Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unicorn Overlord is an upcoming (releasing on March 8th) Strategy RPG/Tactics RPG developed by VanillaWare (13 Sentinels, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere).

What's the game like? Is it Fire Emblem?

Not really.

It is most comparable to the Ogre Battle series. Gameplay progresses with you controlling your units in real time on an overworld map, with you sending them to various locations to shop, recruit new allies, and run into enemies. You are allowed some degree of freedom in the order you tackle various objectives. The game's premise is that you're an exiled prince trying to take back your country, so the order you in which you reclaim said country, or visit neighboring ones, seems somewhat freeform, though things like enemy levels act as soft guidance. That said, it's possible to defeat higher level enemies with good strategy.

When you enter battle, you enter a smaller map where you also move your units around in real time. When two units meet, they engage in combat.

Each 'unit' consists of a squad leader, and then various allies in formation with it, forming a squad. There are a variety of both generic unit types and unique named characters (apparently, up to 60 named characters) to fill your squads with. The composition of your squad is key to victory in these battles, as units are weak against certain types of units and strong against others. The squad based combat with its sideview is reminiscent of obscure PS2 SRPG Soul Nomad. Characters take action in in turns in combat based on tactics you preplan before battle, similar to Final Fantasy XII.

The game also uses Fire Emblem style support conversations called Rapports to flesh out the various named characters.

There is a demo currently available on Switch. It will be available on PS4/PS5/Xbox tomorrow.

Is there a PC port planned?
Sadly, there's been no mention of one. As stated above, it's available on every current console, including the PS4.

How does it run on Switch?
I've only played it docked, but it runs smoothly, with only very mild (I'm talking maybe a few frames) dips for things like spell effects. The developers' previous Switch releases have all been great, so there shouldn't be any performance concerns.

How long is the Demo?
I got about 5 hours of playtime out of it.

Will my save carry over?
Yes.

anyway the demos good go play it if you have a switch, or uh in ??? hours if youre on ps/xbox

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

UNICORN OVERLORD

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm glad Vanillaware has moved away from Dragon's Crown art style. Good to know the progress carries over because I'm really interested in this game after playing 13 Sentinels.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Might check it out on PS5.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Runa posted:

UNICORN OVERLORD

That's right.

Anyway I will be buying this videogame

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm glad Vanillaware has moved away from Dragon's Crown art style. Good to know the progress carries over because I'm really interested in this game after playing 13 Sentinels.
i dont think its really 'moved away from,' dragons crown was intentionally going for a kind of excess

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Runa posted:

UNICORN OVERLORD

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Curious if level ups are fixed, fired up a new game to test after finishing the demo but reloading doesn’t seem to change stats on level up at least.

Gonna wait to poke EXPERT until PS5 demo releases, although Vanillaware games have never really been that difficult.

Game seems to run fine on the switch at least.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Endorph posted:

i dont think its really 'moved away from,' dragons crown was intentionally going for a kind of excess

I'm sure there's a big boob lady with a huge rear end somewhere in this game but I can live with that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Never been disappointed with a single Vanillaware game so I will definitely be purchasing UNICORN OVERLORD.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm sure there's a big boob lady with a huge rear end somewhere in this game but I can live with that.
id also like to live with one

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh poo poo the 8th?
Playing through FFVII Remake in preparation for Rebirth on the 29th. This on the 8th. Dragon Dogma 2 on March 22nd and I still haven't gotten around to buying/playing Infinite Wealth or playing FFXVI that I bought with a gift card I got for Christmas.
Man I'm kinda overeating.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Demo on ps/xbox doesn't go live until 9pm pst apparently, which is definitely not today if you live in a real country :mad:

Very eager to try this game out as I loved Ogre Battle back in the day and to my knowledge nothing quite like it ever really followed. This would be my first vanillaware game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm not really sure if this game goes by set level ups or it's all on growth rates. Usually nobody gets more then one or two stats on a level but sometimes Alain just has gets half his numbers going up. I need to figure out how to make Lex not suck.

Oh dear. There are support ranks and conversations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lex seems like hes just alain but worse, but alain is really good so having a second him can be useful for plugging gaps. i dont think hes squad leader material though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Lex's role is to be a tank. His problem is that his class lacks the lopsided defenses of hoplites, the evasion of thieves, or the self-sustain of Alain, so he's just kind unsustainable and crappy until you unlock actual healers for him. Then his more balanced defenses become a bit more attractive because he doesn't instantly vaporize the nanosecond a magic attack happens like Hodrick does.

Note that unit leader status only affects your movement type and your leader passive, so you can swap leaders in a unit around pre-deployment based on stage conditions without changing how the unit is composed.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 22, 2024

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I am excited to buy and play UNICORN OVERLORD.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Need like a fight game announcer to say UNICORN OVERLORD

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nephrite posted:

I am excited to buy and play UNICORN OVERLORD.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj_4Z4VkF9o&t=26s

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does anyone know if the 16-bit music is just for the arranged purchased soundtracks or have they talked about putting them in the game too? This one -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR-OFLuA-lQ

I like that Vanillaware remains dedicated to their music even though it's usually the art style that seems to be their signature. I absolutely love all their soundtracks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I stand by the idea that Unicorn Overlord needs to be shouted by a Japanese super robot pilot with a bit of distortion to their voice.

