Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the secret to Goosebumps's success and staying power was like 90% cover art/design. If you're a 7 year old in the mid 90s that poo poo is basically irresistible. The books weren't bad but they weren't especially amazing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone else a fan of Hank the Cowdog as a kid? Basically a ranch dog narrating his life and framing barking at some opossums or eating some roadkill or whatever as an epic western showdown. The books on tape read by the author were great.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Where the Red Fern Grows made me really want to buy some hounds and go coon hunting for like a week, which feels kind of strange in retrospect.

When I was 3-4 my mom used the entire Narnia series to teach me how to read. Since I had received roughly zero religious instruction at that point all the Christian stuff went completely over my head and I thought they were just fun fantasy adventure stories. I'll swear allegiance to a magic talking lion, why not? It was pretty wild to read a few as an adult and see just how aggressively religious they are.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I read Walk Two Moons the same year my mom left me with my paternal grandma and step-grandpa so that book hit in a very, very personal way that's hard for a 9 year old to explain.

Books I haven't seen mentioned but I read a ton of are the Dear America books, where the premise is the books are diaries of girls set during a part of American history. They haven't aged well over all but I will never, ever forget reading the Oregon Trail book and the graphic discription of the main character's friend drowning while crossing a river because she was too fat to escape the covered wagon. There was a ton of death and kind of dark poo poo in those books. My favorite was the one set on the Titanic where our main character's crush dies.

I also read most of the Boxcar Kids books and repeatedly read The Egypt Game.

Even as a 6 year old the boxcar kids didn't sit right with me because like 2/3s of the way through the first book they were adopted by a rich guy who moves the boxcar into his back yard so they can keep playing house in it. Stolen hobo valor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

emSparkly posted:

I mean I would have been excited to break through puberty milestones too if I actually went through the version that matched my gender identity.

My mom got me puberty book for boys with a full size picture of an orchidometer the reader could hold their balls up to, and I did! Now that's quality children's literature.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 28, 2024