Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

I dunno, I really identified with him in the book where his parents moved and he started jerking it to the rich girl next door.

I only found Then Again Maybe I Won't a few years ago. It probably would have made a big impression of me if it had been in our library with the other Judy Blume books!

wesleywillis posted:

As mentioned, the Quimbys always seemed to be on the verge of bankruptcy and Ramona was sad when her mom slapped her dad in the hand with a spatula after someone forgot to turn on the fuckin crockpot in the morning.

I have to admit though, that one kid really pissed me off. Who is that "one kid"? I don't remember that little fucker's name. It was in the book where they got a new addition on the Quimby house and at show and tell or some poo poo, Ramona was all like "some guys came and chopped a hole in the side of our house" and when people asked her about it, the kid accused her of lying. Despite having seen the hole.

When she confronted him about it later, he was all like "you lied, they didn't CHOP a hole in the side of your house, they used saws and CUT a hole, so you're WRONG".

The kid was technically right but man did I ever want to stomp on that fuckin kids throat and jaw.

Howie Kemp, he is actually Ramona's friend mostly.
(Also his technically-correct point was that the builders came and pried the siding off the house where the new room was going to be constructed)

dividertabs posted:

The first books in the series were from the perspective of Henry Higgins. His friend and neighbor was Beatrice "Beezus." Beezus's bratty annoying tag-along little sister was Ramona, similar Fudge. Later books switched to focus on Beezus, and then to Ramona.

At that age I really liked, and I still appreciate, the perspective shifts and how Ramona matured into a likeable narrator.

When I was a wee lad, I didn't like the shift in perspectives from Henry to Ramona, but now I realise that Henry and Beezus are actually pretty boring characters for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Also, I take a photo of my books in a series to aid in thrift shopping, so now you get to see my Blume collection.

I love the old airbrushed covers.
The photoshop collage ones are godawful.
The "modern" minimalistic ones are hit-or-miss.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

coronatae posted:

Daphne's Book was something I randomly picked up at the library because I like the name Daphne. Think about the class weirdo nobody wants to be friends with. Think about getting paired with them for an assignment to write a picture book. Think about eventually coming to like her and being her friend. And then finding out she lives in a run-down farmhouse with her little sister and her grandmother, who has dementia, with no power or water. It's sad as hell but I remember liking it.

I feel like almost every book I remember from my childhood is because they were either somehow subversive or depressing.

There was one where the kid's parents got divorced and his mom remarried some arborist who have her a tree on the first date. Couldn't tell you anything else about it!

Even Ramona was somehow a bit depressing in the era where her dad lost his job and the family had no money. Plus there's Dear Mr. Henshaw.