Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What about opening up a dozen small portals around the Keystone and pumping cyanide gas into the area for ten minutes, then come in with gas masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Outrail posted:

What about opening up a dozen small portals around the Keystone and pumping cyanide gas into the area for ten minutes, then come in with gas masks.

NIKE: It's an open air area. I doubt it would be effective.

IVAN: I suspect also that even if we used a gas which is heavy enough to stay in place, he would simply notice the toxins and retreat far enough away to make it less effective. Since it is a rooftop area, he might even use ranged weapons, or rain fireballs on us.

NIKE: That, and if we're just busting on in, I wouldn't have a chance to weaken him. Or draw attention away... for all we know, he could have automaton guards that would be immune to gas. Please keep in mind, he's EXPECTING people to just be dropping in, too, and has had time to prepare.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
How about we take over the factory and turn the robot agenst him? That would help...

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

How about we take over the factory and turn the robot agenst him? That would help...

NIKE: Sure, if you can find a way to do that, I'd be more than fine with it.

NIKE: We'd just move forward with my plan of providing a distraction while you all infiltrate the factory, yes?

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Yeah but before that uh could we expect any members from the Cult in the simulation and if we capture them could I get a bounty.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Yeah but before that uh could we expect any members from the Cult in the simulation and if we capture them could I get a bounty.

NIKE: They usually use nothing but automatons in the field, due to their manpower shortages. But... yes, if you manage to capture one of them undamaged, which would be HIGHLY difficult, I wouldn't mind paying something extra. Possibly a dozen soulmarks? That would be quite difficult, though.

NIKE: Really, I'd be fine if you managed to retrieve a broken down one, ALONG with evidence from inside the factory. Photos and the like, and so on and so forth.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Make sure phone is charged. Start recording. Duct tape to shirt.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Make sure phone is charged. Start recording. Duct tape to shirt.

Sounds like a plan. Nobody tell Josei that Rebecca has computerized goggles that also can record stuff. Though admittedly, having a backup is probably a good idea...

Also since other folks haven't weighed in regarding "should we tell Nike about our weird obsession" I'm going to say that both votes cancel each other out. I'll be posting another update before the night is over.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If Rebecca doesn't have a dozen cheap drones with bombs on ready to buzz around can we tell her to get onto that for the next mission.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You stare blankly at the distant castle, contemplating what this means for the upcoming mission. You take a deep breath, and exhale.

JOSEI: Nike, I think we're going to need more help. Or at least my team does. I know you're a magical adventuring juggernaut. but I just have a bad feeling out of this. Can we step away, and take a pause so I can reach out to someone?

Nike blinks, and tilts his head, obviously contemplating what you are suggesting. He then gives a firm nod.

NIKE: Of course - yes, we can step back out so you can do some additional preparation.

You exhale forcefully, feeling a wave of relief. The group of you step back through the portal, and you immediately pull out your phone and dial Ryder's number.

RYDER: Well, if it isn't the devil himself! I was just talking about you.

You pause.

JOSEI: ...what d'you mean?

RYDER: Nothing bad. Just was showing that unicorn horn from that little hunting expedition we had together before. How's it hanging?

JOSEI: About as well as it can be. A lot happened since we last talked. Listen... I know we once talked about you coming along to that simulated dungeon thing...

You explain the entire situation to Ryder. How the initial run went, how Dirk murdered you and your friends. You half expect him to cut in or make a joke, but instead he listens quietly until you finish.

RYDER: Holy hell, Josei. That's... poo poo, that's some heavy stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if you got a really bad case of PTSD goin' on here. You got your head shrunk yet?

JOSEI: What? No. I'm fine. Just trying to keep my eyes on the prize, here. So are you good with coming along?

RYDER: I'm game. I'll just take a soulmark for expenses... and the guy's eye.

JOSEI: Er. What?

RYDER: I want Dirk's eye.

You blink, feeling a bit weirded out. Sure, you want Dirk dead, but his eye? Seriously?

RYDER: I mean, if you're not good with that, I can just go for two soulmarks.

You slooowly look over at Nike, who's casually examining his fingernails as he waits for you all to finish up. He's not looking at you, so maybe he didn't hear Ryder's crazy talk. Then again it's not like you're on speakerphone.

JOSEI: Uh... Nike? Are you good if Ryder takes one of Dirk's eyeballs after we kill him?

NIKE: What? Who's Ryder? Why does he want Dirk's eyeball?

JOSEI: He's that friend of mine I said I wanted to reach out to. He says he's good to go for a small fee as long as he gets one of Dirk's eyes.

Nike stares at you.

NIKE: ...do all of your friends take payment in bodyparts? Do I need to be CONCERNED, here?

Rebecca pipes up.

REBECCA: What, who's wanting an eyeball?

