Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Lowetide/status/1761768727891333298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

Honestly surprised the Braves haven't tried to move d'Arnaud speaking of catchers

e: Like I get that you have to have a backup catcher but it seems like the value of what you could get for d"Arnaud is higher than the value you get having him backup Murphy

Old catchers really don't fetch much on the trade market.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Fixing happens all the time in smaller leagues. Check this wild article about fixing Canadian Soccer League games with professional Croatian players brought overseas specifically to help fix games while bets are placed in Malaysia.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...845e4684fd.html

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Manoah getting into the BSOHL does not seem to have helped

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chapman was offered 6/120 before last season so that sucks for him!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya unless Soto explodes a leg or hip or something he's gonna get Trout/Ohtani money

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

live with fruit posted:

There's a $300 million difference between Trout and Ohtani money.

Seems doubtful Soto gets $700 million but $500 million is probably a realistic goal.

The Ohtani deal is under 500 million in actual today dollars not bullshit future dollars.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Timby posted:

Soto is also a good, not great, corner outfielder, while Ohtani is an absolute beast both defensively and offensively.

He's not getting Ohtani money, but it'll certainly surpass the Trout megadeal.

We literally have no clue of Ohtani is a good outfielder. He has played like 10 innings in the outfield in MLB.

Also as I stated before, Ohtani money is just barely more than Trout money if you count it in today dollars.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pitching and defence are different things!

Pitching is pitching

Defence is defence aka fielding!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

42 million a year for Zack Wheeler!? Really?

By most metrics he's been a top 5 pitcher in baseball over the last few years. He's really really good!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I imagine they sign Montgomery by the end of the day now

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

One of my core baseball memories is watching Lawrie in some nothing game late in the season (which could have been any time after May for the early 2010s Jays) run full tilt into foul territory to catch a ball, and then crashing over the railing. My memory is that it was a little bit of a drop, too. Unfortunately, I cannot find this on YouTube.

Wish that hustle could have been turned into him becoming a good player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsnmzvVKkE0

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's still only 34!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Seems like a guy who does stuff like this would've tried at least a year in Japan or Korea but this guy just quit.

He just refused to not bust it at literally everything his body just fell apart.

It's too bad his 180 slo mo dunk videos seem to have been lost forever

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lmao some architect student from Sydney did that I'm sure

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/howardstutz/status/1765124555574853789

A mythical largest ever cable net glass wall. Ya ok.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Check out what Rodon did.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It rocks and I think I predicted it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really doubt the Yankees would sign Bauer cause of Cole and Stroman

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. That's some real cold poo poo lol

I remember the Jays doing this in the Ricciardi but can't quite remember the player. Maaaaaybe Bobby Kielty?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It was Reed Johnson!

He settled for 3 million but because he was cut in spring training the Jays only owed him 500k

And it was in fact Ricciardi who did it.

Not sure if the rules are still the same and settled cases can be terminated like this still but I knew that 1/6th rule existed for a while.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 12, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Snell won the Cy Young twice..... His ceiling is best pitcher in the league. Cease isn't that kind of pitcher.

He finished second for the Cy Young in 2022 lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If you go simply by last season sure it's not really a contest but if you go by the previous 3 seasons all 3 are pretty similar in terms of era/fip/era+ while Montgomery and Cease will give you more innings vs a bit lower era for Snell.

They all have advantages/disadvantages but to say Cease is bad while the other two are good puts a lot of weight solely on last season (and Snell has had some stinker seasons as well).

Finally Cease pitched in front of the worst defence in baseball last year while Snell and Montgomery had good defenses behind him. Cease's era was definitely inflated from that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 13, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya again there's advantages and disadvantages to all of them including cost of acquiring them. Ya you gotta give up prospects for Cease but you're probably paying him 25 million total for two years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Poque posted:

God the White Sox are going to be absolutely atrocious this year lmao

They should sign Monty and Snell

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

LOL that deal has almost 0 downside for the Astros and they still don't want to do it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

If Snell is really willing to take 2 years $60M then he should be signed yesterday by a bunch of teams, the more I think about it the more insanely team friendly that is

Ya its absoultely a bananas slam dunk deal for every team, hell even teams that are bad should do that maybe just to trade him halfway through the year and get atop 100 prospect or two

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Giants have had a great off-season imo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

Monty is a former Yankee, Cardinal and Ranger, there's a good chance he just despises the Astros

But yes I'd like Monty

Let me tell you one weird trick to get a player to play for your team

Pay them more than other teams will

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

there's three wildcard spots so of course it matters

Also its possible that EYB is back

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If the only time you can derive joy from watching sports is when your team wins the pennant or trophy you'll be miserable 95% of the time.

Perfect for posting in SAS

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 20, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gretzky hung his own wife out there so ya I can see Ohtani doing it to some guy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wow I can't believe Janet Gretzky got caught betting again!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

the other part is of course that $4.5M is peanuts to Ohtani so if he were the real gambling addict surely he'd be running up 10x or 100x that much

No gambling addict has just one bookie

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

please stop engaging earnestly with bawfuls tonight he will try his best to prevent us from being mirthful about this before the boring truth comes out

Lol the truth is never coming out

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Montreal_Expos/status/1770574098613047446

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jordan
Gretzky
Ohtani

We only need the greatest of all time in Football to be caught for gambling. Dan Marino I know what you did

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

There's a whole gambling ad about Tom Brady not being allowed

Ya but what's that gotta do with the GOAT Dan Marino?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Real talk though:

Even Year Bullshit is insanely powerful and starting right on time with the first game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

For real. Stoke the fuckin' fires.

Yeah I was wondering about that too--it's possible a deal with some team is pretty much done but just not going to be signed until March 28.

As stated above, he has no QO to worry about.