Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Have a copy of Bruce Coville's The Search for Snout here in my hands, and the illustrations are credited to his wife, Katherine Coville.

Oh to be a husband-and-wife team making the weirdest kids media of the 90s

Katherine Coville’s illustrations were p drat sweet iirc

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There was a year of elementary school that Maniac Magee fever struck and every kid was checking it out of the library.

Looking up the summary on Wikipedia, there was a lot we missed in the context. We just thought it was cool because this kid legend skipped school and had a poem made up about him.

That was my favorite book in all of elementary school and I want to give my copy of it to my daughter but I doubt she’d read it. It’s okay though, I think she knows well enough the lessons it was trying to teach without reading it.

I read a lot of books in these two series, The Great Brain (JD Fitzgerald) and Soup (Robert Newton Peck). Just a bunch of stories about tweens doing dumb poo poo at the turn of the century and the ‘30s, respectively. They were contemporary with Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume but I assume they were considerably lesser known. I read pretty much all of whatever they’d written that was published up to the late ‘80s.

root beer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Fudge, for essentially no reason at all (or a dumb kid reason that basically translates to 'No Reason at all'), decides to eat Dribble. Yes, he just swallows the turtle (again, very small). And of course, all the attention and care goes to the brat who did this, first to get the turtle out, and then to celebrate him being 'all better', never mind he killed his older brother's pet.

And then they give him a fuckin mynah bird in the second book

I hated the TV show, somehow Fudge was even worse, that fuckin kid

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

They were basically just YA melodrama but I enjoyed his Pigman books

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Extra Large Marge posted:

I read a lot of Gary Paulsen books, mostly having to do with survival in the woods (The Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter) or at sea (Voyage of the Frog).

In the small reading group I was in (four of us, we were ~gifted~), we did a unit where we’d read books like that with kids who’d been lost in the wilderness in some way, like Hatchet or Island of the Blue Dolphins.

There was one called The Cay, about a white kid, Philip, from England—can’t remember whether he was privileged or just a regular white kid—whose ship wrecked on the coast of an island in the Caribbean in the inter-war period of the 20th century. In the wreck he was struck by a load-bearing wooden plank and left blinded. He was taken in and cared for by an old guy, Timothy, who’d been, can’t totally remember, a slave or the son of a slave. It ended with Philip being rescued after a hurricane hit the island, and Timothy died protecting him, basically being sandblasted by debris carried in the storm winds.*

I don’t know if it’d be well-received these days because Timothy was written with a heavy Afro-Caribbean accent, but I liked his character anyway and was super bummed by the ending. I don’t remember whether I’d read the sequel, in which Philip revisits the island—or even if there was a sequel and I’m just thinking of Hatchet, where in the sequels the kid definitely returns to the wilderness where he’d been stranded.

There was another book, called Homecoming, about a few kids whose single mother left them, and they eventually catch up to her to learn she is schizophrenic and in a catatonic state. Looking back, I wonder if our teacher was going through something because, drat, what a weird theme we were dealing with in that class.

*I might not have all the details right because I’m pulling everything off the top of the dome here

root beer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 25, 2024

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

My jam in elementary school was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, which was like a Celtic inspired high fantasy story. For those unfamiliar, the Disney movie "The Black Cauldron" is an adaptation of the first two books. Actually, The Black Cauldron was the second book in the series, but for the movie they combined the villain of the first book (The Book of Three) with the main villain of the overall series.

Hell yeah Chronicles of Prydain. I burned through that series in a week. Great steppingstone for me to other fantasy stuff like Shannara, Book of Swords, Wheel of Time, leading eventually to Tolkien. Now that I think about it, I’ve never even seen The Black Cauldron.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyone remember the Indian in the Cupboard? It was a series of 4 books I think about this cupboard that transports people from the past into the present via toy models. IIRC it was set in Britain?

Loved those books; Boone, the sad alcoholic cowboy, was my favorite

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

My mom decided to read Homecoming and she really got into it and sought out Dicey’s Song. I may have to let her know there are more that follow, if she remembers.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

When my sister was in middle school, she was into terminally ill teen melodrama by Lurlene McDaniel; here’s a selection from dozens:

—Mother, Please Don’t Die
—Why Did She Have To Die
—If I Should Die Before I Wake
—Last Dance
—Letting Go of Lisa
—Too Young to Die
—Time to Let Go
—Mourning Song
—Baby Alicia Is Dying

From the “One Last Wish” series, which seems pretty much like all the others?

