Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I remember when Out of the Dust was published and became available in our school library. It's an unusual style, entirely blank verse, about a 14 year old girl living in the Texas panhandle during the dust bowl. It's also gruesome in places, since the girl's pregnant mother gets set on fire in a kitchen accident. The whole thing is available as a pdf if you google it. Highly recommend. I can't believe they had us reading that as elementary school kids, but I guess children are resilient and they wanted us to learn Texas history.

Daphne's Book was something I randomly picked up at the library because I like the name Daphne. Think about the class weirdo nobody wants to be friends with. Think about getting paired with them for an assignment to write a picture book. Think about eventually coming to like her and being her friend. And then finding out she lives in a run-down farmhouse with her little sister and her grandmother, who has dementia, with no power or water. It's sad as hell but I remember liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

I read a bunch of Louis Sachar books when I was young because I liked the Wayside school ones so much.

He wrote a book about the original goon called Dogs Don't Tell Jokes. Highly recommended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_Don%27t_Tell_Jokes

Oh I loved that book :allears:

Also Bailey School Kids upthread. I distinctly remember the Cupid/Valentine's one and the one where a medieval-theme pizza place had a dragon cooking the pizza. There's a great tumblr post about looking at these books as an adult-- specifically, the cover art-- and realizing all these otherworldly weirdos are maybe just different flavors of Gay.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The Dear America Titanic story was my favorite too. She had such a good time eating all that upper-class food :allears: I was really into that book but couldn't give a fuuuck about the movie Titanic. Still don't, but I did find that book recently and reread it with gusto.

The Egypt Game was also a favorite of mine, I was That Ancient Egypt kid/really into mummies so I LOVED it.

Who remembers The Castle in the Attic? It's a really solid story imo.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

Speaking of gentle historical fiction, let me talk to you about American Girl books and the bonkers expensive dolls. The Pleasant Company knew drat well what they were doing. I had Molly!

I had Kit! The story about Molly being the star of the tap solo was one of my favorite books though. I BEGGED my mom to give me pin curls because I was an idiot child who learned nothing. In the book, Molly gets an ear infection from sleeping in wet pin curls to look perfect for the tap solo, and ends up missing the performance entirely. My pin curls didn't turn out great, I think.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Avi book I think about a weirdly large amount is Nothing But The Truth, a "documentary novel" telling the story of a kid who gets in trouble in class for humming the National Anthem instead of being quiet, seemingly just to be a little annoying, and how it balloons into this giant media circus. It's told through newspaper clippings, script-style scenes, "recordings and transcripts", and such. It has an ending that is quite sad all things considered, definitely made me feel things in the heart.

It's very funny looking it up and seeing a ton of recent Goodreads and Google Reviews clearly left by kids who were mad they were assigned to read it in school :allears:

Holy god I remember this book. We read it in maybe 2003, the patriotism media circus hit different in such a freshly post-9/11 America. I think our teacher had to spell out for us that he was being an obnoxious little poo poo and humming it for the sake of being defiant.