Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I've read many of these books much more recently to my kids. And I now assume in books like the Fudge series or Diary of a Wimpy Kid that the older brother is an unreliable narrator, especially when they make the younger sibling sound like a completely psychotic piece of poo poo who gets away with everything. Just think back to when you were that age, and how every slight felt like the greatest injustice ever endured by a human, and it seemed like your parents' always took everyone else's side in any dispute, when in realty you were also a little rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

CoffeeBoofer posted:

the kid ate a turtle

Unreliable narrator. It was a box of chocolate pecan turtles.

Nov 6, 2002

I'll bite, what did Jamie see?

Nov 6, 2002

wheatpuppy posted:

When I was a kid, my grandpa gave us a coonhound. We lived in town, and had to keep him penned up all day because nobody was home to keep an eye on him. He was miserable due to lack of exercise and howled constantly, so my dad eventually made my grandpa take him back. A year or so later we went to visit grandpa and the hound wasn't there. He told us a long sad sad story about how he took that hound out hunting coyotes with a friend and they were attacked by a cougar, and the hound died heroically.

I believed this with all my heart, and told all my friends about it. Then in the 5th grade the class read Where The Red Fern Grows and I learned that grandpa plagiarized the story. He had just sold the dog. All my friends thought I was the one who lied so I got to hear a lot of "where's your homework, did a cougar eat it?" and "oh no, haven't seen your little brother recently, did he trip over an axe?" for the rest of the year.

lol holy poo poo that's great

Nov 6, 2002

Anyone else have to read A Separate Peace in middle school and have no idea at the time about the actual relationship of the main characters?