Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom was a cool book but the title was clickbait long before clickbait was a thing. The author named the entire book on a single throwaway line and I'm pretty sure the incident didn't even happen to the main character.

Can't respect it. Just can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I also vaguely remember some book about a girl with a hat that said PIG CITY on it which not gonna lie, would be a pretty cool hat

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I also remember a kids book I checked out at the school library in the 4th grade and the main characters were two kids who tried to swim across a stream or something and one of them straight up drowned

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yep, that's the one. I remember the drowned kid being named Tony.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

teen witch posted:

Mentioning Where the Red Fern Grows unlocked a memory of my fifth grade class listening to my teacher read it out loud. When we got to the ending, it became a classroom of weeping kids. I’m certain doesthedogdie.com came from a kid who read that book.

One of my favorite childhood books, and made me want to get a dog. I ended up with a 6 month old German Shepherd/something else mutt from a local animal shelter who I named Amy. She lived for fourteen years and was an extremely lazy but thoroughly loving and well behaved animal. So yeah, sad book, but definitely the catalyst of some good in my life.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never knew about this book and summary sounds…really normal? Like amazing how a book by one of the top children’s authors in the late 20th century is challenged for frank, realistic discussions about navigating sex as a young adult even including sexual vs romantic attraction and how it’s okay if your first “serious” relationship doesn’t last and it doesn’t make you a bad person. But you know, Biblical violence is a-okay!

Well I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

I might have missed any references to "The Three Investigators".

An "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" series of mystery books.
A little more "gritty" than the Hardy Boys, but same idea.

These three fellows had the coolest HQ in a junkyard with tunnels and secret doors.
They were kinda James Bond-esque with gadgets IIRC.

I had dozens and dozens of these books when I was a kid. They were great, and some of them were pretty spooky. A large number of them were Scooby Doo-esque stories where something apparently supernatural was happening but I'm pretty sure every single one resolved itself quite mundanely, sometimes literally by pulling the mask off the monster.