Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

credburn posted:

I used to read an Encyclopedia Brown knockoff that had this weird conceit that, this kid was like a reporter or something, but his boss "liked puzzles," and so the kid would create jigsaw puzzles out of pictures he drew/took. And it was the reader's job, to, I GUESS cut out the jigsaw shapes from the pages of the book and then put them together?? I can't remember what these books were called but I enjoyed them (I never once cut out the jigsaw shapes gently caress that)

I read that series. It was a detective who liked to draw the solution and cut it up as a puzzle for his boss. I also never cut the pages out, especially since the solution was on another page, backwards instead of upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Cornwind Evil posted:

The plot between them varies a great deal. I'd say like 30 percent of the book actually makes it into the movie. Some of that is probably due to 40 years passing between the book's original publishing and the film, though.

That's just how book adaptations are. The war that's central to the movie version of "Howl's Moving Castle" is a small detail that doesn't really affect the plot of the book.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I learned to read really early, so when I was 11 I was reading The Babysitters Club, Hans Christian Anderson, and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" My mom was totally fine with me borrowing her books at that age, but she did want me to hold off on "Clan of the Cave Bear" until I was in middle school on account of the main character being raped. Except I didn't, and read it anyway.

The weirdest things I read as a kid, however, were some books on the history of alchemy and witchcraft, that were definitely not for children but were in my elementary school library all the same. Very dry, but really interesting, but still probably shouldn't have been there: the alchemy one was where I learned the word "smegma." (Alchemy is weird.)

Edit: I remembered one of them! "Black Magic, White Magic," by Gary Jennings. Now I need to read it and see if it did belong three shelves up from "Miss Nelson is Missing!"

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 27, 2024

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

wheatpuppy posted:

Might be A Wind In The Door by Madeleine L'Engle - They travel with a biblically-accurate angel that is basically a giant blob of eyes and fiery wings. And they ... somehow meet some mitochondria? I don't remember how or why.

They have to save Charles Wallace, the younger brother from A Wrinkle in Time, from a mitochondrial illness. it's really good, as is the third book in the series, A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

emSparkly posted:

I mean I would have been excited to break through puberty milestones too if I actually went through the version that matched my gender identity.

I don't know anyone who was excited to get her period. It was just something else to make us self-conscious and miserable. You get made fun of for having it, you get mocked if you haven't had it yet, boys are loving gross about it, and the periods themselves are terrible, especially at first when they're irregular.