Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Well, thanks Athena, you've given me a lot to think about. Oh, I should probably let you know, we're going to be heading back to the pocket dimension to help the company with the cleanup and get our stuff back. I'm gonna clean Dirk's murderous brains right out of his smug loving skull while I'm in there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

"Well, thanks Athena, you've given me a lot to think about. Oh, I should probably let you know, we're going to be heading back to the pocket dimension to help the company with the cleanup and get our stuff back. I'm gonna clean Dirk's murderous brains right out of his smug loving skull while I'm in there."

JOSEI: Well, thanks Athena, you've given me a lot to think about.

You pause, and realize she's probably not clued in with what's going on.

JOSEI: Oh, I should probably let you know, we're going to be heading back to the pocket dimension to help the company with the cleanup and get our stuff back. I'm gonna clean Dirk's murderous brains right out of his smug loving skull while I'm in there.

Athena nods.

ATHENA: I have no objection with that. You need to get my brooch back, you know. I'm... not sure where it is. After you lost it, it was like my vision was obscured.

Her eyes flick away as she frowns.

ATHENA: I suspect that strange brass material to be behind it. But in any case - if you want me to offer you advice in the field, you need to recover that item.

She stands up straight, and dusts herself off.

ATHENA: In any event, Josei, you need to get some rest. I know you have many preparations to take care of.

You nod, feeling tiredness descend over you. You hadn't realized just how exhausted you were until just now. Athena notices your expression and smiles warmly at you.

ATHENA: You have time yet before the main events take place. Sleep.

You nod again, and flop onto the couch with Goodboy. The dog shifts a bit to get more comfortable and curls up around you protectively as the goddess disappears before your very eyes. You're half tempted to stay up and find something good on TV, but as you're mulling things over, Goodboy starts snoring loudly in your ear. The sheer sleepiness that he radiates is infectious, and you find your eyes fluttering shut within seconds of you becoming aware of it.

The next morning, you wake up on the couch with Goodboy's wet nose in your face and his slobbery tongue licking your cheek. You push him away weakly, and he happily dances away when Rebecca comes over and takes him outside to do his business.

You sit up on the couch with a yawn and rub the sleep out of your eyes, feeling relieved that there were no more nightmares or supernatural antics. Sometimes, it's nice to sleep like a normal person. You check your phone, and see that Sami texted you an ominious message - "Call me."

You unlock your phone and ring her up.

SAMI: Ah. Josei. Good. I reached my exorcist contact.

JOSEI: Yeah?

SAMI: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that he has availability. The bad news is that the process of extracting Thomas from Kiara's body will take time.

JOSEI: ...what does that mean? Why's it so hard?

SAMI: Because, Josei, he's a human possessing a human. It's easier to evict a demon's soul from a human because they aren't aligned correctly. Human souls don't belong in an inhuman body, and vice versa, so the body rejects them. But Thomas' soul is where it belongs and has taken root inside Kiara like a plant in the soil.

You frown.

JOSEI: I don't agree that her body is where it belongs, Sami.

SAMI: I'm not saying that in the sense of LIKING him using her as a meat puppet. I'm just stating facts - it will take work to dig out the roots. We'll probably have to drop her off with agents of the Vatican for at least a week or two.

SAMI: So this raises a question. Do you want to take her/his/their necromantic abilities off the table for your little adventure, or do you want to have Thomas tag along for the Dirk killing mission? As long as Thomas thinks he is fooling you and the others, I think the risk is low.

SAMI: Unless you think of another option, of course.

JOSEI: ...are you SURE you can't just have the priest rip him out of her?

SAMI: Yes. I am sure. The main reason being that he can't, but even if he could, it'd do as much damage as my 'ripping him out of her' would.

SAMI: Thinking out loud, the only other option I can think of would be going to Hell and making a deal with a demon to get her pulled out quickly. They're even more of experts at soul-handling than I or the Vatican are, but... well. Then you're dealing with demons.

> We have a few options here. Delaying going into the dungeon really isn't one, though. If we wait too long, Nike will just go in and take care of things using his crew.
A) Take "Kiara" with us on the adventure.
B) Give "Kiara" over to the Catholic Church to get exorcised. This takes them off the table for Dirk-killing.
C) Visit Inferno to try to find a third option. A bit risky, and it could be expensive.
D) Other stuff! If you have suggestions or other ideas, feel free to share.

Character Sheets & Inventory
USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $391,961
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω6.55

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
A) Take "Kiara" with us on the adventure.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. But ease up on loving with Thomas until after the job. Don't want him thinking he needs to find a way out, start getting desperate, start getting plans to do something stupid and unfavorable for us.

Ask Sami if an exorcism would prevent future repossession?

Inform Sami of the Supergun in case she would wish to make a wider range of bounties available, seeing as it would expensively but extensively expand our range of possible successful kills.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Postpone the vote until we can find out what kind of "new" necromancy techniques "Kiara" has figured out. If Thomas isn't going to be that useful (or in a way we can't stomach, like fueling his powers with dead virgins or something) we have other people we can call for backup.

Blasphemaster posted:

A. But ease up on loving with Thomas until after the job. Don't want him thinking he needs to find a way out, start getting desperate, start getting plans to do something stupid and unfavorable for us.

Ask Sami if an exorcism would prevent future repossession?

Inform Sami of the Supergun in case she would wish to make a wider range of bounties available, seeing as it would expensively but extensively expand our range of possible successful kills.

Seconding all of this but the vote, though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. The reason we'd take Kiara is to make sure we get all of her stuff, optimally Dirk gets neutralized or nerfed before we return. Thomas can't help with that. We don't want a toe to toe rematch with Dirk, we want to utterly cripple him before we even enter by exploiting his nature as a being with computer adjustable stats. The best revenge is making it so he can't do anything to us ever again prior to our re-entry.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C, trust the experts (with a contract that makes them trustworthy)

quote:

ATHENA: Doesn't everyone use everybody in the end? And is it such a bad thing if it is mutual? As long as she's helping you help her... it could be fruitful for all concerned.

