Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's in your party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Uh, he joins you. Try checking your unit list.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah he joins you and also says 'guess ill join you'

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
He even appears in a tutorial cutscene shortly after that mission.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't notice because I hadn't yet reached the tutorial that activates the unit list button, but that makes sense.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
yo this game rules and i'm surprised this demo is as long as it is. I played for like four hours this morning and it's still going on.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Demo seems very fun. Plot is serviceable but sprites are excellent and the gameplay has lots of potential.

Question for anyone playing in Japanese: what are the classes Hoplite and Huscarl called in Japanese? Curious whether the original text used such particular English/Greek military types, or were translators attempting to convey whatever the Japanese was.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm pretty excited for this game but I was wondering, can you pause at any time to issue orders? Or is it always real time?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can pause

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's even an option to automatically pause every time you return to the battle stage after combat.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I put that on before I hit New Game

Just seemed like the smart thing to do

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sick. My only concern with this kinda game is things happening too fast for me cause of bad eyesight. One other little interface question, when you're selecting units of yours, or enemy units to engage, is using a pointer required or can you toggle through a list?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Anyone compare the Switch version with the other consoles yet?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

unattended spaghetti posted:

Sick. My only concern with this kinda game is things happening too fast for me cause of bad eyesight. One other little interface question, when you're selecting units of yours, or enemy units to engage, is using a pointer required or can you toggle through a list?

L/R toggle between units in range.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

biceps crimes posted:

Anyone compare the Switch version with the other consoles yet?

Apparently the PS5 version has a resolution bump compared to the Switch version:

https://x.com/Yur1_P/status/1760914228381172083?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ps5 version is sharper but i dotn think theres any performances differences at all, and from what i see the docked switch and the ps4 version look about the same

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Did around an hour or so on the PS5, (sidequest) arrested Gammel but that might be an oopsies for later. Wonder what happens if you let him go.

So far I really like it. Guess I'll preorder.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Zurai posted:

L/R toggle between units in range.

gently caress yes! Vanillaware always gets these little interface details correct. It’s not considered accessibility, but it is accessible if that makes sense.

13 Sentinels had incredible audio design that helped a lot for me, and even the RTS segments were quite accessible for someone with limited vision. I’m really happy to hear this.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Vanillaware good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Did around an hour or so on the PS5, (sidequest) arrested Gammel but that might be an oopsies for later. Wonder what happens if you let him go.

So far I really like it. Guess I'll preorder.

In the immediate moment, he goes "drat he actually let me go, I won't forget this"

No idea of any potential consequences after that!!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
seeing the fire emblemheads i follow on youtube try out this game and then immediately thinking 'oh this is by the people who did dragon's crown' as soon as scarlett appeared on screen was a lol

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Games fun but man, I hope the plot can actually go somewhere interesting because this first hour is sub fire emblem.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

In hard mode, are the thieves still reliable dodgetanks? I found an item that gives them +1 PP and it goes hard for making them even more untouchable, but I wonder what other crazy things you can do with that item.

What have been some of y’all’s favorite team compositions? By the end of the demo I was drowning in possibilities for tactical synergies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saucer Crab posted:

Ryujinx pushed an alread-in-progress sound system update today that happened to fix the demo's sound not working as well, been all right so far after ~3 hours once that updated.

Oh right I'm, I guess the demo gives plenty of time to get it all working by launch. Unless the demo stuff carries over and I could just start this weekend?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FAT BATMAN posted:

In hard mode, are the thieves still reliable dodgetanks? I found an item that gives them +1 PP and it goes hard for making them even more untouchable, but I wonder what other crazy things you can do with that item.

What have been some of y’all’s favorite team compositions? By the end of the demo I was drowning in possibilities for tactical synergies.

I used a thief frontline for a unit for the entire expert mode demo and it works fantastically as long as you keep that unit far away from enemy archers or unit types that spam attacks(like units with multiple housecarls), both of which will kill a thief frontline 100% dead. Thief frontline with Alain in the unit is especially reliable, since you can set Alain's "defend ally" up to only trigger if an ally is sufficiently damaged enough and use it as insurance in case the thief has a bad combat round or you really have to force them to fight a bad matchup.

