Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I remember in one of the books he got his face blasted open by running full speed headfirst into a jungle gym

So I hope that’s some consolation for you OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

credburn posted:

Bruce Coville was my first "favorite author." I ate all his poo poo up.

But the best is obv

I read the two sequel books (Howliday Inn and Return to Howliday Inn) countless times on family road trips. gently caress yeah.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PizzaProwler posted:

It was the 19th floor that was missing

And it was the “Nineteenth Story.”

As in, the nineteenth story of the book consisted of simply, “There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.”

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This thread reminded me of The 18th Emergency.

It’s a short-form fiction about a nerdy kid who doodles a lot, usually by drawing arrows to stuff with funny captions. One day he draws an arrow pointing to an ancient hominid because it reminds him of the school bully, only the bully sees him do it.

So the whole book is about him trying to figure out a way out of getting beaten up, because he and his friend spend their time planning on ways to get out of emergencies like lying down in quicksand or shoving your arm down a lion’s throat. They have 17 scenarios planned so far, hence the title.

It’s a quirky coming of age book with a weird sense of dread, and unlike a lot of stories where you think the bully will get his comeuppance or something, the main character does indeed get the poo poo beat out of him.