Does this mean a mortal like us can use a god like you to achieve our ends? Is that really acceptable?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Postpone the vote until we can find out what kind of "new" necromancy techniques "Kiara" has figured out. If Thomas isn't going to be that useful (or in a way we can't stomach, like fueling his powers with dead virgins or something) we have other people we can call for backup.

Seconding all of this but the vote, though.

We can just ask Sami, since she keeps close tabs on all her employees... and any baggage they may have.

JOSEI: What is Thomas good at anyway? Not much point in inviting "Kiara" along if they can't do anything useful, you know? Is he just an evil necromancer dude?

SAMI: Ha. Very amusing. Technically, Thomas' was a black magic user with a specialization in necromancy.

JOSEI: What does that mean, he powers his magic with virgin blood?

SAMI: Technically, yes, he can. But in a broad sense, black magic is more of an epithet than a true category. It's when you bend the arcane towards power, control, dominating others, and even corrupting others.

SAMI: It's heavily associated with Inferno and the demons who live there... they pioneered the concept. Soul manipulation comes under the umbrella of black magic. The Council of Merlin frowns HEAVILY on black magic users... though that doesn't stop people from picking it up.

SAMI: Any cultist who is NOT an eldritch cultist usually uses black magic to some degree.

SAMI: From what I saw, Thomas was excellent at animating dead in general. Kiara specializes in shadecalling because it's a less intrusive and unpleasant form of necromancy. The music that shadecallers incorporate coax spiritual residue of the deceased into going through the dance of life again. It's a gentler process, and one that humanity has used for ages.

SAMI: Tales of village elders communing with ancestors probably incorporated one form of shadecalling or another, for example.

SAMI: TRUE necromancers don't bother with such niceties. Thomas could, for example, snap his fingers and force unlife into a corpse, turning it into a shambling zombie. This is a process that continues whether he focuses on it or not... which can be dangerous, considering a zombie's hunger for living flesh.

SAMI: He could also hurl bolts of necromantic energy that sap vitality from others and slow their movements. This could even lead to people aging prematurely... or rotting from the outside in.

SAMI: I believe that simulation did have some actual undead within it. Though confined to skeletons to prevent, well, user discomfort. He could probably co-opt them. He could also raise shades similarly to Kiara, though in a more... disquieting manner.

JOSEI: How so?

SAMI: There'd be no using music to imitate the heartbeat of life. He'd instead just gather up psychic residues, and mash them together while forcing negative energy into them. This would animate a shadow-being.

You scratch your head.

JOSEI: What's the difference between that and a shade?

SAMI: It wouldn't have any real memories or abilities from a fast self. A shadow-being can sometimes resemble a person, but usually is motivated by the hatred and jealousy towards the living. They are quite independent and hard to control, but a powerful necromancer can command them. They feed off of pain and fear, and usually enjoy tormenting the living by haunting them before finally consuming them and using their flesh as a puppet.

SAMI: They are quite weak to light, and avoid it at all costs. But in darkness, they are deadly.

A contemplative silence descends for a moment. Sami sounds very well-versed on all this. You suspect she's an expert, considering how she's constantly wreathed in shadows.

JOSEI: Okay. Got it. Can he also like, control shadows in general? Like to... darken an area?

Sami's voice gets an amused note to it. She probably can tell that you're connecting a few dots.

SAMI: Yes, he can snuff out lights if needed, and even manipulate the shadows of objects to create false duplicates. I heard he's quite good at using illusions as well.

SAMI: Some skilled dark magicians can even split YOUR shadow from your body. If done in a casual manner, it leads to a very interesting confrontation as it haunts you, constantly fighting you for control.

SAMI: Alternatively, a dark magic user could purposefully split his OWN shadow from his body. With enough skill, said shadow can actually be aligned with its' host, and will carry out his bidding independently. I suspect this is what happened with Thomas... many dark magic users use a sentient shadow as a backup plan in case of their own demise.

You try to process this, and an image rises up in your mind.

JOSEI: Wait a minute. So Thomas is basically Dr. Facilier?

SAMI: Who?

JOSEI: From the Princess and the Frog. Voodoo magic man with a shadow friend? "I've got friends on the other side..."

SAMI: ...Josei, your mastery of pop culture paired with your cluelessness about the uncanny amazes me daily.

JOSEI: Thanks, I try.

JOSEI: If we DO exorcise Thomas, would it prevent future repossession?

SAMI: It could, if Thomas is successfully contained after the ritual is complete.

SAMI: This is something the Vatican sometimes struggles with. I think demons would be MUCH more skilled at that... and would probably find Thomas' soul a pretty little prize.

JOSEI: OK. Hey, did I tell you about my cyberpunk gun?

SAMI: ...no?

JOSEI: Oh, well, I went into a fugue state and in between buying a bunch of super soakers filled with ipecac and Everclear, and a bizarre collection of dildos, I got an Illuminati prototype rifle.

SAMI: Excuse me?

JOSEI: I said I got an Illuminati prototype rifle.

SAMI: I was asking- nevermind. Anyway. Is there a reason you are oversharing details about your personal life, Josei?

JOSEI: Yeah? The thing is auto-aiming and can be tuned to murder specific supernatural threats. I was wondering if this would open up a higher tier of bounties.

SAMI: I could take that under consideration, if you manage to keep from botching the job you picked up with Dirk. At the present moment I have the suspicion you could end up blowing off your own head with the rifle rather than executing a target.

You wince at that imagery. It is not a pleasant one.

JOSEI: ...touché. But when I use it correctly, will we have access to stronger bounties?

SAMI: I can take it under consideration, Josei. I have a reputation to consider.

