Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

(OP is a work in progress and so is this main post :smug:)

Many MANY thanks to fellow good Heran Bago for their expertise in Puyo-Puyo, detailed in the 2nd post. :toot:

Greetings, fans of falling block puzzles of all shapes, sizes, and sounds! If you like games where stuff falls from the top of the screen and needs to be arranged strategically, you're in the right place.

While I'm not aware of any specific name for these types of games ("puzzle" isn't really specific enough anymore), there are essentially 3 major types:

Tetris - guide falling blocks and place them in a way to create a line, which then disappears, lowering the pile of previously-placed blocks. Do I really need to explain this to you? Tetris is the subject of the actual OP, as it's the most well-known.

Puyo-Puyo - detailed in the 2nd post, blocks or blobs still fall, but now, if you've got a certain amount of the same colour adjacent to each other, they connect and disappear, which also drops any unconnected pieces that were above now below. I said that weird, I don't know how to say it normally.

All the rest - detailed in the 3rd post. This list includes, but is not limited to games like Dr Mario, Columns, Magical Drop, Panel de Pon, Lumines, Meteos, and a bunch of other ones I can't think of right now. The post will be added to as time goes on.

Let's get started!

TETRIS

You know it, you probably love it, or at least like it on and off. It's classic, it's addictive, and studies are starting to show thay it can help you mentally. Yes, really!

Did you know that Tetris is a combination of the words 'Tetra' and 'Tennis'? Yes, according to Tetris inventor Alexey Pajitnov, 'Tetra' is Russian for "four", which is the number of blocks that comprise every Tetris piece, also known as 'Tetrominos', and clearing 4 lines at once is known as 'getting a Tetris'. He combined Tetra with Tennis because the man likes tennis.

Wanna know more about it? Norm Caruso, known as the Gaming Historian, has a hell of a documentary about it on Youtube. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQtxKmgJC8

Over the years, through various releases, there have been many additions to the Tetris formula, most of which have had a positive and long-term benefit to the rules of the game overall. Here are a few changes (just what I call them, not their official names):

Next piece preview: I think the only version that doesn't have a preview of the next piece might be Pajitnov's original.

Immediate drop: pressing one button which immediately slams the piece in play straight down from wherever it is in the playing area.

Multiple piece preview: same as Next Piece Preview but it's usually showing the next 4-5 pieces on their way.

Hold piece: pressing a dedicated button (usually a shoulder button) allows you to take the current piece in play and bring it to a holding area. You're then given the next piece in line to place. If you already have a piece 'on hold' and decide to hold another piece, you'll then swap out the piece in play with the piece being held. Usually you can do this once per piece in play to avoid cheesing the absolute hell out of the feature. Save those L pieces!

Shifting after placement: this is a bit tricky to get used to at first. Originally, the very moment a piece landed, it was immovable. Eventually, more leeway was given to the player, allowing them a small timeframe to continue to rotate the piece in play, before officially placing it down. Depending on the game, you may also be able to slide it around, terrain-allowing, of course.

Holograph preview: this is a feature where you get a preview of where the piece will land if you either rushed it down, or did an immediate drop. Way more helpful than you think. Way more.

Here are some notable releases of what is likely the world's most famous video game this side of Pong:

Tetris (original) - developed in 1985 in the Soviet Union on university computers by Mr Pajitnov himself. Later, he actually got the rights to sell and distribute the game (tough sell originally, as it's somewhat difficult to have any sort of capitalist approach in a communist country). He and Henk Rogers now own and operate The Tetris Company which is hopefully making bank for both of them, they seem like good guys.

Tetris (DOS) - made by Spectrum Holobyte, this was the first commercially-released port of the game. Ooh, it added colour! I think this is the version that Peter is playing in Office Space.

Tetris (NES) - licensed by ELORG, the rights for the ability to port versions of Tetris, this one included, are a kind of insane story, as detailed by Norm in the video above. Seriously, it's a great watch.

Tetris (Gameboy) - this was the main, original reason to own a Gameboy. C'mon now. Until Pokemon came out, this was THE Gameboy game.

Tetris (NES, but Tengen/Atari this time) - this version was pulled from shelves, but lived on in unlicensed compilation carts. Other than the look and some of the music, I think it's better than the official NES version, due to the inclusion of a 2-player mode. Also, as you play, the game displays stats on how many of which pieces you've used so far. I love that kind of thing. It got pulled from shelves, along with other Tengen carts, because Atari was being a poo poo and did a bunch of shady unlicensed game publishing on the NES. They lost in court against Nintendo.

Tetris 2 (NES/SNES) - ok, I might be the only person who actually, legitimately enjoys this game, even the NES version, though I truly do not understand that colour palette. Why, Nintendo? Fuckin' why?! Anyway, it's not as good as the original, but an attempt was made. :shrug:

V-Tetris (Virtualboy) - aaaahahahahaha, I'm kidding. I mean, it existed, but it's not notable.

