Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

ChickenHeart posted:

My Teacher Is an Alien was always the superior choice in that specific niche of grade school book bus fiction:

Bruce Coville was my first "favorite author." I ate all his poo poo up.

But the best is obv

I remember one of the Fudge books had a line where someone told him "When in Rome," and it pissed him off, then later he repeats it back to that person in a really snarky way, and it was probably my first experience with a kind of setup-and-payoff, even if in retrospect it's not that deep. It blew me away though. That line that was said earlier in the book, the reversal. I didn't really understand the nuance of the phrase, though. I kind of interpreted that as just another way of saying "gently caress you." So I started saying it to people at school I didn't like. "When in Rome!"

I was a dumb kid.

credburn fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Anyone ever read Interstellar Pig?

I don't remember anything about it except I really loved it and it taught me what keelhauling was :|

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Supreme Allah posted:

Encyclopedia Brown was my jam. Ohh that dastardly Bugs Meany :arghfist:

I used to read an Encyclopedia Brown knockoff that had this weird conceit that, this kid was like a reporter or something, but his boss "liked puzzles," and so the kid would create jigsaw puzzles out of pictures he drew/took. And it was the reader's job, to, I GUESS cut out the jigsaw shapes from the pages of the book and then put them together?? I can't remember what these books were called but I enjoyed them (I never once cut out the jigsaw shapes gently caress that)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Extra Large Marge posted:

I read a lot of Gary Paulsen books, mostly having to do with survival in the woods (The Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter) or at sea (Voyage of the Frog).

Did you ever read Brian's Return? It begins with him almost beating another student to death because of his PTSD. Some kid bullies him, and he can't distinguish between a normal schoolboy threat and a life-and-death situation.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Anyone ever read Snow Gold?

wtf is it called Snow Treasure?? I guess it is. Huh!

It's about kids smuggling gold bricks past Nazis in their sleds.

Holy smokes I didn't realize it was published in 1942! I probably learned more about WWII from this book than anything my 4th grade teacher was teaching us. What I remember most about the WWII curriculum was all the naked corpses we had to look at. Somehow it didn't bother me that they were corpses; it bothered me that they were naked. Nobody ever told me whether or not I could look at corpses, but I'd been taught it's forbidden to look at naked bodies. But in school we had to look at concentration camp photos all day long, the mass graves, the naked corpses.

Anyway, I remember it being pretty good!

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 26, 2024