Outrail posted:

Does this mean a mortal like us can use a god like you to achieve our ends? Is that really acceptable?

Let's go back a bit to ask Athena this valid question.

JOSEI: Does this mean a mortal like me can use a god like you to achieve our ends? Is that really acceptable?

ATHENA: Haven't you already been doing that? I've given you boons of wisdom and personal training, and you are using those to your benefit. In exchange, I may at some point ask you to complete a task for me.

JOSEI: Wait, what?

Athena gives you an amused look.

ATHENA: This wasn't a pro bono arrangement. I've had a light hand so far... I have to, because I'm still cultivating you. But I am your patron, Josei. That comes with certain responsibilities, and as your abilities grow, so do my expectations.

ATHENA: Come now, Josei, don't look so surprised. Remember what I literally told you, the first time we met?

JessAlias posted:

SOPHIA: Be very, very careful about owing favors to any power in the Underworld. They are a currency just as much as souls are.

JOSEI: I... just thought you were, you know...

ATHENA: Just being nice? There's a component of that, yes. But I'll freely admit... even as a minor Power That Is, I still would like to have some pieces on the board. You are one that I have a... fondness... for, but that doesn't mean I'm your buddy.

Her face hardens a bit, getting more serious.

ATHENA: If you want to be best friends with a god, you'd best go looking for that drunk meathead Thor. The one thing that Odin and I both agree upon is that he is simply too fond of humanity.

Given this additional information, I'll leave the vote up until this evening, or until we have a clear consensus.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 20, 2024

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I'm curious about the whole spectrum of old myths are not actually myths thing. Apparently the Semitic faiths had a lot to them, Sami is Sami, the Fae are real, clearly the Greek pantheon and Norse deities, Chtulhu types, and classic European monsters. Is there a possibility I could run into Ahura Mazda, Cernunnos, Quetzalcoatl, Horus? It'd be a bit less shocking to run into someone powered by Kali or an actual Skin walker if I should just resign myself to expect anything at this point, really.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

I'm curious about the whole spectrum of old myths are not actually myths thing. Apparently the Semitic faiths had a lot to them, Sami is Sami, the Fae are real, clearly the Greek pantheon and Norse deities, Chtulhu types, and classic European monsters. Is there a possibility I could run into Ahura Mazda, Cernunnos, Quetzalcoatl, Horus? It'd be a bit less shocking to run into someone powered by Kali or an actual Skin walker if I should just resign myself to expect anything at this point, really.

ATHENA: Short answer: Yes.

ATHENA: Long answer, it depends. Quetzalcoatl is an obscure deity these days, even compared to myself, mostly known to scholars and history enthusiasts. At least I have the dubious honor of appearing in things as ridiculous as pop culture or video games, for example. When the average person thinks about the Aztecs these days, they think more about priests ripping the heart out of sacrificial victims than the god they performed that action for. If you ran into that old Power, you'd probably come across a wizened feathered serpent more than a fearsome deity.

ATHENA: There is a reason why the Demiurge is such a jealous god. Most of the old pantheons warred with each other... he was the first one to truly weaponize human belief to steadily eliminate competitors. When his forces made their dreadful deal with Constantine... those were dark days. Truly the end of an era.

ATHENA: For cryptids... well, some of them are definitely real. Some of them aren't. I think that cryptid hunting book you have mentions drop bears and jackalopes. Those entries are put in as a joke.

There's a brief pause, as she is unable to keep from restraining a smile.

ATHENA: Bigfoot is real, however, though I wouldn't recommend going up and shaking his hand.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lol at the celestial drongo who doesn't believe in actual real world animals.

Q: So if I start a cult can we create a god?

Or start a Quetzalcoatl cult and make it more powerful, or shape how it behaves with collective belief?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Outrail posted:

Lol at the celestial drongo who doesn't believe in actual real world animals.

Q: So if I start a cult can we create a god?

Or start a Quetzalcoatl cult and make it more powerful, or shape how it behaves with collective belief?

ATHENA: If you are very lucky, yes, you might.

ATHENA: But the problem with cults is that they act like a beacon of belief. If you are desperately praying into a void, SOMETHING may answer that pretends to be what you seek... and then you go down a dark rabbit hole indeed. This is how many eldritch cults get started, incidentally.

ATHENA: Also yes, you could start a cult to a dying god like Quetzalcoatl. Good luck finding many converts! Though at least it would be less dangerous than praying into the aether and hoping a Great Old One doesn't decide to play a very nasty trick on you.

ATHENA: I must note that gods are not merely vast vessels designed for containing belief - I still derive some level of power from the sincere and effective pursuit of wisdom, for example, just as Ares gains influence with slaughter. Otherwise I would have withered away and vanished millenia ago. But a god with no followers and no knowledge of their meaning, let alone existence, is scarcely a god at all, is it?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

JessAlias posted:

But a god with no followers and no knowledge of their meaning, let alone existence, is scarcely a god at all, is it?

Yes, being a human is tough

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Which gods are dead?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> So here is where we stand:
A) Take "Kiara" with us on the adventure. (2 votes)
B) Give "Kiara" over to the Catholic Church to get exorcised. This takes them off the table for Dirk-killing. (1 vote)
C) Visit Inferno to try to find a third option. A bit risky, and it could be expensive. (1 vote)
D) Other stuff! If you have suggestions or other ideas, feel free to share.

This really isn't a consensus, but A) has two votes when we have one for each of the other options. If I don't see any movement before about 8PM CST I'm going to move forward with taking "Kiara" along.

AJ_Impy posted:

Which gods are dead?

ATHENA: A difficult question to answer. There are countless hundreds of Old Gods who existed even before I was a thought, all endlessly fighting over each others' realms, and some even usurping the titles of those they slew. The scale of the winnowing was great in those long-ago days.