JOSEI: Ryder wants one of Dirk's eyes.

She looks shocked.

REBECCA: That's awful- wait a minute, you're just making that up. There's no way someone like Ryder'd want to take out someone's eye! That's weird, and gross!

You shrug, and put Ryder on speakerphone.

JOSEI: Hey, can you just repeat what it is you want, Ryder? Rebecca doesn't believe you want one of Dirk's eyes.

You can hear him snort.

RYDER: Yeah, Josei's telling the truth. I've got my reasons.

Rebecca's face falls. You can tell that she wasn't expecting her crush to be a bit of a weirdo. Nike, meanwhile, pinches the bridge of his nose. You hear him mutter something about how he misses having to work with a senile wizard and his talking rat.

NIKE: OK. Uh. Ryder? I'm... fine with you taking Dirk's eye. Good heavens...

RYDER: Great! I'll be right over.

While waiting for Ryder to arrive, you and the team make some final checks. You decide to go ahead and try taping your cell phone to your shirt, so you can have an easier time of recording footage. Ivan gives you a weird look, and you shrug.

JOSEI: Didn't feel like buying a Gopro, you know?

You pause.

JOSEI: Rebecca, I just remembered... like, you used that automated truck and stuff before. Would you be able to whip up an army of drones?

Becca snaps out of her quiet sulk.

REBECCA: Well, yeah, if you give me some money for it. Same as with the power armor. Dad asks way more questions when I ask for handouts now after the whole incident happened.

JOSEI: Alright... noted.

Soon enough, you hear the growl of Ryder's motorcycle outside the building, and he saunters in. He looks pretty much the same as last time, though he's wearing an open leather vest rather than the leather jacket he had last time. He gives Rebecca a friendly nod, and then you and Ivan each get a brofist. Then he turns his attention to Nike, who looks the dullahan up and down.

NIKE: Hello again! Nice to meet you?

RYDER: ...I think you're more ripped than I am. Nike, right?

NIKE: Ha! I get that a lot. And yes, my name is Nike, and you must be Ryder. Now, are we all ready to go?

Hearing no objections, he reopens the portal to the pocket plane, and you all step through. Ryder immediately whistles upon seeing the post-apocalyptic fantasy world around you all. He cracks his neck while stretching.

RYDER: Hell yeah, it's about time for me to do some rear end kicking. Are we heading straight to Dirk?

You clear your throat.

JOSEI: We'll actually be breaking away from Nike. He's going to be raising cain, so that we can take care of the factory.

REBECCA: ...what do chicken fingers have to do with our mission?

IVAN: What?

RYDER: It's a fried chicken tender place. But raising cain also refers to starting a ruckus, you know?

REBECCA: I'm just more confused, does Raising Cane's cause a lot of trouble for pe-

JOSEI: ANYWAY, so, uh, Nike, you'll be heading off?

Nike is busy pulling a longsword out of his own bag of holding, along with several scrolls. He looks up as you address him.

NIKE: Hmm? Oh, yes, yes of course. Make sure you head as quickly as you can to the factory, alright? Best of luck to all of you.

He unrolls one scroll, and mutters the words written on it. Suddenly, there is a second Nike. You stare in confusion. Both Nikes chuckle a bit at your expression.

NIKE: It's a spell called simulacrum. I suppose you could say there's a sim in the sim, eh?

The second Nike rubs his chin.

NIKE 2: Careful, Josei, your eyes are getting crossed. You might be seeing double.

You can't help but wince at the bad pun.

JOSEI: Hey, that's my schtick-

NIKE: If it helps, Josei, I might have a spare pair of glasses.

You get a sinking feeling.

JOSEI: Why would I need those.

NIKE 2: Why, so you can make a spectacle out of yourself.

Ryder and Rebecca both laugh, while Ivan gets an expression like he smelled something foul.

IVAN: This is intolerable. I am leaving. Hopefully I will be eaten by a gelatinous cube.

Ivan spins on his heel, and starts heading for the cemetary. Rebecca shrugs and follows, while Ryder chases after them chuckling merrily. You mutter "drat puns" under your breath before joining the rest of the group, and the Nikes split up to begin causing trouble as loudly as they can.

The way to the cemetary isn't too difficult. While the bottomless rifts are more than a little frightening, you manage to quickly navigate around them without a problem. You try to keep a brisk pace. You need to get this whole factory sidequest over and done with as quickly as you possibly can.

Distantly, you hear the sounds of explosions, and when you turn you see what look like fireworks ascending into the air. Nike is clearly taking the whole 'creating a distraction' thing seriously.

The cemetary itself is eerily quiet as you all sneak through it to get to the mausoleum where the entrance to the underground catacombs are located. The rustle of wind blowing through the trees is the only noise that disturbs the stillness of the gravesite... then again, you remember Dirk said long ago that the place is only dangerous at night, when the zombies come out.

