Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
cardinals strategy to construct an AARP rotation paying off already

https://twitter.com/katiejwoo/status/1764727011702943836

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

God I’m so irritated about this gray injury. What a stupidly constructed rotation. At least last year I was invested up to the trade deadline, I wouldn’t be surprised if Marmol doesn’t make it through may with what they’ve given him in the rotation. I hate people who just relentlessly doompost about their teams, I strive not to do it with my favorite teams in other sports but it’s so frustrating to watch this organization cheap out like they have

We like our farm and help is on the way, trust us!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

They'll wiggle their way into contention based on pure bullshit devil magics.

you gotta update your priors. this isn't the early 2010s anymore, the team fuckin stinks and has no one competent manning the wheel (or ownership that will let them spend money)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

John Mozeliak is your answer

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Smiling serenely to myself as John Mozeliak says this, as if the remaining SP FAs will be available in mid-April

quote:

“I definitely feel (adding pitching depth) is not something that is required at this point,” Mozeliak said the morning after Gray’s injury. “If something changes, we’d have to look at it differently, but we’re not thinking we’ll have to do that at this point.”

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I don’t get it either honestly. Before this extension I would have told you write marmol in pen as the first manager fired this season. I guess the optimistic viewpoint would be that Arenado and Goldschmidt had down years last year but Contreras was good and trending up by the end of the season, but the outfield is already in shambles and the youngest member of the rotation is 34. I do think the bullpen is better and ultimately I do think their record will be better than last season but worst to first just doesn’t seem realistic to me.

I would have traded Goldschmidt while I had the chance tbh. I’m glad they didn’t extend him yet, I’m sure that’s coming off the heels of this dumb bullshit tho

No, you see, they've addressed all your concerns this offseason and like how the team has looked in ST

quote:

“I’d like to touch on maybe the bigger question of why now,” Mozeliak said. “Bill (DeWitt Jr.) and I had been reflecting on this for some time. The way we approached our offseason was to address our roster. We knew there was going to be some major overhaul. We felt we had accomplished that. Then as we got into camp and seeing how things were working, we really felt like things were being run well and did not want to go into the year with this being a distraction for Oli, for the staff or for the players. Ultimately, we have a lot of faith in him, we believe he’s the right person for the job, and we’re excited to know he’ll be here for the next few years.”

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

They traded him away; he was constantly hurt; he is fast and can theoretically hit home runs; they never really committed to him; etc etc

He was unfairly maligned but he also isn't going to be a regular contributor to any team I don't think

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

big mac is cooler than slammin sammy. just this goon's opinion though

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol the team is already setting up low expectations. we hope we can go out there and compete

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Miles Mikolas mom is in charge of orange slices for opening day

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

throw the book at the dodgers imo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Pathetic.

Cardinals beat writers are resorting to pushing the storyline that the cardinals might be able to steal the opening series from the dodgers because of the ohtani chaos, which is hilarious. I can’t remember ever being less excited for opening day since I started following baseball

When Sonny Gray comes off the IL in July, it'll be just like getting traded a TOR starter

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

cardinals rock https://twitter.com/AldoSoto21/status/1772362689336967631

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I feel terrible for Dylan because he had a really good spring but this is pretty exciting man. This dude is gonna be good

i'm very worried that they are gonna gently caress his development. they haven't done a great job developing most of their prospects recently

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

mozeliak looks like a loving fool again. fanbase will never revolt, so gonna enjoy the protracted stay in mediocrity

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

hello from the cardinals current #1

quote:

“I had what, a 4.70 ERA last year?” Mikolas said. “Which is funny because that’s just north of a 4.50. And a 4.50 is a quality start every single time. If you had a guy and you said, ‘Hey, this guy is going to make 30 starts and have a 4.50 ERA,’ a lot of people, especially on Twitter, would say that guy stinks. But if I told you that guy was going to (throw) six innings every time out and give up three runs? That’s giving your team a chance to win a lot of ball games.”

the dodgers are going to score 10 tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sydin posted:

This makes sense though, I mean look how poor the Yankees are:

https://twitter.com/kbadenhausen/status/1772583844060741937

the poor st. louis cardinals just can't afford to spend money to attract high quality free agents