ATHENA: Oranos, the father of Kronos, who was the father of Zeus, is a name that might be familiar, but many more are nameless to us now... lost to history.

ATHENA: Many of the - what is the term? Native American, I think? Their gods were wiped out by the Old World and the jealous Demiurge... a few still linger, greatly attenuated. Quetzalcoatl being one such example. In the east, the fight to kill Chernobog was a mighty one, or so I heard. The Knights Templar would know more of that.

ATHENA: Of course, even further east Marxism and Maoism devoured gods left and right... or smothered them, at any rate. Keep in mind, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference from a dead god, and a dormant one. One can easily be mistaken for the other. And as I am not omniscient, I can hardly provide a full accounting.

She gets an amused expression.

ATHENA: For a time, the sheer waves of fervor made me wonder if we'd see a modern apotheosis of the Communist saints. Alas, that paradigm has waned, so the great experiment will go unfinished.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Voting B for giving "Kiara" to the church for an exorcism. Feel rather uneasy about taking the possessed ally along for this. And perhaps we've had enough of devil dealing for a little.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 21, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Welp, given what we learned about how Thomas works, I'm gonna go tie it up with a B vote. We don't need his kind of help, and I'm sure Kiara wouldn't appreciate us extending her torment for days and days further just because her possessor's skills are convenient for us. Like I said before, we have other people we can call on, and Nike might be able to nerf Dirk into the ground before we even step foot in there. And uh, somehow I doubt any demonic actors would have her best interests in mind, regardless of their professed expertise.

I'm not at all shook up about Athena's talk re: the give and take, either. All relationships are a matter of exchange to some degree, even personal ones! There's a word for thinking you deserve something for nothing: selfishness.

e: well then.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 21, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

B) Wins at 3 votes. Working on the next update.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

JOSEI: OK. I've thought it over. I want to get Kiara fixed up. It feels wrong to take advantage of any special abilities Thomas has while prolonging her suffering. Do I need to help bring her in?

SAMI: No. I'll take care of it. Go ahead and take care of what you need to... I think Nike mentioned to me that he will be tapping you to discuss the game plan later today, so I'd recommend getting your proverbial ducks in a row. Have a good day.

JOSEI: Thanks, Sami.

With that done, you hang up and get started on your routine. First, you stop by Richter's to pick up the 12 advanced Israeli gas masks, plus a magazine of the cyberpunk gun's ammunition. The cost is eye-wateringly expensive. He also presents you a list of different specialized rounds for the combat shotgun you purchased before.

You have purchased: 12 advanced gas masks - $3600 USD

In addition to the Willie Pete (white phosphorus) shells you already bought, he offers some dragon's breath shells, flechette shells that have more penetration power than buckshot while having more spread than slugs, and breaching rounds that help with blasting through locked doorways. He also offers a limited supply of explosive shells, but warns that they are experimental and hard to purchase more of.

You have purchased:
50 rounds Dragon's Breath shells: $400.00
50 rounds flechette shells: $300.00
20 rounds breaching slugs: $250.00
10 rounds explosive shells: $1000.00

TOTAL COST: $1950 USD

You also decide to meet with Cadogan again, to find out your options with buying some 'health potions.' A part of you wishes you still had the ones from inside the simulation. Then again, they might not have done anything, so maybe that was for the best. He has both instant healing potions, and regeneration ones. You sort of wish Kiara was in her right mind, because you really, really wanted to make a Minecraft joke. Alas.

> Cadogan only sells his potions using soulmarks. How many do we purchase?
Regeneration Potion (allows rapid healing over 10 minutes): 1 soulmark/potion
Healing Potion (instantly heals all injuries, single use): 1 soulmark/2 potions

SOULMARKS AVAILABLE: Ω6.55

After finalizing your purchases, you get a phone call from Nike.

JOSEI: Heyo! Nike, what's up?

NIKE: Josei! I was wondering if you've recovered enough to make plans to enter the simulation tomorrow? I don't think we can wait much longer.

JOSEI: Sure. I'm game. Where do you want to meet?

NIKE: I think the Famous Adventurers field office will be best. Would tonight at 7PM work? That would allow you to have some dinner before coming by.

JOSEI: Sounds awesome. See you soon.

At 7PM, you, Ivan, and Becca all head to the Famous Adventurers field office. It's been closed early to make sure mundane folks aren't hanging around. Raymond opens the door for you and lets you in, and ushers you all to the back office, where Nike is sitting at a large table.

He's a bit different than last time, however. Instead of wearing the usual red cloak and armor, he's wearing a modern suit jacket and trousers. He notices the odd look you're giving him, and laughs.

NIKE: I can't go around in my adventuring garb when walking about here, even though it's much more comfortable than this outfit, I will admit. Maybe if there was a renaissance faire going on, hm? Anyway!

You gestures at the table, and you all take a seat. The table is covered with a bunch of blueprints, a photograph of Dirk, and even multiple maps of the simulation. Each map looks a bit different, probably showing the configurations the place can take. Nike begins tracing a route as he speaks.

NIKE: So here is the situation, my friends. Unfortunately, since Veldrin saw fit to destroy our monitoring and control equipment from this side, we're in a pickle. Or at least some manner of gherkin.

He pauses.

NIKE: Tough crowd. Alright! Moving on... I do have an override ring I created for this sort of eventuality.

He shows you his right hand. On it is a ring with a sapphire inset, that looks very similar to the one that Dirk wears. Your eye twitches a bit. You're definitely not having involuntary flashbacks of any kind.

NIKE: ...are you alright, Josei?

JOSEI: I'M FINE. Continue.

Nike seems nonplussed, but he shrugs and continues.

NIKE: Ahem. Now, obviously we don't have the ability to use the AI Director to do a full scan of the sim to see what's going on. But... I have been popping into the sim regularly to scout. It's gotten... difficult. Dirk's incredibly paranoid, and unfortunately, he doesn't recognize me as his creator anymore.

