Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cw: sick animals? maybe?

came home from the store and thought i saw a hurt bird in our back porch. its happened once or twice before that theyve flown into our porch window, i thought maybe it finally happened that one did it hard enough to die. its been sitting out there for like 30 minutes with its head folded into itself. i get closer and realize its not dead but breathing. i nudge it with the back of my thumb and its head pops up. oh, its neck isnt broken then. thats a good sign, maybe? maybe if i can get it into a shoebox i can take it to the spca. its still not moving despite me being 6 inches from it. now to swiftly grab it by the shoulders and put it into the box... 1...2... and it flew away as soon as my fingertips grazed it. you just napping on my porch bro? :confused:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it may have very well have hit the window. this isn’t always fatal. sometimes they’re fine, sometimes they die later. if this happens with any kind of regularity consider putting up some spots on the window to make it obvious that it isn’t a flight path

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah idk if it was just stunned or in shock, but ive never had one sit around for a while afterwards before. but yeah, after hearing about this, my wife wants me to figure out something to do to make the windows more bird-safe.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
If they’re stunned they’ll usually skidattle when you get close. If they’re concussed you can bring them inside for a couple hours and hopefully they’ll get over it. Or maybe now you have a bird corpse to dispose of.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

post hole digger posted:

my wife wants me to figure out something to do to make the windows more bird-safe.

https://www.featherfriendly.com/residential

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this looks perfect thank you.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

in happy news i went to the record store and they had just got done pricing some used stuff so i got a bunch of great old country records for $3-5 each in addition to some new stuff for :homebrew:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dying of phlegm this morning. feels bad instacarting this early but lord i need some mucinex

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

get u some pseudoephedrine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mediaphage posted:

good shout, ty

may as well get a thermometer too, doesn't feel like fever but i should probably have one anyway

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

the gently caress are you doin saying the m word on a goddamned sunday morning

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I've been working on this GroovyMiSTer project, trying to write a Godot client to broadcast game video to the MiSTer for analog output on 15khz and 31khz CRTs

It's working but my blit time is between 1-2x the vsync time so I gotta optimize.
It's been fun working with byte streams and buffers and UDP for the first time.

I did SO MANY chores yesterday, and got a workout in, and had date night at a French bistro. Today is going to be mega chill and I'm pumped

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

having corned beef hash and fresh eggs for breakfast

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

having corned beef hash and fresh eggs for breakfast

yum

i had aggs and an edamame spread on top of lettuce

plus a pineapple seltzer

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

weekend started off with a scare, which left me unable to sleep until almost 8:30am on friday.

went for pizza with my sister at the new pizza place in town. it was pretty good.

later i went and played dnd at a friends house and we ended early because i was falling asleep.

all weekend long i have been experiencing a lot of pain after standing up and walking. this is related to the scare i had.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hallå helgtråd

I’m makin soup and playin with kiddos

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i watched two movies with my ( high school senior ) kid:

the thing

they live

she agreed they were excellent movies.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ok!

went to the CNY parade last night, that was fun but my cough got a lot worse so i came home and just got zooted on nyquil and passed out. Today im gonna head out and pick up the wood i need for my shed. I think ive planned it out right but we’ll see. I think ive settled on a good roofing solution: that cheap clear corrugated fiberglass stuff with astroturf on top so the light coming through is a nice green and theres no bright sun reflection off it bothering me upstairs.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

been spending the weekend watching that “superman & lois” cw show and it’s not too bad I guess. ran the newest alliance raid in ffxiv with some friends and that was fun hanging with them again

not sure what’s for lunch today, but it’s already 1pm so hopefully the after church crowds will have mostly dispersed wherever I go

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'll be making tomato ramen tonight. trying out bok choy in it this time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

they banned that stuff here but the latest govt promises to bring it back

as a consumer I am pleased

as a gatekeeper of the sale I am dreading it

we’re more or less meant to treat people guilty until proven innocent. as in we should be convinced someone needs it before we sell it, rather than freely sell it but perhaps restrict the sale if we suspect the person has just sold a stolen catalytic converter to buy some

also random : there’s a new thing where people are buying up huge doses of nicotine gum. it’s funded here so it can cost like $20 total for 3 months supply of nicotine gum, but we’re discovering people are quadruple dipping around different pharmacies. at first we couldn’t work out why, it’s so cheap in the first place it’s hard to imagine that it would have resale value. then one day I had to turn down a dude and he immediately went and bought the over the counter one for lol $70 and basically because people who are vaping have huge doses of nicotine compared to smokes, the usual doses just ain’t cutting it, to try and quit vaping

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

man that’s even worse than the us just making you sign a list

at least in canada i can get it either uncut either way the pharmacist or cut with ibuprofen in the regular part of the drugstore

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

holy poo poo getting the first refund in taxes in over 13yrs :woop:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
doing laundry

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dioxazine posted:

i'll be making tomato ramen tonight. trying out bok choy in it this time

i got a bunch of noods friday and will assemble the sauces and stuff this week, ive been craving this style for a couple weeks. i got some corned beef in the freezer maybe i can work around that

Chris Knight posted:

doing laundry

next weekend

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

man that’s even worse than the us just making you sign a list

at least in canada i can get it either uncut either way the pharmacist or cut with ibuprofen in the regular part of the drugstore

well technically I just need name and address, but in practice we’d probably check photo ID and make sure they need it (store policy). i’m a bit less strict than some, once I heard a person talking about how a pharmacist made them feel like a criminal and I decided I didn’t want to be like that

thankfully now there is no methamphetamine around

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah it’s pretty frustrating. i looked up lobbying records a few years ago around the meth control act and found that the german company that produces the useless replacement spent $0 on us lobbying then it ramped up to like a million a year right around when the act was passed, then it went back down lol.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

graph posted:

i got a bunch of noods friday and will assemble the sauces and stuff this week, ive been craving this style for a couple weeks. i got some corned beef in the freezer maybe i can work around that

hell yeah, delicious noodles and liquid

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

oh yeah! someone in cjs alerted me to yam starch soba noodles and they were as good as I imagined. we made beef & broccoli in peanut sauce with diced peanuts over them earlier this week :)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
bought hella wood for my shed and stickered it in the back yard and im so tired, get worn out easily still. But ive got enough to put up the framing for the four walls. Doin all the framing with 2x6s because theyre burlier and make deeper shelves.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Video Nasty posted:

oh yeah! someone in cjs alerted me to yam starch soba noodles and they were as good as I imagined. we made beef & broccoli in peanut sauce with diced peanuts over them earlier this week :)

hell yeah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Video Nasty posted:

oh gosh i made so much brocc friday night i shoulda just done that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

sunday dinnner tonight: pepperoni pizza

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

sunday dinnner tonight: pepperoni pizza

picked up a cheese thin crust we are gonna add pepperonis to so, same

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

had to pick up a 6er of high life because the store was out of miller lite and by god I miss carbs

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Post-holiday surplus turkey, $9 for a 15 lb frozen bird. Spatchcocked and roasted at 425/400, done in 1:45.

This is the only way I can compete with grocery store rotisserie chicken wrt effort and cost. You have to really like turkey, though.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I do really like turkey, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Video Nasty posted:

had to pick up a 6er of high life because the store was out of miller lite and by god I miss carbs

i only ever had one high life before. i was drunk enough to think all beer was good, except miller high life. i think i described it as drinking wet gym socks.

maybe it tastes better in usa.
maybe it’s a regional thing. like american cigarettes always tasted funky too.