, it goes:

1) mcgurk detective agency
2) boxcar kids
3) animorphs

and this absolute fuckin gem of a book that I'm shocked hasn't been adapted to film/tv

Oh man, I totally forgot about this book.

I remember wanting to live in that city at the beginning, because you could get new clothes for free and eat every day even if you only had one parent who didn't work.

It seemed like a paradise.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 24, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

root beer posted:

My daughter is going to be 12 this September, and I have been dreading for years her inevitable middle school experience. Mine was terrible, as most people’s were, but at least I’m a guy and my experience was primarily one of isolation and loneliness. Fortunately, we found out about a public school in our area that focuses on art, so we enrolled her there and her friends will all be going there as well, and I think it’s going to be a place where everyone there is sort of in that outcast weirdo crowd, so there will be a greater deal of commonality—and thus empathy—among them. But good christ I still worry that her adolescence will be like what’s described in that book.

There's also been a pretty significant cultural shift in the attitudes toward bullying. Back when those books were written, there were school authorities who literally saw bullying as a part of the learning process. The nail sticking up being hammered down, as they say. It was considered a necessary and even ultimately positive part of growing up. It "built character".

There are definitely still elements of this today, but they are far weaker than they were. We are much more aware of different types of bullying now, the effects of it, and even student attitudes toward it aren't quite as cavalier as they once were.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson. I had no idea until just now that it was from the 70s, and New Zealand. It was a really fun one.

Lots of books about school plays gone ridiculous made an impression on me. I think about No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman a weirdly large amount for what was essentially a young adult comedy book, because the jokes in it and situations get so absurd that they were impossible to forget. It starts with a protagonist named Wallace Wallace and goes on with a secondary character who mashes together idioms and climaxes with the entire school putting on an "updated" version of Shiloh where the dog lives, except someone put a bomb on the dog plush and it goes off at the end. :allears:

Not a book, but these always take me back to that episode of Home Movies where Brendan puts on a show called "Bye Bye Greasy" or something like that and it just goes to poo poo in the most hilarious ways possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Did anyone here not have these books growing up because if so I am so sorry.