As you approach the catacombs, you feel the ground shake, like there's an earthquake. A large rift in the ground has opened up in front of the mausoleum, with only a few feet of clearance, with the area around it littered with dozens of gravestones that have fallen over.

You creep forward, and peer into the rift. It seems to yawn emptily into infinity, you can't see anything at the bottom besides an unearthly red glow. Rebecca comes up beside you and kicks a rock into it, and it falls silently until you can no longer see it.

Ryder edges around the edge of the rift to check out the mausoleum entrance. After a moment, he taps the door with his knuckles, and pushes it open, giving off an ungodly creak.

RYDER: It usually this easy to get in?

You shake your head.

JOSEI: There actually was a stupid sliding tile puzzle originally.

RYDER: Oh... that's what the weird plate on the front was. Didn't seem to do nothing.

You shrug a bit, and the rest of you all follow Ryder into the mausoleum. A part of you feels anxious.

JOSEI: Really hope there isn't a gelatinous cube in here again.

REBECCA: I thought you guys killed all of them?

IVAN: Yes. But it was quite harrowing. Not something any of us would easily forget.

Sure enough, the catacombs are eerily clean like before. It looks like the AI Director wasn't able to restock the skeletons after you all passed through. Now that you have a bag of holding, you decide to collect all their discarded weapons and shove them into it. You never know if they might come in handy.

Navigating the catacombs is a challenge, and that's an understatement. In addition to already being a labyrinth, the earthquakes have caused some passageways to collapse, and the place has obviously reshuffled just like a true roguelike. Happily, Rebecca's computerized goggles allow her to easily map out the corridors so you all avoid doubling back or goign around in circles. Soon enough, you reach the final passageway that leads to Veldrin's castle, and take the detour that leads to the false 'dead end,' which had the maintainance corridor leading to the factory.

Unlike last time, the access hatch is wide open. You narrow your eyes suspiciously... but there aren't any guards. Maybe Nike's whole diversion is actually working? You clear your throat, and speak in a whisper.

JOSEI: Ryder... can you scout a bit? I know you can move pretty quietly when you want to.

He gives a nod, and approaches the hatch quietly. Then he grabs the ladder and climbs up into the maintainance shaft. His voice sounds off in your earpiece.

RYDER: Dead silent. And... uh, I thought you said the corridor's lined with brass?

Rebecca blinks, and cuts in.

REBECCA: Yeah, that was the stuff we thought was cutting off comms. But we can hear you loud and clear.

You frown heavily, and jog over. On a hunch, you climb up as well. Sure enough, Ryder's right. All you see is a bare shaft. There are slight markings on the walls, like rivets or bolts were pulled out of them. On top of that, you don't hear the sound of rushing water anymore.

You look at Ryder, and he looks back at you. Both of you nod, and creep down the now-empty shaft. When you emerge from it, you see that the water treatment plant and gelatinous cube farm is... gone. It's like someone came in with a giant vacuum and sucked it all out into thin air.

The metallic winding staircase is still here, at least, though stripped of its ostentatious brass paneling. That must have been here already. The best you can tell is that this room has returned to its' initial function, some kind of storage area, possibly. You begin to feel almost relieved.

JOSEI: Welp, that was a wash. Time to go rejoin Nike so we can kill Dirk-

Ryder makes a cutting gesture, and shushes you. You blink in confusion. He taps his ear, and points up.

You tilt your head, looking up, and squint as you listen as hard as you possibly can. Distantly... you can hear the sound of footsteps on metal, and the creaking of wheels as something heavy is moved across the ground above you. Your blood runs cold at the realization of what you are hearing.

RYDER: Betcha they're still wrappin' up with evacuating the place. We just barely got here in time.

You contemplate your options. On the one hand, getting soulmarks is nice. On the other... well... Ryder's the only person who came up here with you. It'd be easy enough to just say that you came, saw the place was stripped bare, and then left.

You'd just have to hope that Ryder could keep a secret, of course... but you suspect once he got Dirk's eye, he'd be good.

> Do we count this as doing the 'bare minimum?' We'll be skipping out on a payout if we do...

Character Sheets & Inventory
USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $374,911
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω4.55

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If they're stripping the place, that's less for us to blow up! Get done faster, still get paid, get to Dirk quicker, that's a win-win-win. Keep going.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Keep going.. Have the Shotgun at the ready with alternating loads of Flechette, Slug, Dragon's Breath, Slug, repeat. Good for opening up a tin can enemy, shredding and melting it's insides, or doing even more distressing things to fleshy bads.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Alright. We'll keep on truckin'.

