Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If your parents named you Farley Drexel, you'd be pretty pissed too.

Its like on this one facebook group I'm on, there was this (teenage) kid named Tanner who was always getting in to arguments with the older group members. Mostly Gen Xers but some boomers too. I know people hate boomers and to a lesser extent Gen X, but this dude was an idiot and deserved *most* (but probably not all) of the poo poo he got.

At one point a couple people I know IRL (older gen X) were all like "Yo, I'd be angry too if my parents named me Tanner". Dude had a meltdown and started threatening some people (a few of whom may have some biker affiliations) and calling everyone out and got banned.

Yeah, fudge was a dick though. His dad should have beaten his rear end a few times. But rubbing mashed potatoes in his face or hair or whatever was pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Grey Cat posted:

I was probably reading something more like:

Mrs gorf seemed like she'd be pretty cool gotta admit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BEEZUS JESUS

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I remember the Peter and Fudge stories, especially how Fudge's parents gave him the talk, then he saw a pregnant lady on the bus and said "I know what's inside you and I know how it got there" so she moved to another seat.

My go-to children's books were the Bruno & Boots series, I just looked and it's up to 7 books. I read the first five, although the fifth one only once - it was never in the library.

Did any fellow Canucks watch the TV movies based on the books? Any good?

Imagine Fudge saying "daddy put the big cummies in you".

I read Theres Something Happening At McDonald Hall, Beware the Fish, and The War With Mr Wizzle.
They were dope, but by the time I knew there were others I was in highschool and by that time they were kinda young for me. Also my high school library didn't have them anyway.

I think I read the first two Wayside School books. They were pretty dope. BeBe Gunn's brother Ray was annoying. Or possibly fake. I forget.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

As mentioned, the Quimbys always seemed to be on the verge of bankruptcy and Ramona was sad when her mom slapped her dad in the hand with a spatula after someone forgot to turn on the fuckin crockpot in the morning.

I have to admit though, that one kid really pissed me off. Who is that "one kid"? I don't remember that little fucker's name. It was in the book where they got a new addition on the Quimby house and at show and tell or some poo poo, Ramona was all like "some guys came and chopped a hole in the side of our house" and when people asked her about it, the kid accused her of lying. Despite having seen the hole.

When she confronted him about it later, he was all like "you lied, they didn't CHOP a hole in the side of your house, they used saws and CUT a hole, so you're WRONG".

The kid was technically right but man did I ever want to stomp on that fuckin kids throat and jaw.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Where the Red Fern Grows made me want to get some hound dogs and go out at night coon hunting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anyone ever read the book "call it courage" it was about this son or grandson of the chief of some south pacific islanders who is a sissy boy because he saw his mom get killed at sea when he was a kid. All the other native kids make fun of him. At some point he somehow gets stranded on an island with his dog and has to live on his own. He fights the "feke' monster ( an octopus that I called the feeky monster when talking about it with friends) eventually builds a boat and gets chased off the island by cannibals and makes it back to his island where he finally has courage and everyone thinks he's dope and a real man

500excf type r posted:

It was my favorite book growing up because I lived on the frontier and explored it with my dogs, hunting critters. Similar to My Side of the Mountain, very empowering to a boy. When I ran away from home at 10 I knew exactly what to do until it got dark out and I got scared of ghosts

Yeah I had a bunch of woods behind my house as a kid and more down the street at the dead end, I loved going out in that poo poo and prowling around

edited for spelling. i was typing too quick on my phone

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 25, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

teen witch posted:

What *did* click with me, unfortunately, were the Little House books. They aged poorly for reasons that are incredibly obvious but that’s ok. I can enjoy the childhood memories of them, and still never once recommend them to kids nowadays, ever.

Aside from calling native people Indians, what didn't age well about them? I've read one of them (but admittedly it was a few decades ago) and I'm down as gently caress with the tv show.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hey, since this is the defacto kids/young teens book thread, and survival books are being discussed in the last half page or so, it reminded me of something.

If you're from Canada, you probably read Lost In The Barrens (sometimes known as Two Against The North) and The Curse of The Viking's Grave by Farley Mowat about the exploits of Jamie MacNair (white kid) and Awasin Meewasin (Cree native kid).

I reread both of those a year or two ago after coming across the transcripts online and noticed something interesting. It mentioned that Awasin, and his sister, and the various kids in their village went to "The Mission School" in (some remote place in BFE northern Canada).

That probably would have been a residential school. The types of school endorsed/funded by the government and run by various branches of christianity that practiced cultural genocide on the native peoples of Canada, amongst other awful poo poo that those kids were also subjected too.

When I read the books in grade 8 circa 1992-93 or so, I'd never heard of those schools so had no idea. But rereading them recently, especially in the wake of all kinds of unmarked graves having recently being found at old residential schools just kinda made me think "fuuuuuccckkk". I wonder if the aurthor would have mentioned that in the books if such knowledge was widely known back then. Maybe it was and people just didn't give a gently caress.

So uhhhhh, yeah.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

teen witch posted:

There were quite a few bits I remember that stuck out, this article is a decent overview of some (and wow I remember the dark eyes comment! not the minstrel show however)

Also holy poo poo I did *not* know anything about the libertarian poo poo:

Read the link you posted.
Got ya. Yeah, it was a product of its time and those sorts of things mentioned aren't particularly acceptable these days.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arven posted:

Doesn't he cut his foot on coral and then sterilize it with a lime or something? I haven't thought about that book in 25 years

I do t recall. I haven't read it since about 1989 or so.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

AvesPKS posted:

There was a book about a kid who was from the city and moved to live with his uncle in Louisiana or somewhere in the South. The only thing I can really remember is them going to a restaurant and the grandfather orders a hamburger steak for the kid and the kid asks for bread and doesn't know how to eat it except as a sandwich.

Leroy and the old man.

Good book

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

AvesPKS posted:

Thanks! I've been trying to remember that one for years.

I'm pretty sure I have two copies of it somewhere.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

500excf type r posted:

Where the Red Fern Grows is awesome and im glad that rear end in a top hat kid died

I met some dude who's last name was Pritchard years ago and I was immediately suspicious of him

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

Where the Red Fern Grows made me really want to buy some hounds and go coon hunting for like a week,

:same:

I even had a bunch if woods out back of my house and down the street.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anyone read any of the "Adventure" series of books by Willard Price?

Each one is titled "Something (usually a place or thing, like africa, volcano, the south seas, amazon etc) Adventure".
Its the exploits of two pretty much teenagers who work for their dad who has a business collecting animal specimens that end up going to Zoos and such. They encounter various obstacles like Animals trying to eat them, business rivals, criminals trying to steal their poo poo and so on. Not every book is just about collecting animals. In one they accompany a scientist who goes aboard an olde tymey whaling ship, or another where they're trying to do some pearl diving or some poo poo.

I don't think I have them anymore, but I had/read South Seas Adventure, Underwater Adventure, Whale Adventure and Cannibal Adventure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

redshirt posted:

I read a book about "Indians" when I lived in Indiana and it somehow struck deep within me. The book (for kids) described how they walked silently through the forest on the sides of their feet, and I of course immediately began walking on the sides of my feet for max stealthiness....

Walking in barefoot, or with a thin sole is good for that. You can feel the sticks that are about to break and then not step on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I could probably just look it up, but then I couldn't make this awesome post.

There was a book by Avi. Don't know if that's a first name or last name. Some old rear end house had a blood stain in a bedroom closet or something and a slave kid's (named caleb iirc) spirit came up through the stain and would hang out with the kid who occupied the room. Anyone read that one? I did but it had to have been like 30 years ago or more