Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I'm hyped for Unicorns, thankfully my childhood has prepared me for this. Both with ogre battle and unicorns

What I wasn't prepared for was the return of my FE level up RNG because goddang,,,, loved getting +1 MAG on clive for a whole level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, that's the one thing so far I don't like. I don't like it in FE and I don't like it here. I had big shield guy get Mag+ two levels in a row

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

i love ogre

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

glad that coming in here everyone also thinks Lex is bad and giving you the Lex/Chloe unit for that first battle was not optimal lol.

I'm curious what the difference between standard and expert difficulty is. I chose Expert off the bat since I'm an Ogre Battle vet but I still had to use the Super-Unit Josef for quite a bit of battles when Alain was occupied---Lex was useless. Wondering if it affects time limit, enemy skills/strength, etc.

i started in tactical mode before bumping it up to expert because i got bored.

enemies are stronger and the time limit is shorter, so you have to be more careful and efficient with your unit compositions, but it might also make the enemy AI more aggressive. i left my HQ open on one map and a single enemy unit beelined straight for it. thankfully you can basically teleport units between garrisons!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
drat this game looks really cool, i think i might get i..

Endorph posted:

Is there a PC port planned?
Sadly, there's been no mention of one. As stated above, it's available on every current console, including the PS4.

oh well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verviticus posted:

drat this game looks really cool, i think i might get i..

oh well.
you can emulate it at least, but yeah rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dackel posted:

I'm hyped for Unicorns, thankfully my childhood has prepared me for this. Both with ogre battle and unicorns

What I wasn't prepared for was the return of my FE level up RNG because goddang,,,, loved getting +1 MAG on clive for a whole level
im not sure levels are rng, at least not fully, cause i also had the just magic level for clive. this is just a guess but the vibe i get is that the characters have set 'expectations' for each level breakpoint, like 5, 10, 15, etc, and their levels to get there are randomized but they will largely conform to those stats by the time they hit them.

also yeah, the plot seems pretty barebones here. theyre pitching it as a throwback to classic 90s tactics games. im sure there will be some twists and the basic writing is competent, theres nothing in it that really bugs me besides mind control being a pretty lazy way to set up a lot of the villains, but at the same time thats largely a gameplay conceit to justify most of the random bosses joining you. which, again, suggests that the plot is secondary to the gameplay.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Not EVERYONE is mind controlled at least. You still got your bandits, mercenaries and wizards with inferiority complexes kicking around. Not sure if the odd option to Execute/Imprison/convince to join is playing into a Chaos Frame of some kind.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cant wait to overlord some unicorns

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They've said that it's possible to recruit everyone in a single playthrough without needing to know any secret tricks or arcane mechanics, although that are cases where you might deliberately choose to, for example, execute someone instead of letting them join.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The initial premise being basically identical to Fire Emblem 1's definitely seems intentional.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I could see a second act after the Emperor is defeated.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah the plot is my main worry. There’s being a throwback and there’s being boring. Still very interested to give it a whirl though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah the plot is my main worry. There’s being a throwback and there’s being boring. Still very interested to give it a whirl though.
the plots fine i think. its fairly rote but they do a decent job giving most of the cast something to say and the writing isnt really annoying, and theres some decent lines. it definitely lands more in throwback than boring even if it isnt really the highlight of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it'll depend on how the game goes but I enjoyed Fire Emblem Engage and I can't imagine Overlord being more by the numbers than that.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

pro tip: resting a unit within range of enemy units is Very Dumb and you should not do that. ask me how i know!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've never been able to get into Fire Emblem but I really loved the fairly recent Symphony of War and some classics like FFTA, Shining Force 2, Advance Wars, Battle for Wesnoth, and Heroes of Might n Magic. This is looking like an interesting blend of those games and the visual animated illustration style I really dig. Hoping the Yuzu/Ryujin version runs well quickly, super weird they'd release it on PC but not actually release it on PC. I get the weird math for Nintendo but not sure what motivation they have to arbitrarily avoid universal platform sales.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

the plots fine i think. its fairly rote but they do a decent job giving most of the cast something to say and the writing isnt really annoying, and theres some decent lines. it definitely lands more in throwback than boring even if it isnt really the highlight of the game

Fingers crossed then. I think I'm mostly interested in the overworld map and the seeming ability to gently caress off and do the liberation in whatever direction you're feeling. Emphasis on 'seeming' ability.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I can't believe we're getting an Ogre Battle game in 2024. That's insane. That's crazy.

I was 14 when OB64 came out. I played Knights of Lodis, but that was a Tactics game

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
If VanillaWare did release their games on PC at present, it would probably be with performance-wrecking DRM. This is the approach Atlus and Capcom seem to be taking lately!