Tetris Attack (SNES/Super Famicom) - wait, this doesn't have anything to do with Tetris.... Isn't this panel de pon? This should be in the 3rd post. Frig off, Tetris Attack.

Tetris: The Grand Master - (Arcade with ports later on) - I'd probably enjoy this if I was Neo. It's way too fast, but for Tetris masters, it's doable? I guess?

Tempura Wizard posted:

Wonderful opening posts for a wonderful thread about wonderful games.

Worth mentioning that TGM and TGM2+(TAP) are available on Switch / PS4 as part of the Arcade Archives series.

Tetris99 (Switch) - included with the basic tier of Nintendo Switch Online, this is Tetris Battle Royale. You and 98 other players all play Tetris, and with every line clear (maybe every clear of two lines or greater), you send 'garbage lines' to another player (or players) that you're currently targeting, thus trying to ruin their game. Watch out, of course, as other players are likely going to be sending garbage back to you. Insanely addictive. Also they have a classic GB Tetris theme, mimicking the look and sounds of the Gameboy version.

TetrisDS (the DS, :cmon:) - this one is a gem. It's got regular Tetris, and then a ton of 8-bit NES themed modes, including a Metroid one where you're trying to catch blocks as the screen scrolls up through a Metroid-styled vertical area. Seriously, this game was drat good, needs a port. This Tetris release was my favourite until....

Tetris Effect Connected (multiple current gen platforms) - this is a masterpiece. Developed by the same guy who made Rez, Tetris Effect Connected (originally just titled Tetris Effect, until a substantial multiplayer mode was added for free, years after release) mixes Tetris with engaging music and dream-like visuals. This is a very pleasant synesthesia experience. The block movement sounds are in sync with the heavily-remixed music playing in the background, the visuals are absolutely beautiful, there's a worldwide leaderboard, local and cross-platform multiplayer, and something like 7 different 'effect' modes. Use the 'zone' function to temporarily stop time, letting you place your pieces at your own pace. Every line you make is dragged down to the bottom of the screen and are counted altogether once the zone mode ends, thus allowing you to get more than 4 lines cleared at once. There's something called an "Ultimatris", which is when you are able to clear 20 lines in one zone timeframe. It's insane. Get this game if you like Tetris at all. It's even VR compatible, which I believe would cause me to completely lose my mind if I ever tried it.

Tempura Wizard posted:

https://youtu.be/8Oa-QtOFoHk?si=T6qgHiESpzKL1Ab8 Classic 1989 theme, available during the Weekend Ritual once 100% is achieved, or permanently by reaching XP level 50.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Puyo Puyo

What is Puyo Puyo?

Puyo Puyo is a puzzle game series that spun off of a now-antiquated RPG series, Madou Monogatari. In MM we see protagonist Arle Nadja go from toddler to teenager. Along the way she learns elemental magic, makes friends, defeats Satan, defeats God, gains possible immortality, all the usual RPG stuff. Eventually she learns a spell that makes four color-matched slime enemies, or Puyo, disappear and give free mana. Then it turns out anyone can do it and it works competitively, which becomes both a popular sport and the de facto way to power magician’s duels. 

Each game has a plot, and most are light-hearted with low stakes. 

How to Play Puyo Puyo

In Puyo Puyo, you arrange falling blobs onto a board. If you connect four or more of the same color they disappear. If that causes another group of Puyo to do the same, you just created a chain. Your CPU or player opponent is playing the same game, and chains will send annoying garbage or nuisance Puyo onto the other player’s board. The first one to place a piece at the top loses. Most games in the series introduce a new mechanic, some of which stick around. 

There has been an explosion in English game translations in recent years. I will note each fan translation, which can be found here if they're done by Precise Museum and either here or on romhacking.net if they're from another group.

There’s no one way to build a chain. It seems difficult at first but it gets easy pretty quickly imo.
Most games have a solo endless mode to practice in without any pressure. Give it a try! When you’re ready to take on Easy Mode, here are some basic chain building techniques:

Stairs

Start by learning stairs. The board starts with a flat floor so it's easy to slap stairs together and set them off quickly. You generally build the chain first and the trigger last. Trigger here is reds on the right. 

If you get really good at belting out one layer of stairs you can make it through enough of the story modes in most of these games. 
If you're good or lucky, your stairs have a flat-ish ceiling. This makes it possible to snake it around on a second layer of stairs going the other direction. This is easy to gently caress up though. Stairs are also prone to getting your entire plan ruined by garbage puyo in just the wrong spot. 

