Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I read a lot of Gary Paulsen books, mostly having to do with survival in the woods (The Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter) or at sea (Voyage of the Frog).

There was one that stood out though "The Car". It's about a 14-year-old kid with loser parents who end up leaving each other "Dear John" letters on the same night, thus accidentally abandoning the kid.

So he does what any other 14 year old boy would do: assemble a kit car in his garage that his dad owned but never got around to and hit the open road. Later he befriends some Army Ranger Vietnam veterans, I remember the book ending abruptly during a huge fight at a roadhouse.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does anyone remember The Ear, the Eye and the Arm?

I vaguely recall them being mutant detectives in a sort of future city setting that had a walled nature preserve where I think a kidnapped kid was taken to.

I read that one too, pretty interesting. It took place in Zimbabwe in the 2100s which I thought was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Westing Game was pretty fun. It's a mystery with a wide variety of interesting characters and feels like an Agatha Christie story.

Also taught me what a "bookie" is.

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 27, 2024

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Anyone else have to read A Separate Peace in middle school and have no idea at the time about the actual relationship of the main characters?

That doesn't seem possible