Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I had 7 squads by the end, but one was generally lovely and the last was a beastman team that was very feast or famine (but a lot of fun to watch when it did work). The very last map was one of the few times where I felt like you really needed to spread yourself out that put most of those groups to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I used as many units as possible because stamina imposes a limit on how much killing you can get out of an elite unit, and stopping to rest at a garrison or deploying a mantlet is obviously unthinkable. I'm in a hurry here.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

I used as many units as possible because stamina imposes a limit on how much killing you can get out of an elite unit, and stopping to rest at a garrison or deploying a mantlet is obviously unthinkable. I'm in a hurry here.

There's multiple solutions to this without slowing down. The unit that captures a town or fort gets +2 stamina. Campfires give all your units in a big aoe stamina back, and are usually positioned near the critical path. Rosalinde and Eltolinde have a valor skill that trades 3 valor for removing wait time, which means people can rest and then instantly be ready again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Or just use one of 100 stamina recovery items sitting around your inventory by the end of the game.

That said it's still pretty fun to have a wave of death roll across the map in the late game. Although I do remember that one optional map where you have to fight both north and south did desire a lot of deployed units. That was probably one of my favorite maps and I wish there were more like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never hesitate to use any items, you get so many. Anyone gets tired, pop a food it's basically free

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was already using the stamina recovery items. The two stamina you regain from capturing a fort isn't nearly enough to get you to the next fort, so eventually you've got to deploy more guys, which you can sustain longer when you have more guys to deploy.

More to the point, I constantly had more ideas for unit builds than I had room for units.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Rascyc posted:

Or just use one of 100 stamina recovery items sitting around your inventory by the end of the game.

That said it's still pretty fun to have a wave of death roll across the map in the late game. Although I do remember that one optional map where you have to fight both north and south did desire a lot of deployed units. That was probably one of my favorite maps and I wish there were more like that.

Ok but you only get 10 items per stage and that goes by pretty quick

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I always figured the play was to deploy a few capable squads, take the first few bases, then deploy fresh units while resting the first guys.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There's rarely more than 2 or 3 meaningfully spaced out objectives so a lot of times you can send 2 squads after each. Between them you have 9-10 stamina, plus whatever you pick up from forts and campfires along the way. There are also Valor skills and items that recover stamina in an AOE. I think I only rested or had units hang out on captured forts a handful of times across the entire game. Stamina is definitely a mechanic you need to think about, but there are a lot of ways to solve it and having a ton of squads to swap in when one is exhausted is only one solution.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's some maps that encourage splitting but but they're basically all in Drakenhold. Not coincidentally, all the best maps are in Drakenhold. But otherwise, it's pretty easy and even optimal to just send everybody in a big blob towards the goal and hit them all with every campfire along the way

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I currently have 10 units of 4 and mostly use all of them. Encourages you to gently caress around with weird or funny party comp

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fedule posted:

I always figured the play was to deploy a few capable squads, take the first few bases, then deploy fresh units while resting the first guys.

Yeah especially if you have non-horse/bird squads. If you deploy em at the start you might as well not bother because they get around so slow. Though sometimes you can pop a big feather at the start and just zerg rush the map in 4 directions and that's pretty cool on bigger maps.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So why does enabling support attacks on your side sometimes result in doing less damage/receiving more? I've never followed through with that result to see what's actually happening.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It resets the RNG so misses and crits happen differently.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
HP thresholds can also change, so the enemy's move selections might be different too

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just started playing this and my biggest question was what do I spend this honor on but it looks like there was discussion. Seems like having larger units is better than having more units? At the start it doesn't feel like I have enough honor to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I had 8 units by the end and really I only used maybe four of those max for anything more than base defense