GTR

Named after some Japanese player. Learn this shape, really just of the yellows and reds. Practice it a little. The blues in this example could be any color other than red, and the only one that's actually important is the bottom one holding up the red. 
The yellows are the trigger. On top of the yellows build anything else, say a column or row of three purple, with one yellow on top of that. 
The benefits of this setup are not immediately apparent. You can build whatever you want to the right like stairs or just a whole bunch of groups of three. You're starting with the trigger in place first and then building the chain after it. Or you can build a trigger to your trigger. One stray garbage puyo is less likely to throw a wrench in your plans. In the example with three purples stacked on top of the yellow you're much safer from garbage than other setups. 
GTR is deceptively easy to set up and execute. Something about the RNG makes it almost always possible to set up quickly. There are other ways to stack puyo, but these reasons make it usually the optimal play. 

onto the games…

Puyo Puyo
MSX2, Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Arcade, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Mega Drive, Super Famicom, Master System, Game Gear, PC Engine CD, N-Gage, and more
The game that started it all. Satan is up to his old poo poo and Arle sets out to beat him and anyone in her way.  Maybe you clear the board for a bonus? This one is pretty bare bones. If you really want to play this one’s ruleset you might want to go for one of the next two on this list.
There is a leaked canceled arcade localization, and fan translations of the MSX and NES versions by BiFi and Aeon Genesis respectively. 

Doctor Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
Genesis
It’s Puyo Puyo 1 and it’s Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog themed. This one has been ported to many different systems and shows up as a boss in Sonic Mania.

Kirby’s Avalanche
SNES
It’s Puyo Puyo 1 and Kirby talks. He’s a huge dickhead to everyone. When I was an idiot child I did a Let’s Play of this on these very forums. I’m not linking it because it’s cringe and most images are covered by a big Photobucket watermark. 

Nazo Puyo
Game Gear, Super Famicom
This is a spinoff series of the Puyo Puyo spinoff series. It’s about curry.
Instead of a competitive battler, you are presented with a preset board and pieces with specific win conditions. Kind of like chess puzzles.
The SNES one has an English Translation by Momochi.

Puyo Puyo Tsu (2)
Arcade, Super Famicom, Saturn, PSX, PS2, Mega Drive, Game Gear, Game Boy, Windows, Macintosh, PC Engine, Neo-Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan, and more
The new mechanic is “offsetting”. When garbage puyo are about to fall on you, if you pop anything it subtracts that from what’s about to fall on you and delays the fall for a turn. This allows players to turn the tables in a way that wasn’t possible before. As the match drags on, your actions also become more valuable.
There is a nearly complete translation of the SNES version by J2e Translations.

Puyo Puyo Sun (“san” or 3)
Arcade, Saturn, PSX, N64, GBC, PC
This game is about climate change. Satan finds out about body tanning from a magazine and makes the sun bigger. 
The new mechanic is Sun Puyo. When you offset, you get a Sun Puyo that is kind of like a garbage Puyo, only when you get rid of it your opponent gets even more garbage. This mechanic is annoying imo.
There are fan translations for the PC and N64 versions by Puyo Nexus and and Zoinkity respectively.

Puyo Puyo~n (“yon” or 4)
Dreamcast, PSX, N64, GBC
Arle goes to the carnival and has to find her lost Carbuncle. Other characters join the party. 
The new mechanic is character skills that can be activated in battle. 
Precise Museum has translated the Dreamcast version. If you’re not up to play it, you can just watch all the story mode cutscenes here.

Puyo Puyo Da!
Dreamcast
This is a rhythm game spinoff with remixes of Puyo Puyo music. The fish finally gets to dance.

Puyo Puyo Gaiden: Puyo War
Gameboy
The Puyo drive mechs in this Advance Wars -style game. This is an indirect sequel to a game not on this list, Arle no Bouken: Mahou no Jewel, which is itself a pokemon clone. Only on this list so you know there’s a game where Puyo drive mechs. 

Puyo Puyo Box
Playstation
This is the last Puyo game from Compile. It contains a new Quest mode and remakes of the first two games.
The new mechanic is allowing the player to equip gear like armor. These are more sidegrades than upgrades. The multiplayer allows players to choose and mix modes from the first four games and there is also a new Treasure Mode, which is seen again in 15th anniversary as Excavation Mode. 
Precise Museum plans on translating it.

Minna de Puyo Puyo / Puyo Pop
Gameboy Advance
The original developer Compile has imploded and Sega picked up the pieces. This is the last game to only have characters from the Madou Monogatari era. It’s the first entry to be developed by Sonic Team and also the first to be officially released as Puyo Pop in English on a system that normal people have. 
The new mechanic is collecting items and delivering them to characters.

Puyo Puyo Fever
So many. Arcade, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, 360, GBA, DS, PSP, PS2, PC, Mac, Xbox, Mac OS, and more. The wiki says  Palm OS, Pocket PC, and Sony Walkman !!??
This game takes place in a new world with new characters. The new protagonist is Amitie, an aspiring sorceress. Arle and Carbuncle are teleported in but don’t play a big role.
The new mechanic is Fever mode, which is a radical departure from previous games. Every time you offset Puyo your Fever gauge builds. When it fills, you get put onto a timer where you are set up with huge chains to detonate. This isn’t an instant victory though, as your opponent can offset and build their own fever in response. Another addition is that puyo may drop in groups of 3 or a big puyo made of 4, instead of the usual 2.
Sega pushed this game hard and localized it everywhere as Puyo Pop Fever. It looks like it didn’t pay off as they wouldn’t localize another game until Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Puyo Puyo Fever Chu (2)
DS, PSP, PS2
This game has 9 story courses, three for each protagonist: Amitie, Raffina, and Sig. Actual stakes and new fan favorite characters. Arle is once again kind of there.
The new mechanic is consumable items which can be used before a match to change things. Pink Chu Puyo also appear but these are just an aesthetic change to garbage puyo.
There is a fan translation of the PS2 version by Puyo Nexus on romhacking.net. It’s also Precise Museum’s next project.

