Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Thanks for making this thread. Looks super cool. My dad is into making sculptures with small driftwood and I guess his materials could be a good basis for one of these.

What happens when you don’t use the little jumping critters? Do you get a lot of dead plant material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

So I think I found a nice jar. But it doesn’t have a lid. What do you think is best to replace it? Just some clingfilm or a small plate or something?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Fishstick posted:

Clingfilm works as a temp lid. You often see corks used but I'm not a fan of corks in these jars because of mildew issues and the fact that they block light.

I get glass lids looking for things like glass serving trays, glass plates, cheese/pie covers, ashtray bases, glass coasters, etc. Sometimes you just have to get lucky of having Things Fitting Into Things.

Also: Belgian or Dutch? Can't tell if that's a GVA paper :v:

Haha, well spotted. Belgian, yes. They used the paper at the thrift store.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Some free top tier advice:
When collecting moss, check if it doesn’t contain a colony of fire ants.

Ouch

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Sorry, the correct term is ‘European red wood ant’

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
My wife got me this book:

looks nice.

I'm still trying to make closed terrariums. I just don't have anything yet i would like anyone else to see.
Going to a rough time with dad in the hospital. When I came back from the visit to the ICU, I noticed the concrete on the parking lot had some really nice moss growing on it (that they were gonna remove soon anyway), so I took some. I hope I can do something with it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

In working on one for my dad who’s very sick. The wood is something he found a long time ago on a beach and thanks to goons was identified as a piece of a certain wwII weapon.
I’m worried the plants against the glass might get into trouble? Or is that ok? I think I used a bit too much.
Still didn’t find any of these fungi eating critters. Fishsticks, if you buy them anywhere near Mechelen in Belgium, please let me know:) thanks.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Fishstick posted:

Love it, the plants should be fine - I have fittonias stuck to glass and they don't care. Might even get a bit crowded after a while!

Amfibia for sure has them as feeder bugs, depending on where you are in Mechelen I can bring you a box from my farm sometime, I work near the trainstation.

Wow, I live 10 minute walk from the station (one of the reasons we moved here).
Let me know if you want to have a weird insect trading goon meet by the station in one of the cafés there or something.
But I could also drive to amfibia in the weekend (they're not open during the week? But they have an insect vending machine, haha), if it's a hassle to transport bugs.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

uguu posted:

What's the difference between these and that jar that was closed off for 50? years and did fine?

And why do Belgians love moss terrariums so much?

I’m as surprised as you are.
Probably the lack of sun/space.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Thanks for the springtails, Fishstick.
Hopefully I used enough of them, didn't manages to make them fall off quite as easily. I though you said you flick the clay pebbles on which they hide, and then they fall off?
I probably need practice :)
Not much changed from my initial attempt. Also not sure if i gave it too much or not enough after before sealing it.
The lit has a small gap, so i used tape to seal it completely. Should i leave a little space?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I also filled our old secondhand terrarium with moss and a bunch of other plants now. It used to be our hamster hangout. But hams don't live that long and was a bit too emotionally taxing on my wife.
The thing has a build in humidity meter. I don't know what's ideal for moss? It's not a totally closed terrarium, so I'll have to water it.
Also, is it a good idea to keep springtails in this? Or are they gonna escape and get into the house?

I also tried a new one that I though would be low hanging fruit.But turned out to be very difficult, since that homer is way too big and it fills the entire jar.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Looks like a nice store to get plants. The terrariums are ‘a bit’ out of my price range.

You have a point about the terrarium not having enough features, but I forgot to mention that this was just me throwing every plant I got from family etc in there before they withered away. It’s more storage than anything else atm.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Fishstick posted:

Shrooms have evolved!

That looks great. How long do you think they'll last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I really have to drive to that thrift store. No way I’m gonna find nice stuff like that here in the city. They usually only have very small jars.