Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The Bible posted:

i remember this. There was a series that followed a girl as well, Ramona I think. Her dad did factory work but was always unemployed and made it his whole family's thing to deal with. Also had a bunch of sayings his grandma always said about various reasons to beat children.

When I was a kid I thought her name was Romana like on Doctor Who. When I learned it's actually pronounced Ra-moan-a, I thought it sounded stupid. (Sorry to anyone named Ramona.)

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I also remember a kids book I checked out at the school library in the 4th grade and the main characters were two kids who tried to swim across a stream or something and one of them straight up drowned

On My Honor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

vegetables posted:

At least in 90s Britain there was also an ecosystem of harrowing children’s books which teach you the world is cruel and free of justice, which were the ones my parents would buy me.

I remember a lot of books like that. It's like they wanted you to learn as soon as possible that the world is horrible. Anyone else read The Pinballs by Betsy Byars? It's about three kids who are in foster care for various depressing reasons, like one who's in a wheelchair because his drunk-driving father ran over his legs. Byars must've resolved every situation in the book by thinking of what would be the most depressing outcome, like the wheelchair kid really likes KFC and at one point the other characters go out and he hopes they bring some back, but they forget and he's sad. Then another time they do remember to bring some back, but in the meantime something else depressing has happened to him so he's too sad to enjoy it.

redshirt posted:

What was the book about the lost kid who lived in a tree and ate acorn soup?

My Side of the Mountain.

ChickenHeart posted:

Another pivotal part of my childhood was tracking down and reading as many "Choose Your Own Adventure" books that I could get my hands on. The Goosebumps ones were probably my favorite.

Nothing R.L. Stine loved more than burning children alive with volcanoes and evil curses.

Those sorts of books were always disturbing because all the bad things were happening to 'you' instead of some character. One that sticks in my mind had a bad ending that went "The last thing you ever see is a shotgun butt rushing toward your face."

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

redshirt posted:

Did you cheat at CYOA books?

Inside UFO 54-40 famously had an ending you couldn't reach by making choices in the story, only by just flipping to that part and reading it:

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2024

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

No idea if it's middle school reading of any sort, in class or found by one's own self or whatnot, but I recently found out that the author of Picnic at Hanging Rock supposedly wrote a chapter that explained the deep mystery of the book.

The missing chapter was finally published as The Secret of Hanging Rock twenty years after the novel (and a few years after the author's death). But I always liked the movie better than the book (or that mini-series from a few years ago).

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh, there is another book that I think about a lot, Bud Not Buddy, about a kid in the 20s who hitchhikes to Grand Rapids, Michigan, because he's convinced his father is a famous jazz musician. I loved jazz growing up so it was really cool to me to read such an energetic period piece.

I read that just last year. The idea is that the kid's mother dies and he never knew his father, but she had photos of the musician so he assumes that must be his father. The kid walks in while the band is practicing and just says to the guy "You're my father." Everyone says stuff like "He can't be your father" but no one asks the most obvious question, "Why do you think he's your father?" And the kid actually starts living and traveling with the band, who still don't ask anything. I counted, and sixty pages pass between the kid meeting the guy and him giving any explanation for why he thinks he's his father. I know it's a kids book but that would've bugged me as a kid.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 29, 2024