Haro’s Puyo Puyo
Gameboy Advance
If you like Mobile Suit Gundam (1979), maybe you’ll like the chibi sprites of the characters. 

Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary
DS, PSP, PS2, Wii
This game has the most story courses so far. Like a fighting game, you choose a character to play as who gets their own self-contained story track and ending. Many characters from both worlds are present. Few characters can travel freely between worlds, and others just get teleported between worlds via intense Puyo battles.
Each round can use a different style of Puyo Puyo from a previous game. There are a couple new ones too like huge puyo and underwater puyo. Up to 8 players can battle on some versions. 
Puyo Nexus has translated the DS version.

Puyo Puyo 7
DS, Wii, PSP
This game takes place in a new world which is more similar to our own. The new protagonist is Ringo, a greengrocer’s daughter. Characters from all three worlds appear, and a new antagonist is introduced who can freely travel between them. 
Fever is expanded into Transformation, which is like Fever but different. 
The Wii version has a translation by Saetta06 & Nenilein, and is recommended over Puyo Nexus’ translation of the DS version. 

Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary
DS, Wii, PSP, 3DS
It's 15th anniversary again. Characters from all three worlds meet up and battle.
Many classic game modes make a return and there are some new ones, like wind or unclearable block puyo.
Precise Museum translated the DS version. The 3DS and PSP versions are in progress as of writing.

Puyo Puyo Tetris
3DS, Wii U, PSVita, PS3, PS4, Xbone, Switch, PC
A strange force is merging the Tetris and Puyo worlds. Tee, captain of the spaceship Tetris, meets Ringo and they try to fix things.
This game has Tetris and Puyo Puyo, balanced against each other. You might play VS Tetris, normal Puyo Puyo, endless Fever, or even asymmetric battles with both. 
This game actually got localized.

Puyo Puyo Chronicle
3DS
After many years Arle picks up the mantles of legendary hero and protagonist. Characters from all three worlds are pulled into that of secondary protagonist Ally, who quickly becomes everyone's fan girl. 
Chronicle is an RPG with items and character skills, but the fights are all Puyo. Enemies do HP damage in addition to dropping small amounts of garbage, which changes up the player’s approach. The game has a chibi art style.
Precise Museum has a great translation and HD texture pack.

Puyo Puyo!! Quest
iOS, Android
Look how they massacred my boy. :(
This game takes place in a new world or two. The new protagonist is Atari, a fresh college graduate who joins the Spacetime Detective Agency. As the story progresses she goes to a new world where new characters reside and many old characters are stranded. Then it goes on to old familiar worlds. There are a lot of characters, old and new. In 2021, the game relaunched with a “Super” update that added a story mode.
The gameplay itself is only superficially like the previous games. It’s really a character gacha game in the vein of Puzzle and Dragons. You build a team of character jpegs with various abilities, erase some stuff from the board, and based on your chain the jpegs attack. There are buttons for the game to play itself for you and to fast forward. The game is still going strong with new content and collaborations, most recently some Cardcaptor Sakura event. I guess it’s cool to see all the new art for characters but I’m really turned off by the gacha.
The game’s story mode has been translated here.

Puyo Puyo eSports
PS4, Switch, Xbone, PC, Arcade
Because of the Tetris license it was impossible to have Puyo tournaments, so Sega dropped this. There is no story component to this game or new mechanics. This game has stable online play with ranked matchmaking. Unless you get lag. YMMV. While this makes it a great way to play online against friends or randoms, cheating is rampant. Sega seems unable or unwilling to fix it. 
This game is localized as Puyo Puyo Champions.

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
Xbone, Xbox Series, Switch, PC
A strange person is merging the Tetris and Puyo worlds and forcing people to battle. Tee reunites with Ringo and the series’ large cast to fix things. 
This is the current state-of-the-art Puyo game. Good thing it’s localized. Probably how you want to play the game online with friends. It’s a lot like the last Puyo Puyo Tetris game. 

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 23, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OTHER FALLING BLOCK PUZZLE GAMES (this list will be added to and grow as time goes on. If you have any suggestions for titles, do a post about it itt, and I'll add it in)
-------

vogonity posted:

Some old favorites...

