Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Did anyone ever read the CYOA series about the Space Hawks? I only read "The Fiber People" which was book 5 of 6 in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

I was blown. AWAY. When I learned Shel Silverstein had this whole adult side. Eye opening.

For me that was Roald Dahl. I wondered why the author I knew for goant peaches and chocolate factories had stories about a hitchhiking pickpocket, a gambler with X-ray vision, and I think about getting beaten up at boarding school.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Does anyone remember a series of stories that appeared in elementary school literature books about a group of kids being abducted by these aliens they called "pop-eyes" because they had eyestalks? One of the children was deaf, and the planet had some kind of hostile fungus or plant and the kids manage to beat their captors by throwing grass mats over the plastic roadways the plant couldn't usually bypass.

It took three years to read because we only got a single chapter in the new book each half-year from grades 4 through 6.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

Sylvia’s Mother is a banger.

I got to see that live :)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

When I was 3-4 my mom used the entire Narnia series to teach me how to read. Since I had received roughly zero religious instruction at that point all the Christian stuff went completely over my head and I thought they were just fun fantasy adventure stories. I'll swear allegiance to a magic talking lion, why not? It was pretty wild to read a few as an adult and see just how aggressively religious they are.

C.S. Lewis straight-up said Aslan is not an allegory for Jesus, he's the form Jesus would take in a fantastic world like Narnia.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Loved Wrinkle in Time. Didn't appreciate it until I got older, though.

My fave story about it is when a friend hadn't read it and decided to read it all during a long drive. When he got to the ending he must not have liked it because he started ranting, saying "Love!? They kill the giant brain with LOVE!?" Which I still find a hilarious reaction to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I remember that one. The kid took a, "I wont tell any jokes for a month" pledge, and his comedy got better because he evolved an internal filter. People also started being nicer to him because he wasn't running his mouth 24/7 trying to be funny.

Oh drat, now I remember that book. I think he was gonna get a SNES if he held his promise but blew it at the last minute on purpose.