Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is it just me or is it kinda hosed up to vote for a DEAD MAN for worst match of the year?

Like drat, dude, Roman/Jey happened, MJF/Cole happened and if you're one of the boobs who think that match was good, MJF/Jay White happened. There was probably some lovely David Finlay or Tyrus or Nia Jax match, was the Mountain Dew Melee really that bad that we gotta sprinkle salt on a dead man's grave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Tyrus/EC3 should've won handily.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it always goes to the most memorable and/or high profile lovely match

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It usually helps if enough people even saw the match to vote for it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I feel a lot of the people vote on pure vibes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Is it just me or is it kinda hosed up to vote for a DEAD MAN for worst match of the year?

Like drat, dude, Roman/Jey happened, MJF/Cole happened and if you're one of the boobs who think that match was good, MJF/Jay White happened. There was probably some lovely David Finlay or Tyrus or Nia Jax match, was the Mountain Dew Melee really that bad that we gotta sprinkle salt on a dead man's grave?

I think it would be more hosed up to dishonor his memory by voting for something else because he died. "Oh actually you don't deserve this award, you died."

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Why WWE won promotion of the year over AEW I would think

quote:

Upcoming advances are 2/24 Collision in Springfield, MO, is at 2,006. 2/28 Dynamite/Collision in Huntsville, AL, is at 2,295. 3/6 Dynamite in Duluth, GA, is at 2,283. 3/7 Collision in Duluth, GA is at 1,700. 3/13 Dynamite in Boston with the Mercedes Mone debut is at 6,205. Wembley Stadium is at 39,190 [

quote:

Some upcoming advances: 2/26 Raw in San Jose is just about sold out at 11,356. 3/1 Smackdown in Glendale, AZ, is basically sold out at 11,405. 3/2 house show in Palm Desert, CA, is at 3,821. 3/3 house show in Bakersfield, CA, is at 3,513. 3/4 Raw in San Antonio is at 9,900. 3/8 Smackdown in Dallas is at 10,485 so probably will end up sold out. 3/9 house show in Alexandria, LA, is at 1,776. 3/10 house show in Lafayette, LA, is at 3,490. 3/11 Raw in Houston is at 9,794. WrestleMania night one is at 56,591 and night two is at 57,906. The get-in price is $232 for day one and $258 for day two

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stall_19 posted:

Why WWE won promotion of the year over AEW I would think

People really shouldn't use 2024 numbers for 2023 awards, the Observer voters are disgusting.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I mean if the award is just about money and not subjective then what's the point of voting? Seems like you can just Google that one up real quick.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

People really shouldn't use 2024 numbers for 2023 awards, the Observer voters are disgusting.

I don't mean just those numbers but the trend as a whole. The attendance gap has been there for awhile.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stall_19 posted:

I don't mean just those numbers but the trend as a whole. The attendance gap has been there for awhile.

You shouldn't mean those numbers at all, those numbers are this year.

The only way to judge best promotion is by tickets sold so post the highest number of tickets AEW sold for an event in 2023 vs the highest number WWE sold for an event and we will know which promotion was best.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

If it's the worst match you saw then it's the worst match you saw :shrug:

I mean only sicko go out of there way to actively find the absolute dog dirt match, like a Tyrus match. Bray did it on the Royal Rumble! For perspective, 5 worst matches on Cagematch, 2 NWA, 1 XPW, 1 AAA & 1 WWE, the 4 worst have a combined 122 votes, Bray LA has 528.

Hell, worst match I saw doesn't have any Cagematch votes

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Yeah, the voters are voting for the match they saw. Nobody watched Tyrus.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I didin’t think the MTN DEW match was even that bad. LA Knight didn’t lose anything in losing the match and it was fun and stupid.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ospreay as Japan MVP when he spent most of the year elsewhere and did not pop numbers for the domestic shows is :nallears: and observer should stop pretending anyone voting in these has any kind of perspective on anything happening outside the US

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

You shouldn't mean those numbers at all, those numbers are this year.

The only way to judge best promotion is by tickets sold so post the highest number of tickets AEW sold for an event in 2023 vs the highest number WWE sold for an event and we will know which promotion was best.

I can't believe how robbed wwe has been over the past 20 years. Someone should look into these awards.

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
I still have no idea what Cody did in 2023 besides get his rear end beat for five straight months

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1761047203940913453?t=D3P2wWDbtLUJrEBnBPbtTA&s=19

Lmao

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol these brackets are a joke

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just beating a dead horse here I know, but seriously:

Observer: Which promotion had the best wrestler and the best match of the year?
Observer voters: New Japan.
Observer: And which promotion had the best on interviews, the best weekly tv show, the best tag team, the most improved wrestler, the most charismatic wrestler, the best technical wrestler, the best brawler, the best non-wrestler, the best announcer, the best major wrestling show, and the best wrestler gimmick?
Observer voters: AEW
Observer: Okay, and who had the worst announcer, the worst major show, the most disgusting promotional tactic, and the worst match of the year?
Observer voters: WWE.
Observer: Okay so considering all of that, what was the best promotion of the year and who was the best booker and the best promoter.
Observer voters: WWE, Triple H and Nick Khan.