A bigger choice is coming up, let's see what happens. Working on the next update.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Keep going.. Have the Shotgun at the ready with alternating loads of Flechette, Slug, Dragon's Breath, Slug, repeat. Good for opening up a tin can enemy, shredding and melting it's insides, or doing even more distressing things to fleshy bads.

McSpanky posted:

If they're stripping the place, that's less for us to blow up! Get done faster, still get paid, get to Dirk quicker, that's a win-win-win. Keep going.

You contemplate the situation, and decide that you can't just turn back now. Instead, you turn and head back down the ladder so you're face to face with the whole team.

IVAN: What is the situation?

JOSEI: The place is getting evacuated. Not 100% yet, though. But with that... I'm thinking we can grab some more evidence, and blow the stuff up.

IVAN: Hm. Very well. We should probably prepare for a battle.

You nod, and take a moment to fish your Soul-Speed Sneakers out of your bag. Ryder snorts on seeing you change out your shoes.

RYDER: What, the other ones weren't fashionable?

JOSEI: No - these are magical, actually. Here, lemme show you.

You take a moment to focus, and rocket down the hallway at ludicrous speed. You can feel the sneakers heat up slightly as they rapidly charge up and then discharge their energy. You manage to skid to a stop, and rocket back to the group. There's a whoosh of air as you nearly topple over yourself, and Rebecca just manages to catch you.

REBECCA: Woah! Yikes. Be careful, please! Those don't seem entirely safe.

You dust yourself off, harrumphing.

JOSEI: I practiced extensively with them, I'll be fine.

That done, you also slip on the anti-slashing weapons ring, and also pull out the combat shotgun. You carefully load it up with a variety of rounds. Solid slugs, flechettes, even a few dragon's breath rounds. You figure that unpredictability will be an advantage in the upcoming fight.

With that done, your entire crew heads up the ladder. Ivan grunts in surprise when he notices how the place has been stripped of everything.

IVAN: You weren't kidding. These cultists have been busy.

JOSEI: Yeah. I guess they decided that the whole mini-apocalypse thing wasn't something they wanted to hang around for. Anyway, everyone try and stay as quiet as possible.

The group of you head for the long stairwell, that as you recall, led up to the huge boiler room. The sounds of footsteps, and wheels squeaking gets louder, along with the constant hiss of the boiler. The tone of it sounds... different. Almost like the whistling of a tea kettle.

When you all are near the top, you cautiously poke your head up out of the stairwell, just barely into the boiler room. The place is a hive of activity. The arcane emission-negating brass has been pried off the walls, exposing more of the stone of the original subterrenean tunnels. A large portal is on one wall, and you see lumbering, steam-powered automatons pushing huge carts of goods through it. The machines seem to be unarmed, and are quite singlemindedly going about their duty of hauling crates. They do not react to your presence at all.

Out of curiosity, you reach for a fallen bolt, and throw it hard against the boiler. There's a loud CLANG. The automatons pause, briefly, then continue their work as if nothing had happened. You look back at Ivan, and jerk your head upwards towards the factory floor. He nods and gives you a thumbs up, and you slowly creep up onto it.

PERCEPTION ROLL: 12 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 13 VS DC 16. FAILURE.

You stand there, fairly well exposed, and do a quick 360 as you prepare to dive back down the stairs. The men made of brass and steel continue their plodding paces, showing no sign that they even noticed you are there at all.

INSIGHT ROLL: 7 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 8 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

You shrug. It appears that the Children of Vulcan are completely distracted by Nike's actions on the surface. Things are moving just as planned. You gesture for the rest of the party to join you, and start your phone up so it records plenty of footage. Ivan wordlessly points at your bag of holding, and you hand it to him. He begins pulling the Semtex and detonation cord out of it so that he can rig up more bombs, and Rebecca kneels next to him so she can assist him. Ryder meanwhile stares at the automatons, obviously entranced by them.

Meanwhile, you stare up at the boiler, and notice that it is indeed the source of the whistling. It appears that most of the steam outlets have been shut... probably because the entire factory is being disassembled and taken away. Several gauges are hovering in the yellow, and a few are inching up towards the red. You shrug again, figuring that that will just help ensure a bigger explosion once the explosives go off. In the firebox, you can see the fire elementals restlessly pacing back and forth.

While they work, you sling the shotgun over your back. Then you turn and start helping yourself to the contents of one of the slow-moving carts. Partly to get souvenirs, but also to get some evidence of the Children of Vulcan's meddling. You pick up a few cogs and gears, a large pressure gauge, and-

???: HALT!

The group of you jump when suddenly, ever single steam-powered automaton drops to the floor in perfect synchronization with an almighty clatter. From each of the multiple entrances appears a squad of combat automatons. They look quite different from the simple steam-powered laborers. Rather than being bulky and slow, they are spindly and quick as they hustle into position, while holding large rifles pointed right at your group. Each of them is engraved with a number on its helmet and chest-piece, though whether it's for identification purposes or some kind of rank is a mystery. The style of their armor rings a very faint bell... but you're not sure from where.

