Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There was a year of elementary school that Maniac Magee fever struck and every kid was checking it out of the library.

Looking up the summary on Wikipedia, there was a lot we missed in the context. We just thought it was cool because this kid legend skipped school and had a poem made up about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Now y'all have me thinking about all the similar hosed up childhood books I read and loved.

Johnny Tremaine did click with me.

Other memorable books
- Incident at Hawk's Hill about a mute/nearly mute toddler lost in the wilderness and taken in by a badger.
- When the Legends Die orphaned Native American boy forced into white schools and customs who becomes an anti-social bull rider. He gets injured a lot, eventually retires and regains his native background.
-The Outsiders, of course.
-Hatchet was great. Didn't like The River as much. Didn't know until much later of the other books and never read them.
-The Face on the Milk Carton. Read one of the sequels as an adult and thought it was trash.

I identified with Skinnybones, and having no athletic talent at all.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

root beer posted:

When my sister was in middle school, she was into terminally ill teen melodrama by Lurlene McDaniel; here’s a selection from dozens:

—Someone Dies, Someone Lives

Think that's the one I read. If it is, the sick teenage girl gets a heart transplant because a college football player dies of a sudden aneurysm kicking off before this huge crowd.

Despite this being proto-Damar Hamlin, of course 100% of the focus is the transplant patient whose fate is left in the air at the end as the transplant is rejecting. It isn't even uplifting YA medical literature. I began reading grown-up books soon after, really not much of a jump to go from this type of book to Stephen King's Carrie.