Dr. Mario

NES - 1990 (US)

SNES - 1994 (US)

Yoshi's Cookie

NES - 1993 (US)

SNES - 1993 (US)

Wario's Woods
NES - 1994 (US)

SNES - 1994 (US)

Tricky Towers

Rappaport posted:

My favourite (I have an ungodly amount of hours on Steam with this game, don't ask :eng99:) is Tricky Towers, a tetris-like mostly multiplayer game. The game features the familiar tetrominos, but the game also has a sort of a physics engine with gravity. And you get spells! Spells that make your blocks stick together, that turn your block into an immovable stone block, spells that mess with your enemies in multiplayer :getin: In addition to the more or less usual "race tetris" game modes, there are also "puzzle" games, where the idea is to balance as many blocks as you can on the playing field.

A puzzle game in progress. The little fellas on clouds are player avatars who cast the spells

The game is pretty old now, but the multiplayer servers tend to have some folks online when I sometimes get the itch to try still. The MP mode also features no way for players to communicate, so there's no torrent of slurs coming your way if you smoke someone at physics-tetris.

The game also has single-player modes that can be quite challenging; I like the multi-player more myself, but solo tetrisers can also get some fun out of this.

beer gas canister posted:

Mr. Driller deserves a spot in this discussion. Drill thru blocks, blocks fall down, try not to die!

The most recent entry is a port of the Gamecube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF3Vg3pOMUg

Isomermaid posted:

There's an interesting Puyo variant in MAME called Pnickies. Similar coloured blobs next to each other will merge into one big blob but the mechanism for clearing them is unusual. There's also star blocks in the colours of the blobs - one star block gets merged into a growing blob makes the whole blob patterned with stars. The second star blob that gets merged in clears the blob. This lets you control big clear bonuses at the cost of a bit of risk as your playfield fills up. I think it's a unique mechanic, never seen it anywhere else.

Edit: It's also available on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1842970/Capcom_Arcade_2nd_Stadium_Pnickies/

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pnickies was actually developed for Capcom by Compile, the original Puyo Puyo creators, and it was apparently released unfinished, hence why it's so obscure.

Capcom expanded on the basic idea with Super Puzzle Fighter, and there are a few other games in that same vein - Sega's Baku Baku Animal is one, and a game called Pochi & Nyaa that was made by some ex-Compile people. There's also an indie game called Raining Blobs that rips it off pretty hard:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/414370/Raining_Blobs/

People might be interested in checking out the crowdfunding campaign for Petal Crash 2, a sequel to a really strong arcade-style indie puzzle game from a few years ago: https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/friend-fairy/petal-crash-2

The original is 50% off right now, and you can play the online versus component for free:

https://galaxytrail.itch.io/petal-crash

https://galaxytrail.itch.io/petal-crash-online

A brand-new game, Magical Drop 6, came out last year - there's nothing super novel about it and it expects you to jump through a million hoops in order to unlock even basic stuff like characters, but it's not terrible. https://store.steampowered.com/app/2176320/Magical_Drop_VI/ (also on Switch)

Magical Drop 3 is extremely playable online and quite active (with a very skilled playerbase) on the Fightcade emulator. Certain players have been pushing the competitive scene pretty hard in recent years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hP9rMVv9yg

Puyo 2/Tsu is the game that set the mechanical foundation for all the later games, and the version people play competitively, so if you just wanna play the game and don't care about story or lore or tons of single-player content, any version of that game is fine.

If you do want some character stuff and want to experience the classic '90s aesthetic from before Sega took over, I'd recommend one of the fan-translated versions of Sun (and I'd also recommend turning off the sun mechanic, which basically turns it back into Tsu).

Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary has a zillion games modes that are mostly very gimmicky, but content's content. The DS version's fan-translated.

Puyo Puyo Chronicle for 3DS has all the modes of 20th plus an RPG-style mode called Skill Battle, and the single-player mode is set up like an RPG with an overworld and quests and so on, rather than static portrait cutscenes - whether you'll actually enjoy the RPG format is one thing, but they at least tried. This is also the only game to use 3D character models rather than sprites/portraits. This one's also fan-translated.

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is the most active modern game, but the online playerbase is skewed heavily towards Switch, and also Japanese timezones, with the added issue of most players maining Tetris, which can be annoying to fight if you stick with Puyo. The conceit of mixing the two games is fun, and there's a reasonable amount of single-player content, including a fully-dubbed story mode. Sonic's in it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 28, 2024

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Worth mentioning that TGM and TGM2+(TAP) are available on Switch / PS4 as part of the Arcade Archives series.

Edit: The carnival of death is starting soon. Join us :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tempura Wizard posted:

Added!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thank you Rupert for the opportunity to effort post about Puyo. It's a weird series and longtime favorite.

I'm currently playing Puyo Chronicle on the Steam Deck and it's ok. A bit different take on the formula. I don't have a strong opinion on it yet though, it's just ok.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My favourite (I have an ungodly amount of hours on Steam with this game, don't ask :eng99:) is Tricky Towers, a tetris-like mostly multiplayer game. The game features the familiar tetrominos, but the game also has a sort of a physics engine with gravity. And you get spells! Spells that make your blocks stick together, that turn your block into an immovable stone block, spells that mess with your enemies in multiplayer :getin: In addition to the more or less usual "race tetris" game modes, there are also "puzzle" games, where the idea is to balance as many blocks as you can on the playing field.

