Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
incredible deal, our good friend Cody returns and Tom isn't committing so much as to negatively impact Trump PAC donations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

feels good to be amongst a cool group of Merverted posters :cool: question - how many games do the Cubs win the WS in this year? I'm saying six, just to keep it a little interesting

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

joey votto posted an instagram update of him doing arts and crafts in what looked like a recreation center for children the other day, realistically that's going to keep him busy for a few months

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Popete posted:

If Votto doesn't get signed he should take over as the lone ESPN broadcaster for Sunday Night Baseball.

a season of Votto in NPB would be fun and wholesome imo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i used to be confused as heck by joc pederson then i learned he's from palo alto and it all makes sense now

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

being boston strong, they can do both

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

zoux posted:

Joey Votto cast as Neo in The Canadian Matrix

Neo is already Canadian though, drat, another job Joey can't get

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the new market inefficiency is picking your own mushrooms in the wild rather than paying for the premade capsules and I hope the influencers jump on it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

wow, incredible move by the Giants FO. every dollar they save is another dollar their owner can donate to a Trump PAC, really doing what they have to here

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat, good point about Cease finishing 2nd in Cy Young voting in 2022. certainly his backsliding is just an outlier, like 3rd in Cy Young voting in 2022 Alek Manoah

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

this has been a very confusing off season. not only is the coolest, best pitcher still not signed, snell and montgomery aren't either. the big C word seems like it could have been a real thing

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Bregor posted:

uh the Cubs re-signed Kyle Hendricks, don’t know what you’re talking about

I said coolest and best, not coolest, best, smartest and most handsome

I was referring to Zack Greinke earlier, to state the obvious

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

zoux posted:

Also if they're going to do robo umps they need to DO ROBO UMPS and have humanoid automatons behind the plate doing pop-and-lock strikeout calls

literally thought this same thing a few words into your post before synergizing that conclusion

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

just hanging out at the ol' virtual piss trough posting about CUM

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

if Snell finally figured his poo poo out mentally the dude is going to go out there and handle poo poo, even if he's not an innings eater he's one of the best in the game when he's on. as evidenced by the 2 Cy Young awards. as a fan of dudes who look like they're completely blasted I hope he's got his mental dialed in and signs with the Cubs

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it’s a little weird. He does look like an instructor

there is nothing weird about a proud father who also happens to be one of the greatest power hitters ever showing up in his son's teams uniform and just going around helping players get better at mashing baseballs while they're not even employed by the team, it's very normal and cool. edit: it also shows that he recognizes the error of his ways being a member of the Cardinals all those years and is working to undo all those wrongs

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 16, 2024

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Why yes I am excited for Cubs baseball

Wow great preview of how every game is going to go

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

same, I will happily go to bat for my cool new friend Shota Imanaga, at which point he will strike me out

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I can’t pass up an opportunity to remind people that even broken down “over the hill” Kershaw still had a lower ERA than one of the Cy Young winners

maybe there will be another shortened season that coinicdes with the window he's not injured to get awarded for it, even

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

can't believe scott boras keeps getting away with this :smith:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Shota Imanaga's 17.7 K/9 this spring is going to hold up through all 230 of his IP this season.

I disagree, I think he can average over 18

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

no biggie, my friends Yan Gomes and Seiya Suzuki are good for two bombs a game and the rest of the line up also Likes To Mash :cool:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Have you seen Juan Soto hit? He's like the coolest guy who does the coolest things in baseball.

idk man he's worth MAYBE a glyeber torres and like three prospects at best, really

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

it has to make a noise first otherwise how will i know they're calling?? :shrug:

this is on you for loving your grandkids smdh why can't more people have these kind of quality problems?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

we postin' about being merverts?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Did someone say Mash Mervis?

nothing better than lining up at the piss trough to talk our favorite cubbies with all the other merverts

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

personally I hope the one two punch of his wife telling him he can't play as many video games and spending 4.5M on his friends gambling debts puts him so deep in the doghouse he hits .092 and opts out and signs a 10 year contract with the Cubs

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

mcmagic posted:

why would he opt out if he hits 092?

so he can sign with the Cubs which he already regrets not doing, duh

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

here is my boring prediction for what happened and will come of this:

Ippei's first story to ESPN is the closest to the truth (Ohtani's PR people letting Ippei talk to the press without a lawyer is still a baffling own-goal, he should fire those people immediately if he hasn't already). Ippei ran up a debt with this bookie, came to Ohtani for help, Ohtani agreed to help him but didn't trust him not to just gamble away the money immediately so he insisted on paying the bookie directly, not realizing this is a crime.

Federal prosecutors mostly don't care about the bettors in this context, they're much more interested in the people running the illegal bookmaking ring. Ippei will cooperate with their investigation and suffer some mild legal consequences that pale in comparison to killing his cushy career as Ohtani's bff. Ohtani will at some point be deposed by the feds and at worst pay a fine, the league will not pursue the matter any further, accepting the results of the federal investigation as they have every incentive to repair Ohtani's image asap.

But these investigations move slowly, so this will continue to be a distracting story and twitter meme all season, perhaps longer. Once it's done a subset of people will still believe Ohtani was betting on baseball and the feds/MLB covered it up, another group will enjoy making bad-faith posts about the same because it's funny. A "special" group will forever cite this in defense of Pete Rose.

Particularly because he's on the Dodgers and everyone hates them now, this will never truly die. If he manages to win a title in LA a fun new narrative will be that MLB fixed the WS since they're in bed with gamblers. But who cares, even without this scandal there would never be a WS the Dodgers win with Ohtani that everyone will agree is "legitimate" since the haters will always find something to complain about.

everyone already hated the dodgers hth

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I do 100% agree Ippei needs help and it should start with a book on handicapping and a statistics class

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

dawg you wrote a 7 part essay on why your team needs a specialest boys trophy

edit: must be nice to be an A's fan, which I have not been for 35 years of my life, and not having to worry about anything other than cheering on your half AAA starting roster and hoping Fisher falls down a well

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

jfc this rule is criminally stupid

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The cool and drama-free Cubs are the clear Good Guys™ of 2024 :colbert:

incredibly truth in this post, wow

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Rickey's record will never be broken even with these bullshit rules and also anyone wanting Rickey's record broken is a Bad Person, namaste

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the Angels having hired an intepreter who turned out to be a complete degnerate is incredibly on brand at least

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Please bet on the Angels to lose every game this year and give us a trip report in October on how much money you made.

I'm down to do this, but I'm in California and something apparently happened with my usual guy, so any recommendations on where to go are appreciated

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

This is what you get for not signing with the Cubs :shrug:

:hmmyes:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the post that's about Ohtani?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Turn your monitor on

yeah man he's not pitching for a year but I still read that as acknowleding Ohtani is the best pitcher your boys have, but I'll make sure to turn my monitor on in the interim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I like the ump view for replays except when there's a nasty breaking ball and I have flashbacks to when I was in the box for the first time against a kid who could throw a slider and I realized that everything I knew to that point was gone forever but they hit me with the next pitch and getting on base is getting on base. Wow, this game, so many life lessons.