There's a lot of room for experimentation and the demo only really lets us scratch the surface. In the demo content, adding a mounted knight(clive or generic) to basically any unit with a frontline automatically turns that unit into a lawnmower because of how many enemy infantry you see and how strong knights are, though that might change going forward as enemy types get mixed up more. Soldiers feel good early due to how flexible they are, but I'm a little concerned that more specialized units will supplant them over time. For more synergistic compositions, I was having a lot of fun running Auch with the staff you get from beating him that gives a PP move that detonates burning enemies alongside Rolf using the flame bow you get from the Ochlys mission. That unit would almost always functionally delete an enemy unit if the explosion went off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Khanstant posted:

Oh right I'm, I guess the demo gives plenty of time to get it all working by launch. Unless the demo stuff carries over and I could just start this weekend?

demo save data carries over yes. i played a bit of it on yuzu and it works just fine, should be the same for ryujinx

the only real drawback to emulating is that you have to live with the switch's 1080p textures instead of the 4k ones you get on ps5. have to imagine that won't be hard to change whenever switch emulation gets texture modding in the eventual future but, that future is not yet reality i don't think

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 24, 2024

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Intensely jealous of console players. Might be time I finally look into Ryujinx.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Det_no posted:

Intensely jealous of console players. Might be time I finally look into Ryujinx.

I am trying to remember if its Ryujinx or Yuzu that is the better emulator. One of the two I know is much faster on the performance side, but both are equally accurate.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

they're just afraid of the inevitable Unibrow Overlord mod

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh my god, I just realized that every single character acts according to assignable gambits. I am going to waste so much time in this game.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Det_no posted:

Switch emulation is extremely streamlined these days.

I said come in! posted:

I am trying to remember if its Ryujinx or Yuzu that is the better emulator. One of the two I know is much faster on the performance side, but both are equally accurate.

Keep both installed. Historically, Ryujinx for accuracy while Yuzu for performance. Ryujinx has caught up considerably ever since they added Vulkan support and AMD cards getting fixed OpenGL support since last year.

Some games work better on one or the other and Switch save data can be shared between emulators.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Oh my god, I just realized that every single character acts according to assignable gambits. I am going to waste so much time in this game.

Same, I loved FF12 so I have a feeling that I'll love this a lot.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, beat the demo. By surprise. I was expecting the obvious main quest chain to be the end, so I was running around doing all the side quests. But the demo ended when I did the last sidequest in my quest log.

Anyway, game mechanics are great. There's a LOT more strategy in team compositions and choosing the right teams to fight specific enemies than in Ogre Battle, but the battles are overall pretty short and punchy. It's a good combination. I also had fun running around on the world map doing all that stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

demo save data carries over yes. i played a bit of it on yuzu and it works just fine, should be the same for ryujinx

the only real drawback to emulating is that you have to live with the switch's 1080p textures instead of the 4k ones you get on ps5. have to imagine that won't be hard to change whenever switch emulation gets texture modding in the eventual future but, that future is not yet reality i don't think

I'm still on 1440s, and while I don't think this'll get TotK/BotW level modding attention, the fact folks can slap in random models and textures and mod gameplay and such makes me hope there might be an HD mod patch at some point.

Gonna check the demo out this weekend, bad performance hurts more than lower res.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm fairly sensitive to Switch games running like poo poo and I thought the Switch demo ran perfectly fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i said in the op i noticed a couple very slight framedips for a few flashy spell effects but it was not at all a problem

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So is the game like Ogre Battle where you get really weird stuff you can fill out your army with like the various monsters, dragons, golems etc or does it skew more to mostly just people with a variety of weapons and magic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zore posted:

So is the game like Ogre Battle where you get really weird stuff you can fill out your army with like the various monsters, dragons, golems etc or does it skew more to mostly just people with a variety of weapons and magic.

They've teased animal people in the promo material and the opening of the game (including Hot Owl) but I'm not sure if there are any in the demo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

mycot posted:

They've teased animal people in the promo material and the opening of the game (including Hot Owl) but I'm not sure if there are any in the demo.

I didn't get to do literally everything in the demo, but the closest I got was griffon riders. EDIT: And one "angel" (just a winged person with a sword, no holy magic or anything) that was only a temporary ally for one stage but I know is a playable unit type in the full game.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Concurred posted:

I can't believe we're getting an Ogre Battle game in 2024. That's insane. That's crazy.

I was 14 when OB64 came out. I played Knights of Lodis, but that was a Tactics game

my friend have you played Symphony of War already because you really should if you havent