Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I must
I must
I must increase my bust

My mom got into Judy Blume (because I couldn’t give a poo poo about Johnny Tremaine), and I had the version with the menstrual belts. Needless to say I was dreading getting my period because those belts sounded horrific. Judy Blume wrote Blubber and that book was loving ROUGH. It’s great but it’s so hard to get through.

I also watched the Ramona tv show as a kid as well as read the books. It’s how I learned you can eat tongue and name a cat Chevrolet. Beverly Cleary died a few years ago at 104, goddamn!
https://youtu.be/mPtGFnIIkBw

I have read more Baby Sitters Club books than any human should and I am shocked I remember as much as I do from them.

However my all time favorite was Harriet The Spy. “Lady Hitler” is a favorite insult, and god I should get my copy from my mom’s. The Nick movie was also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rain Brain posted:

I had to read Peck's A Day No Pigs Would Die in school, which was deeply upsetting (not Red Fern upsetting but real real close). My unhappiness was further compounded by the fact I confused him with Richard Peck and couldn't understand how one person could write a book I hated so much but also could produce the wonderful Blossom Culp series.

Mentioning Where the Red Fern Grows unlocked a memory of my fifth grade class listening to my teacher read it out loud. When we got to the ending, it became a classroom of weeping kids. I’m certain doesthedogdie.com came from a kid who read that book.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Extra Large Marge posted:

I read a lot of Gary Paulsen books, mostly having to do with survival in the woods (The Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter) or at sea (Voyage of the Frog).
Hatchet and Brian’s Winter made me terrified of the wilderness. I would have died immediately, I accept that I am coddled.

redshirt posted:

lol this thread had me thinking of old Johnny Tremaine. I gave a lot of shits about poor Johnny, with his injury and stuck working at a hot, dangerous forge all day. I remember thinking, well, school's not so bad compared to that....
My mom tried desperately to get me to like Johnny Tremaine and it was just so loving boring to me.

What *did* click with me, unfortunately, were the Little House books. They aged poorly for reasons that are incredibly obvious but that’s ok. I can enjoy the childhood memories of them, and still never once recommend them to kids nowadays, ever.

I’m thinking the American Girl series aged possibly better? I did love that they had historical tidbits, shame that the dolls were next level expensive but the books themselves were really fun.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Aside from calling native people Indians, what didn't age well about them? I've read one of them (but admittedly it was a few decades ago) and I'm down as gently caress with the tv show.

There were quite a few bits I remember that stuck out, this article is a decent overview of some (and wow I remember the dark eyes comment! not the minstrel show however)

Also holy poo poo I did *not* know anything about the libertarian poo poo:

wikipedia posted:

Connections with politics
While Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote the Little House books, it was Rose Wilder Lane who edited them and it was Lane who had the rights after Wilder's death. According to the New York Times Rose was an "outspoken antigovernment polemicist and is called one of the grandmothers of the libertarian movement." Lane's views were supported by her mother. Despite her mother's support of her political views, Lane went against her mother and what was written in her will by leaving the rights of the Little House books to Roger Lea MacBride after her own death. Roger Lea MacBride has strong connections to politics, being a once libertarian presidential candidate, and a member of the Republican Liberty Caucus. He gained the rights to the books not only from Lane's will but also through a legal battle with the library that Wilder wrote in her will should gain the rights after Lane's death. It was MacBride who allowed the television show to be made and who talked about Laura's books, and through the rights he made a great deal of money.

Another political issue raised by the practice of homesteading as described in the Little House books is John Locke's Labor Theory of Property, which is the idea that if someone improves the land with their own labor that they then have rights to that land.

Depiction of the United States Government
Anti-governmental political views, such as those held by Rose Wilder Lane, have been attributed to the Little House books. In her article, "Little House on the Prairie and the Truth About the American West", historian Patricia Nelson Limerick connects Wilder's apparent and Lane's outright distaste for the government as a way to blame the government for their father's failure at homesteading. The books show the Wilder family to be entrepreneurs and show a form of hero worship of Laura Ingalls Wilder's parents. In "Little House on the Prairie and the Myth of Self Reliance", Julie Tharp and Jeff Kleiman say that the idea of the settlers' self-reliance, which they consider to be a myth, has contributed to conservative rhetoric, and that the Little House books are full of this myth.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Another entry in the “some bits haven’t aged well” department, Roald Dahl!

I read Matilda several dozen times as a kid, and The Witches was a first “maybe I like scary things” memory. Also I totally forgot he wrote the screenplay to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, no wonder why it also was deeply unsettling.

I love love love Quentin Blake’s illustrations as well, they’re so part and parcel with Dahl’s books.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

PhotoKirk posted:

Our elementary school had an assembly where the movie* was shown.

It went as badly as you can expect.

*1974 movie. I'm old.

Christ I remember hiding my head during That Part when watching the movie in class. Like I knew what was coming but still, what a tragic loving story for kids to enjoy(?)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Technically not a chapter book but I’m ride or die for Uncle Shelby, Shel Silverstein. I remember my mom reading The Giving Tree to me from the library when I was really young, and my grandma got me four of his other books.

I found some of his other work, later on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnjxfm5I3Y

skasion posted:

Moomins. Especially “Comet in Moominland” and the one about the dad growing up. I revisited these as an adult and the last two are bleak as gently caress, basically modernist novels except all the existential crisis havers are goofy little trolls.
I never had Moomin as a kid :911: but read some after moving here as an adult and I had to pause a few times to just sorta lie there and think.

Few months ago I bought a collection for my cousin’s first kid for when he’s older. I’m gonna make this triste generational.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I was also a big fan of the Royal Diaries spin off even though I knew they glossed a lot over. The one set in China was my favorite but Queen Elizabeth and Cleopatra's were fun too.

I read the Anastasia one of those several dozen times, kicked off my love of Weird Royalty poo poo. Also taught me what abdication and hemophilia means! Just wish they didn’t include the actual pic of where they likely got got and Rasputin, because that introduced to me to a bit of horror.

Speaking of gentle historical fiction, let me talk to you about American Girl books and the bonkers expensive dolls. The Pleasant Company knew drat well what they were doing. I had Molly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Realizing now that I’ll never recapture the high that is being 9 and reading a new Captain Underpants book.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I don't know anyone who was excited to get her period. It was just something else to make us self-conscious and miserable. You get made fun of for having it, you get mocked if you haven't had it yet, boys are loving gross about it, and the periods themselves are terrible, especially at first when they're irregular.
This. I’m hoping it’s better for kids nowadays.

Getting my first period in 2002 was just cramps, moodiness, and discomfort, and you couldn’t talk to anyone really about it outside of your mom and that felt weird, because you’re 11 y’know? It was embarrassing if not a bit stigmatized to even acknowledge that they existed. If you used pads you were a prude but tampons had a whole host of terrible, unscientific associations.

Any public mention of actual periods were commercials with the blue liquid and no period looked or behaved like that. And they were directed towards adults, rarely teens at best, let alone pre-teens.

Again, I really hope it’s less lovely for kids because tying getting your period with entrance to womanhood is a terrible idea on so many fronts. Congrats, everyone’s going to treat you weird, downright creepy or assume all actions are due to “bein on the rag” - you are between 9 and 15 and you’re just to simply ~accept~ this.