A puzzle game in progress. The little fellas on clouds are player avatars who cast the spells

The game is pretty old now, but the multiplayer servers tend to have some folks online when I sometimes get the itch to try still. The MP mode also features no way for players to communicate, so there's no torrent of slurs coming your way if you smoke someone at physics-tetris.

The game also has single-player modes that can be quite challenging; I like the multi-player more myself, but solo tetrisers can also get some fun out of this.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I still have my copy of Magical Drop 3 in a box somewhere. I played so much of that poo poo as a kid. Great game, shame the Steam version was so bad. I had the dev for the Steam version on my friends list for a long time, but that game just never came together and they unfriended me and drifted away at some point. :(

...Wait, there's more Steam versions now?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Adding this to the ever-growing list of other falling block puzzle games, in the 3rd post. Thanks, I've never heard about this one!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Can confirm this one is a blast, especially with local multiplayer.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
(If you haven't played either game yet, I would not recommend watching/listening to the music beforehand)

Playing the first level of Tetris Effect in PSVR1 brought tears to my eyes. Such a phenomenal game, further enhanced by PSVR1+2 and the DualSense.
Unfortunately, I don't think any other song in the game compares to The Deep for me. Does anyone have other favorites I should go back to?

Lumines is another classic. If you enjoy Tetris and have never played Lumines, you owe it to yourself to play Lumines Remastered on Switch. The HD Rumble is a really nice addition.
I'm sure someone else has a better write-up about Lumines than I would, but I wanted to mention that I think it's what turned me onto the artist Mondo Grosso many years ago via the SHININ' track. His entire music catalog is excellent.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Lumines is incredible and has similar tricks to what's mentioned in Puyo above. There's a lot of "keep your screen clear constantly for the bonuses" mixed with "now string together a ton of blocks for big combos" to keep things really grooving

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Rappaport posted:

My favourite (I have an ungodly amount of hours on Steam with this game, don't ask :eng99:) is Tricky Towers

I remember enjoying this game a lot for local play with friends.
There's also a version of the game on iOS, but renamed to 99 Bricks Wizard Academy.

And speaking of local play, the coop Connected mode in Tetris Effect is really special. I can hand two other controllers to almost any friend or family member who comes over and they are hooked. Especially non-gamers! It's a great way to enjoy Tetris together without having to worry too much about failing or competition.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lumines is pretty sick. My parents and I started to compete for high scores on the PSP many years ago, but I eventually learned the rhythm well enough to do 3 hour runs. It was neat. I haven’t picked it up in recent years, in part because I don’t want to get too deep.

My relationship to Tetris is more or less that I had access to one of the thousands of clones and would play it while watching TV. Tetris 99 and Effect are my favorite picks now. I’ll never be great at it, but I like that I can get first place in 99! It’s a blast to see pros resolve hard levels.

What Puyo Puyo would folks recommend for people who haven’t played them before, assuming fan translations are accessible?

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
Some old favorites...

Dr. Mario

NES - 1990 (US)

SNES - 1994 (US)

Yoshi's Cookie

NES - 1993 (US)

SNES - 1993 (US)

Wario's Woods
NES - 1994 (US)

SNES - 1994 (US)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

broken pixel posted:

What Puyo Puyo would folks recommend for people who haven’t played them before, assuming fan translations are accessible?
Any version Puyo Puyo Tsu will treat you well. If you happen to have the Nintendo Switch online service there’s an untranslated version available in the SNES app.

The Sega AGES version is probably the definitive version of it, based on the arcade game.

Any of the GBA or DS versions that aren’t explicitly part of the Fever line will also work. (Although I love Fever very much, the ruleset is divisive)

Puyo Puyo Tetris is also a perfectly serviceable “official” entry point.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's not a *falling* block game, but I fell like Touhou Spell Bubble shares enough DNA with Puyo Puyo to belong in this thread

It's multiplayer Puzzle Bobble mixed with a rhythm game (covering a large variety of music genres).
Here's a video showing off a bunch of different songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqnzHZOOUQ&t=240s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

vogonity posted:

Some old favorites...

Dr. Mario

NES - 1990 (US)

SNES - 1994 (US)

Yoshi's Cookie

NES - 1993 (US)

SNES - 1993 (US)

Wario's Woods
NES - 1994 (US)

SNES - 1994 (US)

To the 3rd post for you! I was essentially going to post these there, too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for this!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Tempura Wizard posted:

Any version Puyo Puyo Tsu will treat you well. If you happen to have the Nintendo Switch online service there’s an untranslated version available in the SNES app.

The Sega AGES version is probably the definitive version of it, based on the arcade game.

