Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol:

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1761139799040348335/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Cubs are doing am infomercial for a company called Sloan during the Cubs game. It's such a bizarre telecast.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If these are not Fanatics level quality, I'm buying that Cubs one. The Marlins one is incredibly cool too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I know I'm on Ohtani's side with all this poo poo. But I don't think it's that hard to believe a guy who spends 365 days a year with a person, likely handling every aspect of their life, could slice away six-figure chunks from a guy worth about a billion.

It's not easy to transfer that kind of money. Close friends or not, it would be really hard to transfer that money without anyone, including accountants and financial advisors noticing. Ippei would have to have had extroadinary access to Ohtani's financials.

Regardless, it's a criminal matter now and shouldn't be hard for the Feds to figure out who and how the money was transferred.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mdemone posted:

Dude is making obscene amounts of money. He's not checking his bank app every day.

This isn't a checking account where you Venmo over a few hundred dollars off your phone. You're talking $500k wire transfers to a sketchy business. You're signing some forms or doing this in person with a banker. It's not a simple process at sums that large.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

All of this has to take into account that the initial story Ohtani's team put out was that he knew about this and was helping a friend pay off debts. Ippei is likely a conman but Ohtani's side is the one that has lied already.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Ippei has also lied since he gave two, conflicting accounts to ESPN on consecutive days.

Ohtani's explanation is that the initial account was given to Ohtani's spokesperson by Ippei directly, without Ohtani's involvement. That's a major gently caress up by the PR person on Ohtani's behalf.

Or maybe they're lying and decided today was a good day to double down, after spending the past week consulting with very expensive attorneys and inviting an investigation from government authorities.

So Ippei had unfettered access to Ohtani's bank accounts, shielded transactions from accountants/advisors, and was the point man for his PR team AFTER finding out that $4.5 million had been stolen? Either Ohtani is the dumbest loving man alive who hired a slew of other incredibly dumb people, or Ippei is a mastermind who lost $4.5 million to an illegal bookmaker.

I'm still going with the story that Ohtani paid the debts and the story changed after they realized it could put him in legal jeopardy and a potential ban from the sport. Maybe he didn't know they were gambling debts, but I still find it incredibly hard to believe that Ippei did this without anyone knowing. From the wording of the press conference (specifically the word "knowingly"), I think the defense will end up being Ippei said he needed money for something and Ohtani paid it without looking into it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also pretty much any other player in the league would be on administrative leave right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

$4.5M was never stolen, as noted above in this thread ESPN found two $500k transactions.

The media started to ask questions of Ohtani's people because ESPN found a transfer from Ohtani's account to the bookie. So what did Ohtani's people do? They asked Ippei, the person closest to Ohtani, his most trusted advisor, and the go-between for Ohtani and his PR people. At the moment that the media first reached out to Ohtani's PR people about this, they did not know this involve Ippei. They still trust Ippei, and offer him to ESPN for the interview. Ippei starts lying to protect himself, and it is only after he's making public statements to the team in front of Ohtani that don't jive with reality that Ohtani realizes something's not right.

Ohtani's people didn't bother to ask him about it? A response about why your bank account was being used to pay off a bookie seems like something you'd want to check with the person about instead of just trusting the word of his translator buddy. His accountant or financial advisor never sent a message like "hey, what's this $500k for? We need to know for tax reasons". Maybe Ohtani is a naive, child-like figure who even his own PR team doesn't bother to run plans by. Just seems like a really far-fetched excuse.

I don't think Ohtani is a gambler or anything. But I do think he knew about the payments. Maybe he didn't know it was going to a bookie, but I just don't buy that this Ippei guy is such a mastermind that he could fool everyone for a year about this stuff.