Stepping to the forefront is an automaton who has a particularly ornate set of armor. It's layered, almost Romanesque with various patterns, and an engraving of Vulcan's symbol inlaid in brass on his breastplate. It has a helmet with a crest of sorts, which looks somewhat like a horse's mane. He also has a cape, though the symbols on that do not resemble Vulcanite iconography at all. Instead, there are patterns with an eagle holding a seal with SPQR written upon it, and a number of flat-looking illustrations that put you in mind of a stained-glass window showing heroes of old. Ivan stares at those with a strange intensity.

The automaton holds up a hand. He speaks with an accent that is similar to one you remember hearing somewhere in the Balkans...

???: Please, make no sudden movements. While I wish to parlay, I shall not hesitate in ordering my men to strike.

You look at your friends, and shrug, putting your hands up. You feel confident that your Soul-Speed Sneakers give you the advantage. Besides, if they wanted to kill you all, they would have come in shooting.

JOSEI: Nice welcoming party.

BELISARIUS: Thank you, we try our best. I am Belisarius, general in the service of Rome. And you, my friend, are named Josei Joko. Do I have that right?

You give a slow nod, feeling unsurprised. You suspect Dirk gave a full accounting of who you were before dying and resetting again. Belisarius gives a nod in return, and spreads his arms, pointing out the factory around him.

BELISARIUS: My liege has given me orders to evacuate this place, to remove any trace of our existence here. But I suspected that one as... astute as yourself, would attempt to return to gather the things that were taken from you. Including your evidence.

BELISARIUS: You do realize, I cannot allow you to leave with that which you've recovered. But I do not intend to force you all to leave empty handed.

Ivan's eyes have gotten huge. He seems to have spent the past minute just processing what Belisarius said.

IVAN: Did you say... Belisarius?

BELISARIUS: That I did.

IVAN: The... the last Roman? One of the greatest generals who ever lived?

BELISARIUS: Likewise. Who exactly are you?

IVAN: I... I am Ivan Albegov. A former officer in the Russian military. I... once went to seminary, though that did not work out, and while there I studied history...

JOSEI: Uh... OK, I'm out of the loop.

RYDER: Same, I'm afraid.

REBECCA: Wait - Belisarius. That was a Byzantine Empire general dude, I think! I watched a YouTube documentary about him.

Ivan snorts.

IVAN: Technically, they did not call themselves the Byzantine Empire... that was a term invented by later historians.

BELISARIUS: Indeed. For myself, it shall always remain the Roman Empire... until it was extinguished in the dark year of 1453.

JOSEI: OK, uh, the history lesson is great and all, but... um... Belisarius? Why aren't you firing on us?

Belisarius gives a chuckle that is oddly warm. He jerks his head and shouts a command, and all of his automaton soldiers lower their rifles. One produces a bundle that is wrapped tightly. You blink a bit. You recognize it as the clothes you were wearing, when Dirk murdered you.

BELISARIUS: Like I said... I do have my orders. But they do not speak about killing a man named Josei Joko, or his allies. All they care for is the safeguarding of the Children of Vulcan's little secret here. Catch, Josei.

He pauses.

BELISARIUS: And fear not, this is not a trick.

The soldier gently tosses the bundle towards you, and you catch it. Pinned to the top are two brooches, the ones that Athena and Odin gave you.

ATHENA: Josei! You did it! You found my boon.

ODIN: Ah... there you are, my lad! And what a situation you have found yourself in...

ATHENA: Shut up, old man, nobody cares about you.

ODIN: Ha... and yet, he will still accept my boon as well, won't he.

ATHENA: Ugh. Anyway, let's see... it appears that they have stripped the barrier that prevented me from speaking to you. Interesting. And... Wait... is that...

As Athena trails off, you notice Belisarius staring at you. It's difficult to tell, but he almost seems... amused?

JOSEI: What.

BELISARIUS: I didn't recognize the raven one. But that owl brooch... fine piece, isn't it?

JOSEI: ...wait a minute, did you...?

Athena's voice becomes subdued and thoughtful.

ATHENA: Yes. He was one of my champions. Long, long ago. But he... died...

BELISARIUS: I can still hear her... she's speaking to you, isn't she? I always vexed her, with my steadfast devotion to God and Christ while still accepting her boons. I am sure you find other ways to frustrate grey-eyed Athena.

BELISARIUS: Go ahead and open the bundle. I have some other things in there for you.

In a daze, you unwrap the bundle. You find your cold iron assegai, the two rings that you had purchased... all of your belongings.

