Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Most do. Adrian Beltre famously did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

meanwhile MLB is straight up lying about the balls issue
not the first time they've lied about the balls

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fess up, which one of you is this?

https://twitter.com/Josh_Frydman/status/1761132465173954893

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Congrats cubsposters, you manifested it through tireless posting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

It's been a different NL West member both of the last two years, so given that it's also an Even Year, I'm going to say the trend continues and this year it's the Giants.
folks we’ve been over this

It’s the Rockies turn to face LA in the DS (SF in 21, SD in 22, AZ in 23). This is the funniest outcome for at least two reasons:

1) duh it’s the Rockies ffs
2) it would mean that every NLWest opponent has beaten the Dodgers in the NLDS except the Giants, who lost to the Dodgers after setting a franchise wins record

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Apparently Bauer pitched a simulated game in his own gym against some Barstool blogger dweebs and gave up multiple hits, then posted about it on Twitter.

He is elite at self-owns

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

but I have to imagine his agent would have known pretty quickly after putting out feelers that nobody wanted to touch him with a 10ft pole and maybe he should just ink another NPB deal or something.
so the thing is his agent is Rachel Luba, who has very few if any other MLB clients. (Including Aroldis Chapman apparently, lol).

She’s maybe not that good at her job

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Puig had the good sense to drop her, which is funny

Edit: in terms of Bauer yeah he’s a self deluded dipshit who can not admit what he did wrong and still thinks he was a victim of overreaction.

Shaikin did a decent interview with him in the LA Times last week where Shaikin conducted it as an owner asking Bauer to justify why he should get signed. Bauer comes off terribly, it’s clear why no one will touch him.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 26, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Big developments in the "Is Kiké Hernandez back?" saga

https://twitter.com/kikehndez/status/1762209708314927244
best mascot in baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Just casually speculating that the woman who also worked for the mlbpa and who got Bauer the first 40m a year contract is bad at her job
lmao at acting like Bauer’s Dodger contract was some brilliant innovative agent work.

It was an Andrew Friedman dream deal, the exact kind of contract structure he’d been trying to get good players on for years. And he got Bauer on it cause Bauer famously, arrogantly proclaimed he would take 1-year deals to maximize his AAV and bet on himself.

It didn’t take some masterful achievement of negotiation on his agent’s part to get that deal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In fact he said he’d let his friend shoot him in the junk with a paintball gun if he ever signed a multi year deal

Then of course he said the player opt outs made it not count when people trolled him on Twitter about it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Masterful work by Andrew Friedman to pay Bauer tens of millions of dollars to pitch half a season
wait so it was a brilliant move by his agent to secure a contract because she knew he was going to get suspended for beating women?

What exactly is your point here? You tried to give her credit for getting an AAV-record deal but that wasn’t an innovation she had much to do with.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 27, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

This is why the owners continue to push for expanded playoffs. MLB salaries are paid out from Opening Day through Game 162. Teams in the playoffs get a share of the gate receipts but no further base salary, so all that parking and beer and hot dog revenue is free money for ownership.
players also only get a share of the first four games of a seven game series, so that they don’t have financial incentive to throw games and prolong the series for more money

Cause apparently thats a thing owners worried about

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To fix a game now you’d need to have a player who’s gotten into deep debt to gamblers who then offer him debt forgiveness to throw games.

Luckily the game keeps gambling at arms length and there’s no way an active player could fall into such a hole!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the globalized nature of online sports betting makes more obscure lower leagues the biggest targets for match fixing, as even those have enough betting volume to be worth it. Even if there's only 300 people in the stands at a 3rd tier Italian soccer game, there's gambling addicts betting on it around the planet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah even the NBA scandal that involved refs wasn't fixing game winners and losers, but point-shaving so that gamblers could win betting the over or whatever.

Baseball has so many micro-events to bet on now it's ripe with opportunities.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

in very important news, Ohtani will be hitting in a baseball game today

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1762495085013557589

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

they're really going through it in the bay these days

https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1762578928680780076

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

DHGate is what I usually use
Do you have preferred sellers? There are a ton on DHGate and my understanding is they are definitely not all equivalent.

