Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
Agreed, OP. I hated that little poo poo head. Poor Peter always getting screwed over thanks to Fudge's antics.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Grey Cat posted:

I was probably reading something more like:

The "there is no 13th floor" joke makes a lot of sense in hindsight, since a lot of buildings skip that number. I didn't pick up on that until I was older.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Bifner McDoogle posted:

This book is amazing, the cover is some Roger Corman poo poo but the book is a dead serious contemplation on the nature of humanity. It includes poo poo like a scene where a soldier slowly, tensely and selflessly works to rescue a child from a battlefield before they both get vaporized by a bomb. The ending is pretty great too and has exactly a really kickass message presented in a really cool way.

Bruce Colville covers would look like Goosebumps ripoff, but the stories were actually Dark and legit good from what I remember.

Oh poo poo! This is the guy who wrote those books about that magic shop (The Skull of Truth; Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher). I remember liking those when I was in elementary school.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

PizzaProwler posted:

It was the 19th floor that was missing

Whoops.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

My jam in elementary school was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, which was like a Celtic inspired high fantasy story. For those unfamiliar, the Disney movie "The Black Cauldron" is an adaptation of the first two books. Actually, The Black Cauldron was the second book in the series, but for the movie they combined the villain of the first book (The Book of Three) with the main villain of the overall series.

Rat Patrol posted:

Did anybody else read Walk Two Moons? We read it in middle school and I didn't really "get" it then and when I looked up another book by the author, "Chasing Redbird" which takes place in the same universe, I got it even less. Looking back on the themes/imagery as an adult, I'm still not convinced I know wtf was going on and I don't think I'm interested in rereading to find out.

Both books were full of snake imagery and death by/because of snakes. Both main characters' grandmothers died and they both became weird wife surrogates to their grandfathers (in WTM the main character even mentions "our marriage bed" to her grandfather, while sleeping next to him, to comfort him, in CR she shares a weird call and response lyric thing with her gpa that her gma used to).

Both involve sad family secrets that are dealt with in the unhealthiest way possible. Also I seen to remember finding the names of the characters fuckin stupid even as a kid (tho the only one I remember is, one woman literally has the last name cadaver and the twist is main character's dad is dating cadaver because his wife is secretly dead)

Wtf were those books

I think I read Walk Two Moons in sixth grade. That was the one where the main character says she is afraid of pregnant women, and then you find out later that she blames herself for her mother's miscarriage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

When I was in middle school, I remember talking about The Phantom Tollbooth (by Norton Juster) with a friend. I mentioned that there is a character named King Azaz, and the school librarian scolded me because she overheard and thought I said "kick rear end."

Anyway, that was a cool book. Kind of in the vein of Lewis Carroll, if I remember correctly, in that it had a lot of wordplay and mathematical theory. My favorite part as a kid was when they meet Dr. Discord. I have a copy sitting on my shelf that I got from a free book thing a while back. I'll reread that at some point when I'm in the mood for something light.