Any of the GBA or DS versions that aren’t explicitly part of the Fever line will also work. (Although I love Fever very much, the ruleset is divisive)

Neat, thanks! I'll probably try all of those. I'll dip into Puyo Puyo Tsu first, since I have NSO and could stand to use more of its features.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Tetris: The Grand Master - (Arcade with ports later on) - I'd probably enjoy this if I was Neo. It's way too fast, but for Tetris masters, it's doable? I guess?

This has been my favourite to play since it was showcased at AGDQ 2015 (I think that was the first time). I grew to love it even more while living in Japan and playing it at real arcades.

Nowadays I do most of my grandmaster playing on the clone title "Shirominos."

Up to you if you wanna add it, or a section on clone titles in general but in case you do:

Shirominos is a clone of several Tetris the Grandmaster titles. When these games were difficult to access due to expensive arcade boards and setups or even due to emulator glitches, expert coders cloned the games for easier access on PCs. This version contains master mode games for TGMs 1-3, TGM2 Death mode, Big Master mode, and a version of a game called Pentominos that uses, as the name would imply, 5-segmented blocks rather than 4 in tetromino-based games. Another really valuable use of Tetris clones is the replay function which lets you save and rewatch past games.

The github link for this clone is here: https://github.com/shiromino/shiromino?tab=readme-ov-file
I like the replay for saving best times that I get off-stream, or for analyzing past games.

I'll be going for some Tetris Grandmasters right now actually in case anyone wants to watch. :getin:

https://twitch.tv/danzel_glovington

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

dr mario is my favorite fighting game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm adding this, from the Steam deck thread, to the Tetris section in the OP, fyi:

Tempura Wizard posted:

https://youtu.be/8Oa-QtOFoHk?si=T6qgHiESpzKL1Ab8 Classic 1989 theme, available during the Weekend Ritual once 100% is achieved, or permanently by reaching XP level 50.

:toot:

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Shiromino is really fun; my favorite mode to play on that is probably TGM2 death mode, where the pieces immediately fall to the bottom of the stack in one frame, and you have little time to place them. Been working to get a PB on that(current best is 404). Gotten close a few times, but the speed increases so much after 300, so it's tricky to place the pieces well, and the pressure of being on PB pace usually also causes me to misdrop. I also really like 20g mode on TGM1.

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 25, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tempura Wizard posted:

PPT's Puyo tutorial mode is a pile of poo poo and does practically nothing to explain the game. PPT was my first experience with PP and I hated it. About halfway through the computer will hit a difficulty asymptote and start bombing 6x combos on you which are frustrating to deal with. I ended up just holding the down button anytime I had a PP round to fail it as quickly as I could so I could get the three loss pity skip and move on with the game. The second post in this thread is a far better introduction to PP than that loving game ever will be.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I feel like I finally understand Puyo Puyo!

Tetris Effect Connected is so frickin beautiful. Want to get just a little high and play it with headphones on.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Getting good enough to SS Rank everything in Tetris Connect is one of my gaming white whales. I keep trying to learn 3 or 4-wide well theory and T-spins, but my NES Tetris fundamentals are too ingrained from playing as a kid. I try to keep the screen as clear as possible all the time. That's gotten me A and S Rank on a bunch of stuff, but without big combos those SS Ranks are totally out of reach.

I'm slowly getting better at Puyo Puyo games, but a huge factor for me is if they have color blind options. Puyo Puyo Champions on PS4 has good colorblind options so I've been sticking to that. Without them, I make too many mistakes. Same goes for Super Puzzle Fighter. Love the game, but always lose when things get cookin' because all the green, yellow, and orange gems look very similar to me. And god forbid a game uses blue and purple or green and brown at the same time. Oofa.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I absolutely love the 3-side approach, I find I almost always have a place to put stuff. It's more difficult with classic rules, because being able to swap out is super helpful.

For anyone wondering, this style of gameplay is where, either on the left or right, you keep a 3-block-wide tower, then a long empty column, and then the rest of your stuff. I can really explain why it works, but it somehow just does. :shrug:

Maybe it just naturally lends itself to a playing field that has, at any given time, an acceptable spot to put down any piece.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

tetris 99 is one of my all-time favourite games and i'm gonna be inconsolable when it inevitably goes offline

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

speaking of tetris, a lot of the really hardcore t-spin doers play on a client called tetr.io, which you reach by putting literally just the name into your web browser. it's really well made and insanely tweakable but you will get your dick flattened if you play any of the public rooms. seriously how are some of these fuckers so good at tetris????

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

broken pixel posted:

I had to think about this. Whatever you have on hand is good and NSO Puyo Tsu is fine.

For completely new players I might suggest Puyo Fever. It has a thorough tutorial tucked into the menus. Building up to Fever gives you more of a chance to succeed if your opponent does a better chain first. But it's also easy to use Fever as a crutch and playing around it is a bit of a different skill.