The morally optimal solution is to buy a console version, and play via emulator.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Kinda wish there was an option to cancel rest or a confirmation if they’re not at 0 fatigue since I definitely fat fingered rest a few times.

Also me: mashing that execute button on every unsympathetic dude who offers to join

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

Kinda wish there was an option to cancel rest or a confirmation if they’re not at 0 fatigue since I definitely fat fingered rest a few times.
i think they want resting to be a commitment rather than just having every unit take a quick rest after every single fight to make stamina infinite. but yaeh a confirmation would be nice

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Concurred posted:

I can't believe we're getting an Ogre Battle game in 2024. That's insane. That's crazy.

I was 14 when OB64 came out. I played Knights of Lodis, but that was a Tactics game

Ogre Battle 64 was my first Ogre game. It was really cool! So that is why i'm excited about this one.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Corn Lord owns bones

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Captain Oblivious posted:

After the soul-crushing political no-win scenarios of Triangle Tactics I'm just like 'can I have some simple good vs evil stuff please'?
I played Symphony of War right after TT and I gotta tell you the simplicity of the plot was refreshing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Noob question: is there any reason to doubt the damage prediction when the combat system is seemingly completely deterministic?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
As far as I can tell it's completely accurate, the game determines all the crits/dodges/guards/etc. when it displays that screen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Noob question: is there any reason to doubt the damage prediction when the combat system is seemingly completely deterministic?

no reason at all. it calculates all the percentage based stuff before the fight happens, theres no uncertainty.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

mycot posted:

As far as I can tell it's 100% deterministic, but crucially it does not include assist attacks until the assist attacks are activated - so if you're looking at a preview for ordering a unit to attack an enemy that is near, say, an archer watchtower, you won't get an accurate picture of how the assist attack will affect the fight until you're actually engaging the combat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tequila Bob posted:

If VanillaWare did release their games on PC at present, it would probably be with performance-wrecking DRM. This is the approach Atlus and Capcom seem to be taking lately!

The morally optimal solution is to buy a console version, and play via emulator.

I'll just play on my console

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Stamina is kinda wonky, if your caught resting by the baddies reaching way faster then you thought they might and your unit gets pushed against a barrier of some kind so they can't get knocked away the baddies can just keep grinding away long after their own stam has hit zero. Took 20 battle skips of an otherwise very minor enemy unit grinding away at Lex's unit one HP at a time. unable to do anything.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

best way to get stamina back is to stick some tanky boys on a chokepoint, preferably a garrison so that they don't burn through their own stamina, and put your tired boys right behind them to take naps. and this means your tanks get free experience from all the jerks bouncing off of them!

you really have to treat your whole army as complimentary units in this game. it's kind of fun!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

EightFlyingCars posted:

best way to get stamina back is to stick some tanky boys on a chokepoint, preferably a garrison so that they don't burn through their own stamina, and put your tired boys right behind them to take naps. and this means your tanks get free experience from all the jerks bouncing off of them!

you really have to treat your whole army as complimentary units in this game. it's kind of fun!

Honestly I think I could have fed them some nuts or down valor action or something to get out of it? I was having trouble reaching the menu since the "Your about to fight" menu would immediately pop back up. I couldn't even restart the battle before all the annoyance was done.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EightFlyingCars posted:

You don't even really need to do the choke point thing, you just need any ally units near your resting units as a guard. Even if the enemy attacks your resting unit you can still use the shoulder buttons to swap a fresh allied unit in if they're close enough.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm sure there's a big boob lady with a huge rear end somewhere in this game but I can live with that.

Scarlett? I mean she's wearing a turtleneck, but still, lol.

Game seems really good far. I love the art style and I'm looking forward to seeing how the battles ramp once you start to unlock stuff. Plot seems fine so far. I look forward to the full game after I finish FF7R2, whenever that is.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The demo makes me want to replay 13 Sentinels

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm glad that more companies are making Ogre Battle:MOTB-like games now. Symphony of War really made me want a new Ogre Battle game (more than usual) when it came out.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I've never been able to get into Fire Emblem but I really loved the fairly recent Symphony of War and some classics like FFTA, Shining Force 2, Advance Wars, Battle for Wesnoth, and Heroes of Might n Magic. This is looking like an interesting blend of those games and the visual animated illustration style I really dig. Hoping the Yuzu/Ryujin version runs well quickly, super weird they'd release it on PC but not actually release it on PC. I get the weird math for Nintendo but not sure what motivation they have to arbitrarily avoid universal platform sales.

Ryujinx pushed an alread-in-progress sound system update today that happened to fix the demo's sound not working as well, been all right so far after ~3 hours once that updated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Demo's out on PS4/5 and Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's weird that the scene with Aubin at the end of "Call to Action" has you talking about hiring him as a mercenary, and then it just... ends without you hiring him. Is that a limitation of the demo, or just awkward writing, or what?