Ace Jameson posted:

some reporter just asked him if he liked SF and considered signing there, and they basically told him that was a dumb question and he wasn’t going to answer it
gonna need video on this one for future use

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So apparently Kris Bryant didn’t realize the Rockies are a dogshit joke of an organization when he signed there.

Strikes me as a pretty big gently caress up by his agent to let him feel rushed into such an impactful decision.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I was gifted The Baseball 100 which I've been enjoying very much, something of a history lesson of MLB told through 100 of the greatest players of all time. I don't agree with all of the rankings necessarily but the prose is consistently interesting and - very importantly - the author correctly believes that Ichiro is the true hits king and not Rose.
Joe has said on a few occasions that the rankings are soft and kinda narrative driven. Mike Trout for example is #27 because that's his number.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The importance of the hit record to Pete Rose personally is one of the reasons I like recognizing Ichiro for it instead

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

requesting a wellness check on the city of San Francisco

https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1763714946339377291

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Giants spent 50 years in California without a championship and it did such deep psychic damage that by the time EYBS rolled around it only got worse.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I feel like Soto is going to have an incredible season this year and he's going to love NY and we're going to love him and then Boras will put him on like the Angels next year for 600 million and everyone will be miserable.
I like how this is Boras just placing a player on a team rather than the result of any agency on the part of Juan Soto or say, the New York Yankees

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Boras has a history of putting players in bad situations to get the biggest contract. See Rod, A.
The most famous agent in the sport who represents a ton of players has a history of doing Thing X, such as that time he did it 23 years ago

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if he does this bad thing a lot more than other agents then one would think you'd cite a few more recent examples than literally 2 decades ago

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think if he had a well established rep of bullying players into teams they don't want to play on for his own enrichment, Boras wouldn't be the most popular agent among players

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In his first three spring games Ohtani is sporting a 2.207 OPS

Between that and Yamamoto's debut 2 innings, I've seen all spring training I need to. Can we start the season now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Do you think he did a good job for Bellinger, Chapman, Snell and Monty this offseason? Throw JD Martinez in there too.

I don't think he's "what is wrong with the game" I just think he's more out there for himself than for his clients.
Is this Boras being bad at his job or is this a group a players that everyone knows each have major risk factors?

People keep citing Bellinger Chapman Snell Montgomery as evidence Boras overplayed his hand but the same people were all saying how flawed each of these guys is at the start of the winter.

And JD Martinez took a one year deal last year too. He’s a 36 year old DH, he’s just at that point in his career now.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 4, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe that reason was Judge is old af?

Juan Soto this year will be the same age that Judge was in his Rookie season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m sure this will go great, no issues at all

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1764646273800614294

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I get the feeling Melvin’s primary goal is to communicate “I’m not Gabe Kapler”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Giants manager: setting a National Anthem policy

Dodgers manager: showing off breakdancing moves and getting his rear end slapped by Mookie Betts

https://twitter.com/alden_gonzalez/status/1764712231428644972

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s ok he said “it’s not about politics” so surely that will be the end of it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is definitely funny that the Giants fired their manager because of a perception that the clubhouse was too loose and lacked structure and discipline, so they brought in the guy who couldn’t bring structure and discipline to the Padres clubhouse.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I was whining about this in the GDT but it is maddening that I can't watch Giants spring training games. NBC Bay Area or w/e is broadcasting a grand total of FOUR games this spring: https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/jenkins/article/want-watch-giants-spring-training-broadcast-good-18698339.php. The last time they were on TV at all was the Angels broadcast a week ago :mad:
you’re supposed to watch Dodgers games instead and get angry at Ohtani so you can call in to KNBR

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sounds like things are going great in Boston

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/1765030834682147256

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He's still only 34!!!
"only 34"

Clayton Kershaw's age 34 season was his 7th consecutive year making fewer than 30 starts due to injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh for some reason I thought that post was about Sonny Gray