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
I may try to get my mother into playing some of these. She prefers puzzle, brain stimulation kind of games. If she knew how far Tetris et al have become, I think she'd try them!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ThatNateGuy posted:

I may try to get my mother into playing some of these. She prefers puzzle, brain stimulation kind of games. If she knew how far Tetris et al have become, I think she'd try them!

i'm pretty sure moms are just naturally good at tetris.

seriously, i think i have my mom to thank for my obsession with this game. some of my earliest memories of games are of her and I going up against each other in some computer version of tetris. was it the official DOS one? i don't remember. but i think she was happy that i was interested in playing something more brainy. and i've never stopped since!

love you, mom. i miss you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People might be interested in checking out the crowdfunding campaign for Petal Crash 2, a sequel to a really strong arcade-style indie puzzle game from a few years ago: https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/friend-fairy/petal-crash-2

The original is 50% off right now, and you can play the online versus component for free:

https://galaxytrail.itch.io/petal-crash

https://galaxytrail.itch.io/petal-crash-online

Nettle Soup posted:

I still have my copy of Magical Drop 3 in a box somewhere. I played so much of that poo poo as a kid. Great game, shame the Steam version was so bad. I had the dev for the Steam version on my friends list for a long time, but that game just never came together and they unfriended me and drifted away at some point. :(

...Wait, there's more Steam versions now?!

A brand-new game, Magical Drop 6, came out last year - there's nothing super novel about it and it expects you to jump through a million hoops in order to unlock even basic stuff like characters, but it's not terrible. https://store.steampowered.com/app/2176320/Magical_Drop_VI/ (also on Switch)

Magical Drop 3 is extremely playable online and quite active (with a very skilled playerbase) on the Fightcade emulator. Certain players have been pushing the competitive scene pretty hard in recent years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hP9rMVv9yg

broken pixel posted:

Puyo 2/Tsu is the game that set the mechanical foundation for all the later games, and the version people play competitively, so if you just wanna play the game and don't care about story or lore or tons of single-player content, any version of that game is fine.

If you do want some character stuff and want to experience the classic '90s aesthetic from before Sega took over, I'd recommend one of the fan-translated versions of Sun (and I'd also recommend turning off the sun mechanic, which basically turns it back into Tsu).

Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary has a zillion games modes that are mostly very gimmicky, but content's content. The DS version's fan-translated.

Puyo Puyo Chronicle for 3DS has all the modes of 20th plus an RPG-style mode called Skill Battle, and the single-player mode is set up like an RPG with an overworld and quests and so on, rather than static portrait cutscenes - whether you'll actually enjoy the RPG format is one thing, but they at least tried. This is also the only game to use 3D character models rather than sprites/portraits. This one's also fan-translated.

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is the most active modern game, but the online playerbase is skewed heavily towards Switch, and also Japanese timezones, with the added issue of most players maining Tetris, which can be annoying to fight if you stick with Puyo. The conceit of mixing the two games is fun, and there's a reasonable amount of single-player content, including a fully-dubbed story mode. Sonic's in it.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
There's an interesting Puyo variant in MAME called Pnickies. Similar coloured blobs next to each other will merge into one big blob but the mechanism for clearing them is unusual. There's also star blocks in the colours of the blobs - one star block gets merged into a growing blob makes the whole blob patterned with stars. The second star blob that gets merged in clears the blob. This lets you control big clear bonuses at the cost of a bit of risk as your playfield fills up. I think it's a unique mechanic, never seen it anywhere else.

Edit: It's also available on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1842970/Capcom_Arcade_2nd_Stadium_Pnickies/

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 28, 2024

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pnickies was actually developed for Capcom by Compile, the original Puyo Puyo creators, and it was apparently released unfinished, hence why it's so obscure.

Capcom expanded on the basic idea with Super Puzzle Fighter, and there are a few other games in that same vein - Sega's Baku Baku Animal is one, and a game called Pochi & Nyaa that was made by some ex-Compile people. There's also an indie game called Raining Blobs that rips it off pretty hard:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/414370/Raining_Blobs/

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Mr. Driller deserves a spot in this discussion. Drill thru blocks, blocks fall down, try not to die!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

I'll add it (and the last few games mentioned) to the 3rd post, thanks!

I played Mr Driller fairly recently, and I learned then that the XBLA title "Raskulls" is it but with a slightly different look.

I'm also adding Columns to the 3rd post. I don't care for it, but that doesn't mean I didn't play a stupid amount of it back in the day. Clotho is STILL one of the best motherfucking video game songs ever written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=admQ2Ideh0M

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 28, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

[...]

Magical Drop 3 is extremely playable online and quite active (with a very skilled playerbase) on the Fightcade emulator. Certain players have been pushing the competitive scene pretty hard in recent years: [...]

I'm so horrendously bad at it, but it's fun. More people should play it!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stayed up way too late last night. Why you ask? Well because we live in an age of VR Tetris, weed pens, and bluetooth headphones.

Positively jamming out in bed with Tetris Effect until the wee hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beastie posted:

Stayed up way too late last night. Why you ask? Well because we live in an age of VR Tetris, weed pens, and bluetooth headphones.

Positively jamming out in bed with Tetris Effect until the wee hours

That and No Man's Sky VR are like the two games that would just complete me.