JOSEI: How do you know that?

Nike gives a sad smile.

NIKE: Because I tried to talk to him like a reasonable person after your intrusion. Unfortunately, the fact that your bodies disappeared... he thinks I sent you all in there to free Veldrin and kill Dirk, or something insane like that, and now I am obviously holding you all in reserve to attack him.

NIKE: My ring DOES give me the ability to conduct overrides on the sim, but I think Dirk has been tampering with the sim as well. I don't have anything concrete, but some of the readings I took while going in there are... worrying.

He plucks at his lower lip absently.

NIKE: Not to mention that I tried to explore that factory that you all found, but there are guards posted now. And I'm not talking about Veldrin's NPCs. They are combat automatons from the Children of Vulcan, and I'm fairly sure they're working in concert with Dirk. It's not like the Children of Vulcan have any special affection for Veldrin, after all.

NIKE: If I engaged them by myself, I'm sure it would raise an alarm. I could handle them myself, but then that gives Dirk advance notice... that, and it gives an opportunity for those bastards to pack up and leave, or torch the place, taking the concrete evidence of their involvement with them.

He holds up a hand.

NIKE: And yes, I could try to scrap the automatons and present that as proof... but all that shows is that I destroyed some of their automatons, not that they have set up a full facility in my domain.

JOSEI: So what's the plan, then?

He claps his hands, a delighted grin appearing on his face.

NIKE: We'll be doing a two pronged approach.

He holds up one finger.

NIKE: First, I will advance on Nocturna Silvarum personally. From what I can tell, Dirk has holed up in there permanently. Probably because when the sim resets, he isn't forced back to his starting position if he's in the same room as the keystone.

NIKE: This will distract him, and I can use my ring to try to weaken him if he confronts me. I can also normalize or wind down portions of the sim as I work my way to Dirk, and possibly free Veldrin or anyone else he has taken captive.

He then holds up a second finger.

NIKE: Josei, you and your team will need to return to that blasted factory. I will be raising such a ruckus I am positive that the automatons will shift their guards to cover against my approach, creating an opening for you all to enter the factory. Once in there, gather evidence and cause havoc. Maybe free those fire elementals?

NIKE: Then escape as quickly as you can, and join me for the final attack on Dirk. By that point I should have weakened him enough that we can easily dispatch him together. At least... if I haven't already offed him.

You turn this plan over in your head. Instantly, you find something to dislike.

JOSEI: Wait... so you're saying there's a chance that I- er, WE won't be able to kill Dirk?

Nike blinks, and shrugs.

NIKE: Yes? Though you'll still be contributing to it. It will be a team effort.

Your eye twitches again.

FLAW ACTIVATED - DIRK'S JUST DESSERTS.

> This plan is unacceptable. There's a chance that you might not even be involved in getting the revenge you deserve making sure that a dangerous, rogue automaton is destroyed. How do you react?

A) Inform Nike that you think the primary goal should be killing Dirk. He's the biggest danger. AFTER doing that, you all can infiltrate the factory.
B) Inform Nike that you would be much a MUCH better fit at killing Dirk, due to your prior experience. Nike should be the one infiltrating the factory.
C) Lie and say that you'll infiltrate the factory quite happily. The moment Nike's back is turned, try to beat him to fighting Dirk.
D) Begrudgingly agree to infiltrate the factory. The moment you and your team have done the bare minimum of what he asked for, leave to join the fight against Dirk.
E) Refuse to work with Nike. Find an alternate way to get into the pocket dimension. What if you tried to reach out to the Children of Vulcan, perhaps...?

ONE OF THESE OPTIONS MUST BE SELECTED.

> We can also ask questions for clarity, but in the end, Dirk needs to die at our hands...

USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $386,411
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω6.55

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 21, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
you ask Nike how the the children of Vulcan get involved this project in the first place.

Also unload on him how you really hate Dirk He got the rigth to know...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What kind of evidence do you need? Photographs, some of their muskets, papers?

e: Don't spill the beans, if he knew how obsessed we are he almost certainly wouldn't let us come along.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 21, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

you ask Nike how the the children of Vulcan get involved this project in the first place.

JOSEI: How'd the Children of Vulcan get involved in the first place?

NIKE: I have no idea. They must have managed to find a way to get past the AI Director's monitoring systems.

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Also unload on him how you really hate Dirk He got the rigth to know...

McSpanky posted:

What kind of evidence do you need? Photographs, some of their muskets, papers?

e: Don't spill the beans, if he knew how obsessed we are he almost certainly wouldn't let us come along.

You sit back for a moment, and imagine how that would go.

From Within Josei's Mind posted:

JOSEI: Nike, I just want to make sure you're aware, I loving hate Dirk.

NIKE: Er, yes? I could tell. The way your eye twitches when I mention him, or when you see something that reminds you of him, was rather noticeable.

JOSEI: What? Eye twitches? No idea what you're talking about, there.

JOSEI: Anyway, for some reason, I need to make absolutely sure you understand how much I loathe that guy.

NIKE: ...OK?

JOSEI: Like, I'm not kidding. If he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put it out.

NIKE: Alright, um, anyway-

JOSEI: If there was a trolley heading to an intersection, and one way led to a bus of schoolchildren, and the other had Dirk, I'd run over Dirk EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Yeah, probably not a good idea. Instead, you ask a clarifying question.

JOSEI: What kind of evidence do you need? Photographs, some of their muskets, papers?

NIKE: All of the above would be nice. But really... ANYTHING concrete would help. Pictures first, since I imagine that is easier. Then after that... the more you retrieve, the better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Buy four instant healing potions from Cadogan.

D) Begrudgingly agree to infiltrate the factory. The moment you and your team have done the bare minimum of what he asked for, leave to join the fight against Dirk.

