Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it definitely makes the team better, but "sign chapman to a short term deal and, idk, trade jd davis for a back of the rotation type guy" feels like a lot more work for a lot less payoff than just "sign snell lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Soto probably won't get Ohtani's deal because I don't think he's willing to play with the amounts of deferrals in ohtani's contract

I'd bet he gets something in the 500-600 range with maybe 10-20% deferred money

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

If it's more modern it's either Claire Eccles, who was the first woman to play in the college summer west coast league, or Kelsie Whitmore who played in like 15 games last season in the atlantic league, and who was talked about as having a knuckleball, but apparently hasn't thrown it in a couple years

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Zobrist is probably the closest, but he was pretty much always a "start some 100 games in RF this season, another 50 at 2B and 10 more across SS/1B/CF/LF" guy.

Other than that it's pretty much just "you're a SS/2B but we need your bat so we're going to try you in LF/RF for a few weeks, it fails and we move you back" like Jhonny Peralta in 2013

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

it is really funny looking at old red sox prospect lists and seeing Mookie Betts having "Jean Segura-lite potential" 4 prospects behind Garin Cecchini who's apparently a "future .300 hitter with 20-plus home run pop"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I mean, I guess conceptually like, a 0/.800/0 hitter fits, but an actual human being with anything resembling a human slash line would need just an absolutely putrid run environment to be batting anywhere near a better OPS+ than average

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

that's still only a .500 slugging, so it's a .625 OPS, or like a tiny bit better than miguel rojas managed last season for the dodgers, and he had a 66 OPS+

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's 1.063 OPS, which only Ohtani beat in the MLB last season. Ohtani's OPS+ was 184, so that would do it.

e: Minimum PA requirement is 502, which would mean this player would need to walk at least 19 more times in a season than Barry Bonds did in 2004.

so all it takes is prime roids barry bonds with a 100% three true outcomes ratio

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1768055646057067003

still no news on the return

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Bregor posted:

This is all conjecture but I feel like it's less of a panic move and more that a lot of teams were trying to get Cease on the cheap, then SP arms started exploding, and the price started going up. Chicago did very well here, I feel like San Diego didn't overpay, and the Yankees are left out in the cold. Win-win-win.

this trade does 100% feel like "oh poo poo the yankees might actually trade jones, give in on thorpe before the prices jumps again"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

yeah there are absolutely bookies in japan who'd eat a 4-5 million dollar loss to try to get a favor out of ohtani through his interpreter/friend

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Sydin posted:

Was Odor just never actually all that good or did he have some bizarre fall off in his 20's? My first thought was "goddamn retire old man" but I looked it up and he's only 30???

When Odor came up, he was a super young, super raw 2B who did just enough of everything to dream on a 5 tool guy, but then he started selling out for power and his average plummeted, and then he stopped hitting bombs too.

When you're hitting 30 bombs a season a .220 average and meh defense is mostly livable, when it's 15 they really aren't

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

more a combo of "the rangers not really having better young options" and "man if we can just unlock what he could be he could be our jeff kent!"

they were never able to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

10 years feels super long for a catcher who turns 29 tomorrow but 14 mil a year for for a top 5-10ish catcher is about what they're getting on the market recently