—All The Days Of Her Life
—Sixteen And Dying
—Reach for Tomorrow
—A Time to Die
—Please Don’t Die
—Mourning Song
—She Died Too Young
—Mother, Help Me Live
—Someone Dies, Someone Lives
—A Season for Goodbye
—Let Him Live

She’d often add a horse girl element:
—Where’s the Horse for Me / Three’s a Crowd
—A Horse for Mandy (featuring a dreamboat who ends up dying of mouth cancer, from his chaw habit)

I get it, there is a need for ways to cope with situations like this—McDaniel has a son with type I diabetes so she wanted to write about kids with life-changing illnesses. But I don’t know what percentage of girls who read these books were actually dying or were dating guys who were dying, so it all ends up seeming more like she’s just churning out a ton of very niche teen romance.

Anyway, sometimes I’d get bored and read the last chapter and fake spoil it for my sister.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I hazily remember the Red Fern movie, was Wilford Brimley in it? Or was that the sequel, in which the kid from the book is grown up and inexplicably had his leg amputated in the time between?

I may be thinking of something else altogether.

[edit] it was indeed the sequel, he lost his leg in WWII, and it also starred Lisa Whelchel (Blair from The Facts of Life)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

I was returning to this thread to post that when I remembered it.

JESUS CHRIST, even for young adult melodrama, Blubber is basically 'young teenage girls are innate psychopathic sadists who once they decide they want to destroy someone for fun, induce a torture routine that dictator secret police would take notice of', backed up by sheer utter banality. The main tormentor, Wendy, is basically shown to have no scruples or actual beliefs at all: she stooges out two of her so-called friends because, well, we never find out, probably because she'd find it funny, and when one of them finally puts her foot down, she drops a racial slur in regards to that person's (Chinese) best friend. And just to top it off, no one learns anything, no one really gets punished for their awful behavior, the adults are completely useless, and by the end there's just been a bunch of musical chairs in regards to 'friendships', when it's been demonstrated that to this vicious lot, 'friendship' is mostly just a series of power based transactions.

In the days of cyber bullying and much greater awareness of suicide, it basically reads as the equivalent of splatterpunk horror for young female social interaction. Either be a monster perfect alpha nightmare bitch who has all the power, or pray you never draw their ilk's attention, or else your life will be hell and there will be nothing you can do to prevent it.

The worst part is, it's not like the book is WHOLLY unrealistic, because I'm sure plenty of people have stories about how monstrous teenagers of both sexes, with their not yet proper developed empathy brain centers, can be, and just how banally (really, that's what gets me the most, the BANALITY of the acts) they can act if they're very slow to develop them or, for one reason or another, just don't. I recall a story (so, pure hearsay but whatever) of someone who went to a bad school, there was a feud between two older teenage girls over a boy, one was pregnant, and the other when there was some big distraction (I think a legit fire?) decided this was the best time to attack/'get back' at her 'enemy', which she did by attacking the heavily pregnant girl on the stairs and deliberately stomping/jumping on her belly to attempt to kill the unborn child. Just so she could hurt her 'rival', completely oblivious to just how far over the line and 'you can't take this back' such an action can/could be. But, again, this is a story heard secondhand so it could well be wholly made up, but I think it says it all that you can't dismiss the possibility that a teenage girl could be that ignorantly monstrous.

My daughter is going to be 12 this September, and I have been dreading for years her inevitable middle school experience. Mine was terrible, as most people’s were, but at least I’m a guy and my experience was primarily one of isolation and loneliness. Fortunately, we found out about a public school in our area that focuses on art, so we enrolled her there and her friends will all be going there as well, and I think it’s going to be a place where everyone there is sort of in that outcast weirdo crowd, so there will be a greater deal of commonality—and thus empathy—among them. But good christ I still worry that her adolescence will be like what’s described in that book.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

CoffeeBoofer posted:

Maniac Mcgee and Spider-Boy

GREAT loving BOOKS

Hell yeah Maniac Magee, still have my copy at my parents’ house

Also, don’t forget, noted turtle swallower Farley Drexel “Fudge” Hatcher was given a loving mynah bird because he was such a precious smartboy

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

I met some dude who's last name was Pritchard years ago and I was immediately suspicious of him

Did you call him Prick for short?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Even as a 6 year old the boxcar kids didn't sit right with me because like 2/3s of the way through the first book they were adopted by a rich guy who moves the boxcar into his back yard so they can keep playing house in it. Stolen hobo valor.

Didn’t they still have hobo dinners of milk and bread after being taken in by papaw moneysacks? Seemed like the lifestyle gave them Stockholm syndrome. Also, Benny was a little poo poo. Wish they sold him for some Thunderbird or something.