Unicorn OVERLOOOOOOOOOORD!
*99,9999 damage*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So far I haven't seen a unicorn in any of the promotional material

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well of course not, it's the Overlord, you don't show the final boss off when you could be showing sexy owls instead.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Very excited after playing the demo. Vanillaware doesn't miss

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Why isn't it March 8 yet???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glad that coming in here everyone also thinks Lex is bad and giving you the Lex/Chloe unit for that first battle was not optimal lol.

I'm curious what the difference between standard and expert difficulty is. I chose Expert off the bat since I'm an Ogre Battle vet but I still had to use the Super-Unit Josef for quite a bit of battles when Alain was occupied---Lex was useless. Wondering if it affects time limit, enemy skills/strength, etc.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

I will be honest, when I first saw the game I thought it was more like a Studio Aping Vanillaware rather than Vanillaware proper. On the other hand, like you said, Dragon's Crown was its own planet so maybe that was bending my expectations a bit.

Also, the Vanillaware standard is not big beautiful sprites or good music, but lavishly designed UIs, and this game delivers.

FAKE EDIT: Man, one of these days I should hop back on 13 Sentinels, even if it has been so long since I dropped off that I would be confused about...everything.

REAL EDIT: I will never get tired of the unique Vanillaware logos for each game.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 22, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can tell it is real Vanillaware if there is food that makes you desperately hungry just looking at it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm curious, not having played Vanillawares other games and not having followed 13 Sentinels before it came out, how did they sell that game? Cause looking at this, it looks like a very well executed tactical strategy game, which is great obviously, more good entries in that genre, always appreciated. I'm just wondering if I should be expecting plot fuckery and wild swings in that regard like 13 Sentinels had alongside that or not.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Lex starts looking better when archers are around to counter your thiefy guys dodge tanking since he can intercept fire, but yeah for the first 3 fights maybe have Lex just take 5.

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm curious, not having played Vanillawares other games and not having followed 13 Sentinels before it came out, how did they sell that game? Cause looking at this, it looks like a very well executed tactical strategy game, which is great obviously, more good entries in that genre, always appreciated. I'm just wondering if I should be expecting plot fuckery and wild swings in that regard like 13 Sentinels had alongside that or not.

I wouldn't say Vanilliaware is know for big plot twists or anything but I didn't play 13 Sentinels.

Right off the plot is big general goes traitor and forms evil empire, with a sketchy looking wizard in his retinue that's probably working for the devil or something. Which is fine but basic enough I'd like if they got weird with it.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 22, 2024

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The character and environmental art for this game are on the next level for me. The soft, painted style works so well for a fantasy war game. I hope the story is on par with FFT/Tactics Ogre/Triangle Strategy as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I can't remember many big plot twists in Muramasa or Odinsphere. The narratives there were functional but not earthshattering works of storytelling. Vanillaware is always about The Vibes i.e. rock solid gameplay and aesthetics, although 13 Sentinels was a departure from that somewhat when it focused more on the storylines. This is also a joint venture with Atlus so they probably aint lying when they say it's the biggest most fully realized game yet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Take a closer look at the logo in the OP.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

thebardyspoon posted:

13 sentinels was sold as MECHA MECHA MECHA and Vanillaware !art! for years before it ever released. That game was in dev hell for a looooooong time. When it finally hit its marketing time, it was still being marketed heavily on the mecha and survival mystery angles. All the plot stuff was sold via word of mouth after the fact. Which may have been deliberate TBH with how much mystery is in that game.

Doing a full plot is pretty abnormal for Vanillaware so in that respect 13 sentinels is a one off at the moment. The closest to it are GrimGrimoire and maybe Odin Sphere/Murasama and all of those stories move at a fast pace and are kind of secondary to the gameplay. They're almost just like framing devices to give you a brief pause in the gameplay. That said they don't slouch when presenting what little story there is - there's cute animations and high production.

I think we can only speculate for this one. Personally I'm aiming low! Not really here for the story! Hopefully some cute character archetypes though and a very comfortable ride.

[e] Vibes is the right description IMO

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rascyc posted:

13 sentinels was sold as MECHA MECHA MECHA and Vanillaware !art! for years before it ever released. That game was in dev hell for a looooooong time. When it finally hit its marketing time, it was still being marketed heavily on the mecha and survival mystery angles. All the plot stuff was sold via word of mouth after the fact. Which may have been deliberate TBH with how much mystery is in that game.

Doing a full plot is pretty abnormal for Vanillaware so in that respect 13 sentinels is a one off at the moment. The closest to it are GrimGrimoire and maybe Odin Sphere/Murasama and all of those stories move at a fast pace and are kind of secondary to the gameplay. They're almost just like framing devices to give you a brief pause in the gameplay.

I think we can only speculate for this one. Personally I'm aiming low! Not really here for the story! Hopefully some cute character archetypes though

Yeah, from what I played of the demo the story is pretty much a no frills "Plucky Resistance vs Evil Empire" story, and I am completely fine with that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WaltherFeng posted:

I feel like Scarlette already fits that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is scary to me, I really like what i've played of the demo so far on Switch, but i'm afraid that i'll be too dumb to complete the full game. It seems like the difficulty and mechanics you have to engage with to get through even the easiest setting, is a bit too much for my smooth brain. Really love how the game plays though, the graphics and art style are great. I like running around the open world and exploring and fighting, it just feels really good and fun to do.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Demo runs fine on Switch but I am curious about the PS5 demo, if it allows for higher rez art. That said I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
would like to note that the demo runs fine in yuzu, for anyone who wants to play on pc but doesn't want to wait for news about a pc port when vanillaware's never done one in the past