Hit up Richter after our meeting, see if he can get us some high explosives on short notice. C-4, dynamite, whatever's good for blowing up factory machinery. The quicker we can bust up that joint, the faster we can get that smug bastard.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Also you should escort Rebecca here since a tech head like her should be helpful to find something to screw up dirk's plans...

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 21, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Go with D.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
D

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

It feels almost physically painful to agree to infiltrate the factory. But, begrudgingly, you have to admit Nike's plan makes sense. You'd rather kill Dirk, but you're not in charge.

You slap a hand on the table and give Nike a thumbs up.

JOSEI: Got it, Nike. We'll have your back in whatever way we can.

A part of you suspects the grin you're pasting on your face looks more like the rictus of a corpse, but it's the best you can do, considering the circumstances. Nike nods approvingly at you all, and beams at you, causing you to feel an unwilling tug at your heartstrings.

NIKE: Wonderful! I will give you all a day to prepare yourselves before returning to the sim.

As the group heads off, Ivan stops you in the corridor. He has a slight frown on his face.

IVAN: You've been acting... off, since we got back, Josei. Is something going on?

You study his face carefully for any signs of suspicion or... whatever, and he keeps a steady gaze back at you, not looking away for a moment. You exhale a bit... on the one hand you could tell him what's going on in your mind-palace right now. Some of the nightmares that you've been having, things like that.

INSIGHT ROLL: 2 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 3 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

But talking about your feelings is just... it's just something you don't do. You're fine, he's fine, everyone's fine. Once Dirk is dead and gone, you'll be OK.

JOSEI: I'm fine, Ivan. Just ready to put this whole business behind us.

You try to walk around him, but he shakes his head. His frown gets deeper.

IVAN: Josei, my friend. You are not in a good mental state. I understand that the way things ended was difficult, but if you're going to be heading back into the field, you have to be able to think clearly. Otherwise, you may make poor choices.

INSIGHT ROLL: 6 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 7 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

You meet his gaze evenly.

JOSEI: I said I'm fine, okay? Jesus. I just had a bad night's sleep.

Ivan looks doubtful, but lets it drop. As you get in your car and drive home, you can't help but feel angry and annoyed with him. It's not like he's one to talk... didn't he say he fell apart and became a shitfaced drunk after he died for the first time?

Meanwhile, all that's going is that you have a LOT of intense focus on getting a really, really important thing done. What's wrong with that?

The next morning you spend some time doing your final preparations. You grab a couple of health potions from Cadogan, which you figure will be helpful if anyone gets injured. Then you visit Richter and get an arsenal of various explosives, to help with sabotaging the factory. Lastly, you make a specific point of making sure you pack your Soul-Speed Sneakers.

You have purchased:
3 M72 LAWs: $9000 USD
10 pounds black market Semtex and detonators: $2500 USD
4 instant health potions from Cadogan: Ω2 SM

TOTAL COST: $11,500 USD, Ω2 SM

Finally, you check in with Sami and ask if the whole "Rebecca selling her soul" thing can be kept in the back pocket, rather than allowing her to just rush off and make a VERY final decision. Sami, happily, is completely fine with that. In retrospect you shouldn't be surprised... that's basically her usual modus operandi with recruiting bounty hunters.

With all that done, it's time to get going.

You all meet back up once more at the Famous Adventurers store, in the former control room. It's still scorched, but all the broken equipment has gotten carted out. You feel a bit amused to see that Nike has been busy chalking in various runes and other sigils on the ground, with lines radiating from the symbols towards the portal archway that's against one wall. Nike is finishing up his preparations by moving a nearby whiteboard onto a portable easel with a squeaking wheel. On it is a basic diagram of the Nocturna Silvarum section of the sim, with a red arrow indicating the entry point. He taps it gently.

NIKE: We'll be appearing outside the town, similar to the usual spawn location... but in a nearby forest, rather than the usual grassy field. That way we hopefully don't attract Dirk's notice. In addition, I picked a location near the cemetary, so you all can use that secret passage to hopefully enter the factory once again.

Rebecca raises her hand.

REBECCA: Any reason we can't just appear right where the keystone is?

Nike laughs lightly.

NIKE: Technically, yes, we could try to do that. The problem is that I suspect Dirk is camped out right there. It would make sense, after all... he doesn't want anyone tampering with the keystone to try to depower him.

NIKE: It's much safer if we appear on the outskirts of town. And besides... being further out, I will have more of a chance to stir up trouble, and thus draw the attention of anyone untoward.

NIKE: Any other questions?

You and Ivan share a look, and shrug.

JOSEI: I don't think so, aside from wondering if we'll have a way to communicate.

Nike brightens a bit. He rummages in a pocket, and pulls out some of those earpieces that you all had used earlier.

NIKE: Here. We can use these to speak to each other remotely. And don't worry about Dirk listening in using the ones you left behind... I've changed the frequency.

You all put them on and give them a test run as Nike goes over to the portal archway and speaks several arcane words, and makes a few gestures. The portal flares into life. In the past it led to a room with a fountain, where Raymond had placed a starter chest with basic supplies. This time, though, it appears to lead into a verdant forest. Or at least formerly verdant... you notice a lot of the trees have been denuded of leaves, and a few even appear scorched.

You take a step forward to get a closer look, but Nike holds out an arm.

NIKE: Let me go first. I'm more resilient.

He gives you all a jaunty wave, and dives through the portal feet first. You can see him through the portal, though the image is wavery and distorted, like looking through the surface of a pond. You can make out a grim expression on his face. He gestures for you all to follow him.

After exchanging slightly nervous looks, you and Ivan go next, followed by Rebecca. A shocking sight greets you all.

OPTIONAL MOOD MUSIC: Immortal

The formerly peaceful looking valley looks like a massive earthquake ripped through it. Rifts scar the landscape, with an unearthly red glow radiating from the. The village looks and ruined. It's like decades passed in between your last visit and now.

