Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap::circlefap::circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mustached Demon posted:

Ideal scenario: he mashes and Cubs give him more money. Also he comes to my birthday party.

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I believe that's a murder of Mervis

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

humpthewind posted:

https://x.com/JomboyMedia/status/1761835597684150542?s=20

This is far more important than another page of Cubs dreaming.

Soto is cool but also :wrong: Cubs baby love the Cubs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

The Cubs got a bunch of centerfielders now. They should give the Padres one.

Got a catcher or any pitchers who are decent?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mustached Demon posted:

We have Yan Gomes.

He's 37 and there's no way he's gonna be able to catch as many games again this year. I'd like to say I have faith in Amaya to pick up the slack but I don't.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is the year Kris Bryant finally awakens from his long slumber and puts up a Coors-fueled 60 HR MVP season on route to the Rockies finishing 73-89.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

I will not stand for the besmirching of Springfield Illinois. Birthplace of Abe Lincoln.

https://x.com/brendenmoore13/status/1762164351107059838

Hell yeah gently caress giving Reinsdorf money.

Good, hopefully Brandon reads the tea leaves and doesn't bend over to throw a bunch of city money at Jerry anyway.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Apparently Bauer pitched a simulated game in his own gym against some Barstool blogger dweebs and gave up multiple hits, then posted about it on Twitter.

He is elite at self-owns
Genuinely do not understand what his plan was besides he's a self-deluded dipshit who just assumed his pitching ability would override the still pretty dang recent and horrendous sexual assault allegations and just general bad clubhouse vibes. I get that he's 33 and probably doesn't have too many years left in him but I have to imagine his agent would have known pretty quickly after putting out feelers that nobody wanted to touch him with a 10ft pole and maybe he should just ink another NPB deal or something. idk maybe he's hoping some team gets desperate midseason because of injuries.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1762203114738770387
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1762205281759457650

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Brandon Crawford to St. Louis

Waino retired and somehow the Cardinals still found a way to drag the average age of the team up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Fixing the actual outcome of an MLB game is difficult but we live in the age of DraftKings-style microbets and stuff like "will the pitcher throw a first pitch strike", "will the batter strike out on this AB", "how many errors will be committed" etc are things an individual player could pretty innocuously influence.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was at a game at Wrigley with my buddy who was making micro-bets. He meant to place a bet that Bellinger would get a hit this PA, but accidentally bet that he would get a hit on the next PITCH. Welp, Belli slapped the next pitch for a single and he made enough to pay for beers for both of us the rest of the game. :cheers:
Stuff like this is the reason I just do not touch betting apps whatsoever. There's so many little things you would be tempted to do that could get you a nice payout that I know I'd fall down an insane rabbit hole.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1762541630882746782

This appears to entirely just have been a way to clear 40-man space for Bellinger, the guy the Cubs got back is not good but I guess it's better than just DFA'ing somebody. I'd like to see the Cubs be more creative with trades but oh well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

getting into the BSOHL does not seem to have helped

Honest question: does it ever?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FYI for folks with T-Mobile: fairly tight sign-up window this year so set a reminder!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1762614686384628199

:toot:

"Introductory" presser tomorrow for him, lol.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
loving hell Davis will never catch a break:
https://twitter.com/maddie_m_lee/status/1763245792029208832

bawfuls posted:

So apparently Kris Bryant didn’t realize the Rockies are a dogshit joke of an organization when he signed there.

Strikes me as a pretty big gently caress up by his agent to let him feel rushed into such an impactful decision.

KB always struck me as... idk sheltered? naive? The guy who says "jolly gee gosh" because he doesn't actually know what a swear word is. It sounds like he was just uncomfortable with the free agent process and jumped to sign at the first place that was offering a good contract so he could get it over with. As for Boras, as good as he is for players on the financial front I don't think he gives a poo poo that they're run poorly and are never going to win anything. He got Bryant his bag and if it really comes down to it they can put pressure on for a trade - although Bryant would have to have an actually healthy and effective season or two where he at least looked something like the KB of the olden days before anybody would touch that contract.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was gifted The Baseball 100 which I've been enjoying very much, something of a history lesson of MLB told through 100 of the greatest players of all time. I don't agree with all of the rankings necessarily but the prose is consistently interesting and - very importantly - the author correctly believes that Ichiro is the true hits king and not Rose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Joe has said on a few occasions that the rankings are soft and kinda narrative driven. Mike Trout for example is #27 because that's his number.

Yeah that tracks, and there's nothing egregious or anything.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Same author wrote The Machine which is practically a paean to Pete Rose (good book anyway though), so that's saying something.

He prefaces it with "I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, most of all Pete Rose who has disagreed very passionately about it to my face, BUT-"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants sign Marson Chapman?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1763789557378560236

our biggest need at this point was a SP but I'll take it!

Goddamn that's a bargain, are their any opt-outs? Either way Boras is getting slaughtered on his top guys this year.

e. Yeah it's basically the Bellinger deal again with slightly less cash:

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1763794006688096363

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Probably about as close as a guy who's made near $100M in his lifetime and is still due tens of millions more can come to understanding that capitalism is dumb bullshit hell bent on taking away everything good in your life to shave a fraction of a penny off the cost of doing business at all times at the expense of anything else.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1763969630828474772

It begins.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

requesting a wellness check on the city of San Francisco

https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1763714946339377291

Nah that's just their normal speed, the hatred is pathological. One time I was at Oracle for a Cubs/Giants game and while the organist was playing one of the rally melodies the whole stadium spontaneously broke out into a "Dodgers Suck!" chant. Funnily enough this was the same day I stopped by 21st Amendment before the game and noticed they had an on-site exclusive pour called "Dodger Tears" that was an IPA with pink Himalayan salt (it was good and my choosing to order it resulted in the bartender telling me that for an out of towner I was one of the good ones. I chose not to correct him that by that point I'd been living in the Bay Area for like a decade.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Juan Soto is probably going to regret rejecting that $400+ mil extension from I think the Nats?