YOU HAVE GAINED THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
A pack of cigarettes. The brand is unfamiliar, 'Vox Illuminata.'
A lovely revolver.
A cold iron assegai, enchanted to magically return to your hand.
An owl brooch that Athena gave you, so she can whisper insults inside your brain.
Magical Amulet of Paralysis, usable once per day.
Raven shaped brooch that is blessed by Odin, giving you benefits to your wisdom.
A ring that allows the wearer to breathe even the foulest of air, it has a blue sapphire set in it.
A ring that allows the wearer to withstand extreme heat, it has a red ruby set in it.
Basic camping gear.
An LED lantern.
Two healing potions.

PERK REACTIVATED - NORTHERN WHISPER

BELISARIUS: We have a few other things as well.

Two more soldiers toss other bundles, and both you and Ivan narrowly catch them. The additional one you caught looks like Kiara's clothing, guitar, and the uzi she usually used as her weapon of choice. Ivan, meanwhile, unwraps his old Mosin-Nagant, along with a combat knife, first aid kit, and a few other items.

YOU HAVE GAINED THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
Kiara's guitar, named Mortis
A submachine gun.

BELISARIUS: I assure you, I have no love for the lunatic barbarian named Dirk. He is... a monster. With that in mind, it seemed hardly fitting to leave these priceless belongings with him. He'd probably have burned them, or thrown them away.

BELISARIUS: You all, I am sure, are civilized people. As I mentioned... my mission is to recover all that was held here, and to wipe away all traces.

BELISARIUS: If you would but return the items you have stolen from my liege, and also give me that-

He gestures at your cell phone.

BELISARIUS: -recording device that you have, we can part way amicably. I assure you, on my honor, we would not harm you if you agree to these conditions. We would even happily guide you to a suitable exit so you can rejoin your friend on the surface as quickly as possible.

JOSEI: ...and if we refuse?

He sighs lightly.

BELISARIUS: If you were stubborn enough to refuse, myself and my men would disarm you all, and relieve you of the evidence you have collected.

JOSEI: What, you wouldn't kill us?

BELISARIUS: Faith is dead in this day and age... but not honor. Though I know it may seem strange, I see little benefit to causing the needless effusion of blood. You are clearly outnumbered. Yes, you may cause injuries... but these metal men and myself are built to withstand brutal damage.

BELISARIUS: There is no reason to murder you all senselessly when we can resolve things otherwise. I am no butcher. Especially not of another one chosen by Athena herself.

ATHENA: Belisarius... is telling the truth. He's a good man, Josei, and rivaled Odysseus as one of my favorites.

ATHENA: I have no advice to give. It would pain me to see you hurt him, but on the other hand, he is bound by a terrible purpose...

ODIN: In that case, I will step in, my lad. I think he would be dreadfully surprised if you closed the distance in a few seconds and speared his head with your assegai, eh?

BELISARIUS: If you are uncertain, you are free to consult with your friends, or ask me questions. I cannot answer them all, but I can do my best.

Ivan leans in, and whispers in your ear.

IVAN: He is stalling. The longer we take, the more time his forces have to finish the evacuation.

Sure enough, during the conversation, the laborers have ponderously stood back up, and are continuing to usher the disassembled factory equipment through the portal.

> This is not a binary choice, but it would be quite difficult to convince Belisarius of a third option... now what?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 23, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Before you wipe away the data on the phone Convince BELISARIUS to lend some of his machines to fight the barbarian.

If Nike asks Rebecca found and hacked them

Also what's the purpose of this whole exercise. Why did you're masters give sentence to things that are ment to be playthings of mortals? It seems purposely cruel

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 22, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
This is a fight we can't win, agree and let them go.

Rebecca's goggles are recording everything, we've got the evidence we need.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Before you wipe away the data on the phone Convince BELISARIUS to lend some of his machines to fight the barbarian.

If Nike asks Rebecca found and hacked them

Also what's the purpose of this whole exercise. Why did you're masters give sentence to things that are ment to be playthings of mortals? It seems purposely cruel

Outrail posted:

This is a fight we can't win, agree and let them go.

Rebecca's goggles are recording everything, we've got the evidence we need.

JOSEI: ...well, if we both agree that Dirk is a barbarian, surely you'd be willing to lend some help to kill him? We could just claim some of your automatons were hacked.

Belisarius seems amused by this notion, and chuckles.

BELISARIUS: Clever. And of course, then you could present them as evidence of my liege's interference.

BELISARIUS: No, I'm afraid that you will be on your own with resolving the Dirk situation. Though I am confident that your team has the expertise to off him!

JOSEI: I have to ask... why did you all purposefully give sentience to the things that were meant to be the playthings of mortals, like Dirk and Veldrin? That seems needlessly cruel.