In the distance, you can see a pulsing pillar of ominous red light eminating from the distorted shape of Veldrin's castle. Even from this distance, it looks... wrong. Distorted, and slightly unreal. You realize segments of it are flashing in and out of existence, or even have turned completely non-Euclidean.

Something has gone very, very wrong.

USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $374,911
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω4.55

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 21, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

The ancient general slept, dreaming of past struggles. Some of the old memories felt so vibrant, so fresh, that it was almost like they had happened yesterday. First the Nika riots, that had almost toppled the rule of his liege, long ago. Screaming crowds of the Blues and Greens, egged on by corrupt senators to depose the reigning basileus. Then, the eternal struggles against the Persians, the reconquest of the West. Glories upon glories. Finally, a long twilight, watched by an ever-suspicious liege, who always feared yet admired the popularity of his most beloved general.

Then he sensed hands on his frame, turning keys and activating runes to awaken him. His mechanical eyes flared into life, marvels of engineering that whirred and clicked constantly. Over him loomed the worried face of a young boy clad in unfamiliar robes.

Like every time when he awakened after a long slumber, he felt confusion as he tried to orient himself. But the sigil of the Eye of Providence on the boy's robes helped ground him, as did the distant rumbling of mighty steam engines, the clanging of metal hammers, and the rhythmic chanting of the priests at work in the surrounding forges.

He was in the headquarters of the Children of Vulcan, the Crucible of Echoes.

The general gave a mechanical sigh. "The pontifex maximus requires my aid, does he?"

"Yes, my lord-"

He raised a hand, shaking his head. If he still had a proper face instead of his immobile mask, he'd smile. "Just call me general, my boy. I am no lord - just a faithful servant of Rome."

"Er. Yes, my general." The youth bobbed his head nervously. "Um. Do you require aid in dressing yourself, my general?"

The old Roman gave a negating wave of a hand. "No, it's not like I am swaddling myself in layers of finery. I have no modesty left to preserve, with naught but a few scraps of flesh remaining on my frame. You are dismissed."

"Of course." The youth backed away, bowing low. He scampered out of the room as the general moved towards a locker that held his arms and clothing, such as it was. A sword to clip onto the belt - a fine masterwork piece, enchanted to be astonishingly sharp and deadly despite the fine giltwork and jeweled pommel it sported. He knew that the various gears and springs that made up his internal framework would allow him to swing the thing around in battle with frightening speed. After that, he donned his helm, and draped a fine cloak on his frame.

For a brief moment he paused, holding his arms akimbo as he waited for Antonina to confirm he was properly attired.

Then he remembered his wife was dead for centuries now, and sighed quietly. Old memories were sometimes painful indeed.

He strode out into the corridor and passed the entrances to the main forges. Automatons worked the bellows, pounding heated metal with hammers, or crafting blades and armor. Overseeing them were the preists, shouting orders. Several of them noticed the Roman, and gave him respectful nods. He made sure to return them. While he was hardly an artisan, and technically wasn't a true believer in the glories of Vulcan, he couldn't help but feel respect for these masters of the craft.

The general approached the lair of the pontifex maximus, the head of the Children of Vulcan. It was a grand hall dominated by a massive bronze statue of the smithing god in a chariot pulled by dragons, crafted by the legendary Cyclopes from glowing hot metals. The doors were covered in brass filigree that depicted various great achievements of the past. The creation of the first mechanical clocks, the invention of the steam engine... a celebration of the endless progress of Mankind.

The general paused, regarding them, and one of his hands went to the old rosary he still kept from long, long ago. He worried at the beads a bit, thinking about how far humanity had come since he was a young boy in the Roman Empire. He wondered how much had changed since the last time he had awakened. Why, just fifty years ago he heard tales of voices being carried over the air, and even a bomb that could destroy an entire city.

The cult, of course, viewed such innovations with suspicion. But the general didn't have their blinders... and with that, he was thankful, even if it always caused the pontifex maximus to view him with just as much suspicion as his old liege had. Thus he could let his curiosity wander.

He shook his head, and pushed open the heavy doors to the throne room of the pontifex maximus. It was a large chamber decorated in the Roman fashion, with a rounded ceiling painted with a mural of Vulcan at his forge. On a dais at the far end sat the pontifex himself, in his familiar stone throne that was decorated with brass filigree showing Vulcan in his workshop, crafting weapons of war for Mars. The man wore elaborate robes in a classical style, embroidered with stars and comets and other symbols of knowledge. His body was half man, half machine, a testament to the accomplishments of his own followers. But his expression was dour, and he leaned forward as the general approached, kneeling down on one knee before his superior.

"My liege. I am here to serve Rome."

"And in doing so, you serve Vulcan, general." The pontiff's tone was sharp and annoyed. He looked haggard and worried, like something unpleasant had just happened. "...stand up."

The general stood up smoothly, and stood at attention as best as he could as he waited for his leader to continue.

"You remember the Great Work, yes?"

He gave a nod. "Yes... to prepare the Forging. It has begun?"

The pontifex maximus snorted. "Not yet... but soon. The Warmonger amasses his forces, while the Pestilent One gnaws at the chains that bind him. All the pieces fall into place... but there are risks. You recall the manufactoriums?"

"Yes, my liege."

"Excellent. One of them risks discovery. A... minor one, but a useful one that has been quite productive. We are still too early in the Great Work to have knowledge of our grand designs leak to the Heathens, let alone the Heretics." His lip curled at the mere thought of the Illuminati.

The general merely stood there, feeling mildly amused. Despite the fact that he fought against the organization that the Children of Vulcan had helped found, he had no specific hatred for them. After all, they shared a common goal, though disagreed on methods. But, eternally, it was all just politics in the end.