:psyduck:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

That just a testament to how bad the MJF/Cole stuff was and how into the Bloodline stuff people were. It really altered the perception of both promotions. Also the was the CM Punk saga so I get it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Just beating a dead horse here I know, but seriously:

Observer: Which promotion had the best wrestler and the best match of the year?
Observer voters: New Japan.
Observer: And which promotion had the best on interviews, the best weekly tv show, the best tag team, the most improved wrestler, the most charismatic wrestler, the best technical wrestler, the best brawler, the best non-wrestler, the best announcer, the best major wrestling show, and the best wrestler gimmick?
Observer voters: AEW
Observer: Okay, and who had the worst announcer, the worst major show, the most disgusting promotional tactic, and the worst match of the year?
Observer voters: WWE.
Observer: Okay so considering all of that, what was the best promotion of the year and who was the best booker and the best promoter.
Observer voters: WWE, Triple H and Nick Khan.

:psyduck:

You actually just made a very decisive argument for Nick Khan to win promoter of the year that despite all the things you listed, WWE is the only one of the companies listed to be trending up throughout 2023.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

That just a testament to how bad the MJF/Cole stuff was and how into the Bloodline stuff people were. It really altered the perception of both promotions. Also the was the CM Punk saga so I get it.

Oh absolutely

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Sanada's reign (and Sanada vs. EVIL in particular, I imagine) and the MJF Devil poo poo were so bad (and so recent, taking place at the end of the year), they totally killed Gedo and Khan's cases. :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rare Magic card l00k posted:

You actually just made a very decisive argument for Nick Khan to win promoter of the year that despite all the things you listed, WWE is the only one of the companies listed to be trending up throughout 2023.

Then shouldn't Vince McMahon have won all those years that ever increasing escalating rights fees were being paid for the utter slop they were dishing out as a content mill to channels desperate to fill hours in their schedule?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE's improvements are really just Malibu Stacy getting a new hat but New Japan and AEW having some rough patches helped maybe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also everybody agrees the new hat is ugly and smells bad, then pays $50 for it and votes The Malibu Stacey Company's CEO as the best hatmaker in the world.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

J-Ru don't hurt yourself over this. For some reason people have convinced themselves the bloodline storyline is the best thing ever and for better or worse it's increased WWE'S business despite putting on some of the most boring shows of all time. If you continue to rack your brain over this it will only lead to ruin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

Sanada's reign (and Sanada vs. EVIL in particular, I imagine) and the MJF Devil poo poo were so bad (and so recent, taking place at the end of the year), they totally killed Gedo and Khan's cases. :lol:

Eh, as someone who actually watches NJPW, SANADA's reign was underwhelming rather than bad. Kind of like SANADA himself. The title win & the defences against Hiromu & Tsuji were all real good matches, & then the back half of the year was standard NJPW back half of the year & we got one title match & it was a loving disaster. 1 title match in New Japan between June 4th & January 3rd sucks. But it's not unusual, 2022 Jay White had 1 defence in Japan. 2021 Shingo managed more in that period because he's Shingo but also because New Japan couldn't really run outside of Japan. 2019 Okada had 1 Japanese defence between Dominion & WK, 2018 Kenny had 2, Okada's 2016-2018 epic run had your standard Dominion-KOPW-WK run in both '16 & '17.

I'd say the laziness of a lot of New Japan booking, the failure to actually use Okada to put over any of the young guys & instead just having him waste his last year with the NEVER 6 man belts, having fun but forgettable matches, far bigger black marks against Gedo's booking than SANADA on top. Which wasn't great but was fine in ring except when EVIL was involved.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DLC Inc posted:

Rhea winning women's wrestler mvp might be the most egregious poo poo, how many matches did she even have last year? might as well just rename it the Gooner Award

She's the biggest women's star since Becky Lynch and while we are old fucks it's worth noting she is a crossover superstar with Zoomers, the actual superstar not WWE version. Will she ever be better in ring than Giulia or Athena never but the whole MVP part is a lot more variable than just the most talented workrate.

Personally I'm more annoyed Adan Page v Swerve didn't win feud of the year because this is a blood feud with legs that can last decades.

Also gently caress the 137 votes for Kevin Kelly as best announcer.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

yea ok posted:

(WRESTLER OF THE YEAR)
4. Roman Reigns (106) 904
5. Bryan Danielson (49) 590

These are some dumb assed voters

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just be glad Roman didn't win the loving thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Roman should’ve won non-wrestler of the year. :colbert:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Jerusalem posted:

Then shouldn't Vince McMahon have won all those years that ever increasing escalating rights fees were being paid for the utter slop they were dishing out as a content mill to channels desperate to fill hours in their schedule?

At least when Vince was running things fans had enough dignity to stop buying tickets for the weekly shows, seeing every raw and smackdown selling out with 12k+ people packing in to watch this garbage blows my mind, even before considering the decades long sex trafficking operation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

But its cinema now