Belisarius shrugs.

BELISARIUS: The answer is simple. We had nothing to do with that. We took advantage of the situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

You drum your fingers on the smartphone duct taped to your outfit, making sure to not glance at Rebecca. You remember that her goggles are secretly recording everything... and while Belisarius seems a clever sort, he hasn't paid much attention to her.

You suspect that you could bluff your way out of this with her footage. That wouldn't be as good as leaving with physical evidence, but it might be good enough for Nike's needs, right? And even if Belisarius and his men hold back from killing you and your team, you really don't want to get bones broken and the like.

ODIN: But on the other hand, you will be missing out on a splendid battle. He is arrogant, lad, thanks to his long years and superior body. If you move quickly enough... why, this wouldn't even be a fair fight, since he's doing this with one hand tied behind his back.

ODIN: Though that doesn't mean I would judge you for being unmanly if you decide against it - that would make me a damned hypocrite, as my own use of the arcane is often judged as such in Asgard.

ODIN: Just don't tell Thor. The boy would be endlessly disappointed.

> If a consensus builds around bluffing our way out and escaping with Rebecca's footage, that is a valid option.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Yes the catacombs full of brass the first time we gone there indicates that you guys really took advantage of the situation...

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 23, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We're not bluffing about anything, we're just not telling him something he doesn't have a clue about. Tell him that's fine and move on, killing Dirk is the focus and we've just got our green light. We're not going to be able to beat a room full of armed robots and a two thousand year old Warrior wearing a robot exoskeleton/exoskeleton.

Literally say 'Fine, we can't win this one. Let's go kill Dirk and walk away from him.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 23, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Outrail posted:

We're not bluffing about anything, we're just not telling him something he doesn't have a clue about. Tell him that's fine and move on, killing Dirk is the focus and we've just got our green light. We're not going to be able to beat a room full of armed robots and a two thousand year old Warrior wearing a robot exoskeleton/exoskeleton.

Literally say 'Fine, we can't win this one. Let's go kill Dirk and walk away from him.

I don't want to get too meta, but I'll just note that we will still need to do a diplomacy check if we go with this. That's why I referenced bluffing. Though in the end, Josei does pretty drat good with diplomacy checks considering he gets a +5, so...

I'll wait until morning to make sure the players in general are in alignment.

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Yes the catacombs full of brass the first time we gone there indicates that you guys really took advantage of the situation...

BELISARIUS: Indeed. It was a quid pro quo, per my understanding. Veldrin wanted a way out... we helped provide him tools towards finding that, in exchange for a secure place to construct a manufactorium.

BELISARIUS: You must understand, though, I was not involved with said construction. My role is strictly with this... clean-up operation, if you will.

He gives a metallic sounding laugh.

BELISARIUS: In the end, I am always the one called in when there is a mess, or a matter of great importance to resolve. Or both.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 23, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Plan let him think he's won whilst we record everything via something he hasn't accounted for, let's go kill Dirk

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The sneakers give us incredible speed but not incredible reaction time, we aren't the Flash here. Blitzing Belisarius would be a great opening move but as our demonstration in an empty, straight hallway showed, we really need more practice maneuvering in enclosed spaces and close quarters. Tripping over a loose bolt or taking a magic musket shot in the back while reorienting would be a bad day.

Besides, accepting Belisarius' terms gets us out of here as fast as possible.

Agree without further delay.

When it comes up with Nike later, we can honestly say Belisarius got the drop on us and we decided that discretion was the better part of valor, then give him Rebecca's goggle footage as a consolation prize.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Let Belisarius know how you really really hate Dirk and that you only go on this mission because you want a chance to make him suffer. But since the inflation part of the plan is a bust well it's an excuse to to fight him head on.

"Honestly" the only reason you want to sneak in, is to access the world stone to mess with Dirk

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 23, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Plan let him think he's won whilst we record everything via something he hasn't accounted for, let's go kill Dirk

McSpanky posted:

The sneakers give us incredible speed but not incredible reaction time, we aren't the Flash here. Blitzing Belisarius would be a great opening move but as our demonstration in an empty, straight hallway showed, we really need more practice maneuvering in enclosed spaces and close quarters. Tripping over a loose bolt or taking a magic musket shot in the back while reorienting would be a bad day.

Besides, accepting Belisarius' terms gets us out of here as fast as possible.

Agree without further delay.

When it comes up with Nike later, we can honestly say Belisarius got the drop on us and we decided that discretion was the better part of valor, then give him Rebecca's goggle footage as a consolation prize.

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Let Belisarius know how you really really hate Dirk and that you only go on this mission because you want a chance to make him suffer. But since the inflation part of the plan is a bust well it's an excuse to to fight him head on.