The pontiff heaved a sigh, the bellows of his artificial lungs making an audible 'whoosh.' He reached into a sleeve and pulled out a gilded scroll, holding it out to the general. "This is where they are located, a small pocket dimension. You will take command of a contingent of automatons and supervise the evacuation. Most importantly, make sure that there is no evidence that can link us to their operation."

"Will I have allies?"

The pontifex maximus screwed up his face, like he was sucking on a lemon. "Hnh. An Abomination is there - it overthrew a different Abomination that we previously had an arrangement with. Its' name is Dirk. It has gone quite mad, and has begun to destabilize the pocket dimension the manufactorium is nestled within. Heathens have already stumbled upon the manufactorium once and attempted to obtain evidence, though fortunately, this "Dirk" murdered them. But I do suspect that more will return. If you wish, you may attempt to coordinate with the Abomination."

The general nodded, and unrolled the scroll, scanning through the briefing. The mission looked simple enough. He rolled it back up and placed it in a pouch at his belt, used for storing such documents. He said, "Thank you, my liege. I will study this and then leave with haste."

"Very good. Go, Belisarius. Ensure the Great Work proceeds as ordained." The pontiff waved a metal hand, and the last Roman departed.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

REBECCA: What... happened?

NIKE: I'm not... oh. Oh, no.

He turns to you.

NIKE: Josei, you said that Veldrin had an operator's manual, did he not?

You nod, confused.

JOSEI: Yeah? But even that guy couldn't figure out how to work the computer. I doubt a meathead like Dirk could.

NIKE: The chance would be very small, yes, since a mistake would end his life. But...

The pieces fall into place in your head.

JOSEI: Oh. poo poo. The quicksave ring that he has...

NIKE: Exactly. He probably has been brute forcing the manipulation of the AI Director. Press a key, and if the result goes bad, reload. Completely insane, but... it could bear fruit, to a limited extent. The problem is that the ring is LINKED to the AI Director, so if you do something that degrades it, the "quicksave" ability degrades as well. Not to mention that since you all destroyed the computer monitor, well, he's doing it blind too.

He turns, slowly scanning the surroundings. The village looks still and silent.

NIKE: I have to wonder if any of the NPCs are even alive. But... in any case. I suspect this should open up new pathways to reach the factory. If you'd like, we can change up the plan rather than adhering to the cemetary passageway. I'm fairly sure your team could climb down one of those rifts to find a shortcut, yes?

> We have an opportunity to modify the plan. We could even use this unexpected development to try and convince Nike to abandon the whole factory assignment. Because, obviously, if Dirk has tampered with things this badly, shouldn't the whole team focus on him?

USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $374,911
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω4.55

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Forgive me, is it too late to have retroactively called up Ryder and seen if he'd been willing to come along? I thought there was going to be more time before the next post or I would've mentioned it last night.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Forgive me, is it too late to have retroactively called up Ryder and seen if he'd been willing to come along? I thought there was going to be more time before the next post or I would've mentioned it last night.

I am fine with adding in Ryder if someone else seconds it. To come along we'd need to pay him at least a soulmark, I assumed people were being frugal. We're rather low on soulmarks right now.

Technically... we wouldn't have to go back in time too. Josei could just point out that with the new situation, he'd like extra backup.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 21, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
^I'd say go for it. More corpse's for the train wrek.

Edit: Also can Rebecca can connect a pad into the world stone and use it as another monitor? Since she kinda needs it so she can unfuck the simulation (and mess with dirks code)

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 21, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

OK, we'll be reaching out to Ryder. If no one else submits changes to the game plan that will be the main one.

I'll wait to move forward until about 7PM CST, or earlier if there's a clear consensus.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Confess we are driven by a desire to kill dirk, an obsession that he must die by our hands. Ask for help and advice in the light of the new tactical situation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

Confess we are driven by a desire to kill dirk, an obsession that he must die by our hands..

This is still a terrible idea.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

This is still a terrible idea.

If you're voting against making that confession to Dirk, I'll hold until more people weigh in. I notice that multiple regulars haven't given their input yet. I don't want to rush just for the sake of rushing.

EDIT: Since McSpanky confirmed a vote against confessing our growing obsession to NIKE, I'll be waiting for a consensus.

EDIT 2: Oops fixed a typo, I meant Nike. NIKE! Not Dirk. Jesus.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 22, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Indeed I am.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dirk is a malfunctioning robot he doesn't deserve or need to know anything.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

If Dirk is camped out at the keystone, and we can just go to the keystone... why can't we just send 50 pipe bombs to the keystone and blow him up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Aesculus posted:

If Dirk is camped out at the keystone, and we can just go to the keystone... why can't we just send 50 pipe bombs to the keystone and blow him up?

Excellent question. Let's see what Nike says.

JOSEI: Wait a minute. If Dirk is camped out at the keystone... why can't we just drop a bunch of grenades and semtex on him and blow him up?

NIKE: ...I don't even know where to start with that.

JOSEI: What? It's a valid question.

IVAN: I can handle it. Josei, first, we would need to use a LARGE amount of ordnance to guarantee a kill. Second, we'd need to be positive he wouldn't notice the large portal opening up, then vomiting explosives on top of his head. Third, they would need to detonate quickly enough that he does not punt them back through the portal. And finally, I suspect there are humanitarian concerns.

JOSEI: Humanitarian concerns? He's a killer robot!

NIKE: Ivan is correct. Also the humanitarian concerns are not regarding Dirk. It's the fact that setting off that much ordnance would probably destroy the keystone. Which, well, would cause the dimension to collapse, killing all the NPCs.

NIKE: Even setting aside the pocket dimension being destroyed, I really want to save them. Since my mistakes inadverdently created sentient life, it seems wrong to consign them all to oblivion.

NIKE: I'm sorry, but I simply have to veto that plan. I can't stand by it at all.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 22, 2024