Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

more like a coors fueld hangover after drinking his IL related sorrows away

Can you blame him for missing wearing that iconic CubbIS uniform and being a piece of the 2nd most popular team in the state after STL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I would prefer Monty not sign with Boston and beat the Yankees 4 times a year for the next 6 years.

I think this would be funny as long as Boston is irrelevant and those 4 games knocked the Yankees out of the division race

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Imagine even thinking about Illinois south of I-80

Buddy you're asking for a Belleville Bellringer

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

elentar posted:

the very southern bit of Illinois is one of the most dire places I’ve seen in this country and I’ve pretty much seen all of it

Like everywhere else, rich areas of that part aren't as bad. Carbondale for instance. You just don't want to live in Carbondale because of the people.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Looks like Aussie Goatse

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sydin posted:

He got into a bunch of trouble with the Japanese press/social media for posting support for Ridge Alkonis on Instagram a couple months ago, entirely possible it made him toxic enough over there for teams to pass.

Makes sense, Bauer has the charming personality and demeanor of a fatal car crash.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Sports literally adds nothing positive to my life.

What, you mean you don't get a rush when you see your overachieving Devils Jets Knicks(?) Yankees ok actually yeah I get it

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

What's the "real" value of Blake Snell? He's an average pitcher most years and has peak years where he's a Cy Young winner. The market for any competent arm seems really high. Would Snell sign for 4 years? I know length of contract has been a sticking point for him.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I like bawfuls' postseason system because it gives the Dodgers a trophy and an opportunity to lose in the first round to increasingly silly opponents

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Best 24 hours so far

This scandal is simply too much for them on the field and will result in those plucky lovable defending NL champion DBacks to heroically only lose the division by 12 games

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's Mervin' Time

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Poque posted:

bad-faith funny poster reporting for duty.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Look you can't erase the history of the gamblers. Ohtani, Jackson, Rose. You have to tell their story.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This is what you get for not signing with the Cubs :shrug:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Eventually he did, but early on Arte gonna Arte

I'm sorry your ace pitcher is the most despicable player in the sport. Again.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

A Rose by any other name, that's for sure.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Pete rose is also a rapist shitstain, but I was talking about Forrest on Fire’s post

Yeah you're right

Ohtani is a DH not a pitcher for the Dodgers. I should've stuck with Pete Rose for my bad faith comps. Calling balls and strikes in these difficult times :patriot:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you're Pirates management, why is that not something that is immediately a no-go before you offer a contract?

It's the Pirates. Alcoholism is an inevitability

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He's overhandled and micromanaged.

Well he is a pitcher in Today's MLB so...

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Predicting that he announces he is retiring from the game of baseball to pursue his true passion, rooting for the Chicago Cubs.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am losing my mind over the fact that the guy's name is nolan gorman instead of norman gorman. DO SOMETHING MANFRED!!!!!

Classic league office protecting STL

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Woke up to the news that those poor teams can't outbid those big market DBacks for a lefty. Many such cases :smuggo:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's almost like there's an agreement among the owners not to offer Boras clients anything but 1+1 years at $25-30M

Oh, did you not hear about our FRANCHISE RECORD salary for 2024? It's only $50 million below the it's totally not a salary cap. Watch out everybody the small market teams are BACK

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's definitely to some end collusion to adhere to the first level of tax as a salary cap, and it's undeserved angst about player salaries ballooning. Boras also overplayed his hand and as a result his clients lost money. The MLB GMs are likely trying to weaken his influence by loving over his clients.

On the other hand, it means the Diamondbacks have a real rotation

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Considering pitchers are blowing out their arms every other year, I think it's loving insane Snell and Monty couldn't have found better deals. Baseball owners have proven themselves to be pieces of poo poo at nearly every turn, and baseball being exempt from antitrust laws since 1922 gives them all they need to be assholes. I don't think for a second there isn't some bullshit going on.

If you take out the Dodger's spending from this offseason, nobody ponied up any cash at all.

We talk about young players getting some shine through all of this, then have the Orioles send down Holliday and Kjerstad for "reasons."

The Orioles are in the middle of a sale so a remotely aggressive decision on rookie service time is not going to happen. They're cheap as gently caress but they're trying to sell the team and there's more flexibility for the next owner if there's 0 service time on the top prospects. They're also embarrassingly cheap, though.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Poque posted:

Lot of blue/orange in NY (Mets, Knicks, Islanders) and black/gold in Pitt, if that counts as a theme

Chicago has other teams besides the Bears and Cubs as well

And every other team strays further from God's light with each day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

What do Dorking Wanderers have to do with any of this