Soto is in just a little bit of a different caliber of class compared to Bellinger and Chapman.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Soto's gonna hit free agency at age 26 on a no-doubt HOF career trajectory. Like you're talking about signing a guy with a career 154 wRC+ who's going to give you four seasons before he even turns 30. Dude's gonna get paid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gorman Thomas posted:

Madmen "I don't think about you at all" meme but it's Giants/Dodgers.

The SF hate doesn't really exist outside the stadium in LA, well outside the parking lot really. I don't even think we hate the Celtics anymore either.

Yeah I lived for about 10 years in SoCal and then another 13 in the Bay Area and this is definitely the feel. LA people don't give a poo poo about SF, maybe you'll get a snide comment here or there when it comes to sports but that's about it. Meanwhile in the Bay Area you'd think they'd had a bloody war or something, just nonstop purestrain vitriol about all things SoCal. Except Disney Land of course which is apparently exempt from geographic hatred.

My old roommate got his car window busted in San Jose one time and the only thing the rear end in a top hat took was the Dodgers hat he'd left on the dash.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Bryant went to the Rockies because the Cubs low-balled him and Colorado had money to spend.

KB hadn't signed prior to the lockout and once it was over was desperate to just get some kind of deal done, meanwhile the Rockies are run by loving morons who paid to get rid of Arenado on the premise they'd extend Story then let Story walk anyway, and were looking for anybody to sign who they could spin as the next big Colorado superstar to assuage their apoplectic fanbase. The result is they offered KB well above what his market was and KB was happy to take it without any real caveats.

And honestly I'd argue Colorado has more to whine about than KB does, like yeah he's shackled to a team that ain't winning poo poo but Colorado has so far gotten just 122 games and a 93 wRC+ out of KB since he signed and they're still on the hook for 5/136 with him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bellinger had a great 2023 but was coming off three down injury-prone years, and his bounce back came with some really funky batted ball data that is partially driven by a change in approach but also frankly signals he was lucky as gently caress last year and will likely regress unless he starts hitting the ball harder.

Chapman has been a consistently above average hitter but he whiffs at Javy Baez levels and his out of zone swing rates suggest he's not going to age well as a hitter. The last two seasons his glove has also gone from "best in class" to merely above average, and that's not expected to reverse in his 30's.

Snell won the Cy but also walked a ridiculous 5 BB/9 last year and his lack of efficiency meant he averaged less than 6 IP per start which isn't great for frontline ace. He also comes with a lot of injury history and it's unlikely he can be counted on to give 180+ IP regularly going forward.

Montgomery is fine honestly, but his expected stats the last couple years peg him better as a MOR guy than an ace, which is still valuable but not quite Boras megacontract valuable. He's also more of a location and contact management guy than strikeout stuff, and teams are more wary of that.

Honestly once you take Ohtani and Yamamoto out of the picture this year's FA class was kinda deceptively weak. I think Boras sensed that and figured he could get all these guys huge deals as a result of them floating to the top of an anemic class despite their warts, and it just didn't pan out for a number of reasons (the RSN bubble burst probably being a fairly big one).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

He probably should have taken the huge deal from the Nats. This is a rotten time to be entering free agency

Yeah but then he'd be stuck on the Nats

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs have a decent chunk of money coming off the books next year - even more so if Bellinger has another great year and opts out - and I'd like to see them take a swing at bringing Soto in. Realistically speaking though yeah, my guess is he's probably going to end up a Yankee or a Met. Alternatively he's the next Angels vanity project who gets insanely overpaid to immediately fall off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I’m sure this will go great, no issues at all

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1764646273800614294

lmao loving goober, are they also gonna bring back Sam Coomrod?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Who the gently caress is this even for?

Apparently... the other team???

quote:

“Look, we’re a new team here, we got some good players here,’’ Melvin said Friday, “it’s more about letting the other side know that we’re ready to play. I want guys out here ready to go. There’s a personality to that."

“It has nothing to do with whatever happened in the past or whatever, it’s just something I embrace."

“You want your team ready to play and I want the other team to notice it, too,’’

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It just feels like a weak smokescreen. There are plenty of other ways to enforce team discipline and unity - even via rituals - without specifically zeroing in on the very public ritual steeped in patriotism and rife with current political messiness. Could've done "every day no matter what the whole team is going to take full batting practice" which similarly demonstrates hey the whole team is here every day giving it 100% and is ready to play.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
According to the article Melvin had the exact same policy in Oakland and San Diego, and would "crack down" on players who didn't comply, but honestly yeah idk if Machado would give a poo poo. What're you gonna do Bob, not play your AS 3B making $40M a year? That's what I thought.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

It is definitely funny that the Giants fired their manager because of a perception that the clubhouse was too loose and lacked structure and discipline, so they brought in the guy who couldn’t bring structure and discipline to the Padres clubhouse.

Joc will stand solemnly every game for the anthem but will he stop blasting music and betting his day's wages on pusoy dos in the clubhouse after losses?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah I forgot he's trying to complete the set of NL West teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bad news for Gray too, hamstrings man:

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1765038867500126470