Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MLBTradeRumors.com is going to have to file for bankruptcy if this off-season was the new normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

I got the TMobile mlb.tv email. Sign up is between March 26 and April 1, so heads up everyone with TMobile

This is the only time of year I envy people with TMobile.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Josh Donaldson is retiring

What was weird was how people thought the A's were acquiring the rear end in a top hat in the deal when they got Lawrie in the Donaldson trade but, as it turns out, they were both loving assholes.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress you, other baseball teams.

Love,

The Dodgers

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I remember the Jays doing this in the Ricciardi but can't quite remember the player. Maaaaaybe Bobby Kielty?

Looks like they didn't go to arbitration at all in the Ricciardi era?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Toronto_Blue_Jays_season

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

Reed Johnson is such a "remember some guys?" type of player

The solo dim spot in the darkness on some very forgettable early 2010s Cubs teams.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yes.gif

What's funny about McGwire in St. Louis: the Cubs also had a pretty good first baseman (not exactly as good as McGwire) first baseman from 1997-2000

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 13, 2024

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

In other Yankees news, Luis Gil has GOD BLESS ME tattoo'd across the front of his neck now.

Does he have a sneezing condition?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Dollar dog Wednesdays though.

The Sox should give out free tickets if you show proof of buying a plane/bus/train ticket to Chicago the same week. Just try to make whatever they can on concessions and merch sold at the ballpark.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

chilihead posted:

Wow,i'm surprised. Not that they would re-acquire Duvall, but they must be hesitant about Kelenic. I understand platoons but it seems like the solution was already in house. Anyhow, Duvall will always go crazy about one month a year so totally worth it.

I am a Braves fan but i'm about to go into my second year living in downtown Denver. Love watching baseball at Coors field, wish the Rockies could compete. Really makes me realize how good the Rays were as an organization. Lived in Central Florida over 20 years and i got used to watching them compete with barely any resources. I mean last year before they lost the entire rotation they probably had a real shot and were still better the the Yankees.

I feel like the Rockies and Angels are completely hopeless so long as they remain under their current ownership.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Just discovered second game of the season will be on Apple TV. Now I'm all mad.

Are they continuing to use that incredibly loving stupid statistical system made by people who think sss batter v. pitcher matchup data is a good predictor of future results?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

If you haven't listened to the Effectively Wild episode where they interview the CEO of the company that supplies those odds, you should. It's unhinged and they honestly could have been way more hostile https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1853-what-are-the-odds/

That's where I got that from. They really wanted to help that CEO out in the beginning until they realized the company's entire premise for their odds-making system was wrong.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AndrewP posted:

My son's first year on earth had the O's winning 101 games and Angelos selling the team. He has absolutely zero baggage from the last 25 years and I am thrilled for him

Nah, man, it's all downhill from here.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The Dbacks are looking good.

I can't wait for them to win the division after the scandal-embroiled Dodgers fall apart and the Padres somehow post a record setting pythag under-performance.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Captain Log posted:

There has to be some bullshit like that going on. There is no way five good to excellent players all got dick.

I think it was just the penalties they put on themselves for the luxury tax as a way to enforce a silent collusion.
They also incentivized teams to go ahead and promote young players instead of continuing to take chances on vets who are, in the short term, always more expensive. Owners are very much all about the short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Don't know if it's specifically to gently caress with Boras but it's very clear that baseball's ownership has come to a decision -- as a group -- that labor costs need to go down.

Hopefully some idiot put it down on paper.

I think we can say Boras, and agents like him, have helped cause this but it's also not like they did anything to harm the game. At the end of the day, the game has been harmed because owners are now applying fintech bro thinking to the game and it's going to be bad for the game, in the long run.
Literally every industry I can think of has decided that the only way left to inflate profits is by demanding less workers do more work for less money.