"Honestly" the only reason you want to sneak in, is to access the world stone to mess with Dirk

Outrail posted:

You hold up your hands.

JOSEI: Belisarius, I accept your terms. We're really here to kill Dirk, this isn't even our main objective.

BELISARIUS: Excellent.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 11 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 16 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

You do a masterful job of appearing grave and calm as he approaches the team. He says a few words in Greek, and the automatons all lower their guns entirely. The soldiers relieve you of the random bits and bobs you had collected, along with your cell phone. They also take a moment to pat down the members of your party.

As the soldiers work, Belisarius walks back and forth, watching them work. Ivan and Ryder are both calm, and even seem a bit amused. Ryder is apparently carrying an old-style flip phone, and the automaton general orders that to be seized.

REBECCA - DIPLOMACY ROLL: 1 VS DC 12. FAILURE.

Rebecca, however, is a different story. She isn't carrying a phone, which causes some mild consternation for the automatons. You notice her eyes are a bit wide as the augmented general approaches, and is turning white as a sheet. You realize one flaw with your plan... she is not very good at this sort of thing.

Belisarius steps up to her and looks her up and down.

BELISARIUS: Why so nervous, young lady?

REBECCA: U-uh, just.. you guys are very, um, frightening.

You clear your throat to intervene.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 4 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 9 VS DC 18. FAILURE.

JOSEI: Belisarius... you must understand, she is new to-

Belisarius holds up a hand.

BELISARIUS: Josei, quiet, please.

His tone is firm with you... yet turns gentle as he speaks to Rebecca.

BELISARIUS: Young lady... what is your name?

REBECCA: Um... R-Rebecca DeVir...

He nods a bit upon hearing that name, then taps his chin with a metallic tink-tink-tink as he ponders it for a few seconds.

BELISARIUS: Ah. The name of the mother of Jacob and Esau. A very storied name.

She shakes her head a bit, obviously not recognizing the reference.

BELISARIUS: The godlessness of the people these days...

BELISARIUS - PERCEPTION ROLL: 15 +2 PERK BONUS (AUTOMATON) = 17 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

He sighs, and points at her goggles.

BELISARIUS: Tell me. Why do your goggles flicker so?

You again attempt to intervene.

JOSEI: Belisarius, this bullying is-

Again the automaton-man cuts you off.

BELISARIUS: Allow the girl to speak, Josei. Rebecca?

Rebecca nervously swallows.

REBECCA: I have... very bad eyesight. These are made to help e-enhance it... I was b-born almost blind.

She sniffs, and takes off her goggles to show them to Belisarius.

REBECCA: Here, sir, you can see how they magnify things... I, I'm sorry if it- if it made you angry...

REBECCA - DIPLOMACY ROLL: 12 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

Her eyes tear up, and she begins crying. Belisarius pauses for a moment, then his posture softens. He hands them back to her, and gently rests a hand on her shoulder.

BELISARIUS: No need for tears, child. I simply must fulfill my orders. You will be fine.

She nods, sniffing, and he gives her a gentle pat before turning to his men. After a moment inspecting what they have recovered, the mechanical general claps his hands and turns to you.

BELISARIUS: All is as it should be. Thank you, Josei. You prevented a needless conflict. I will have my soldiers conduct you back to the surface.

JOSEI: No demands for us to speak nothing of what we saw?

He shrugs.

BELISARIUS: Speak all you wish. With no concrete proof, it means little.

He gestures, and issues a few more commands. Four of the guards peel off to flank your team.

BELISARIUS: Now, go and rejoin... what is his name. Nike? Ha, he is causing such mischief for that barbarian up there. Good luck with eliminating him.

ATHENA: You managed to fool one of my former champions. I am... not sure how to feel about this.

The guards take you through the factory, and escort you past the water treatment plant, which is empty and dark now. They also go past the gelatinous cube farm, though now it's just an empty stone corridor with only a few remaining patches of slime here and there. You can't help but be impressed by the industriousness of the Children of Vulcan. Soon enough, you all reach a plain-looking industrial lift with the Famous Adventurers logo on it. They gesture for you to get on, and point at the top button on the lift, leading to the surface.

The group of you assemble, and you press the button. As the lift ascends, you notice Rebecca is standing there, futzing with her goggles. You approach her.

JOSEI: You okay?

She pauses, and looks confused, and then giggles.

REBECCA: Oh, um, the crying wasn't real, silly. I learned how to do that to trick my dad. It was like an instant on-off thing, y'know?

JOSEI: Then why did you look so nervous?

REBECCA: Because they're super creepy! I thought they'd see my goggles recording and kill me. Then I realized that Belisarius is a big softy, so... yeah.

You can't help but be proud of Rebecca. You decide against saying that you were pretty sure she was going to blow the whole operation, and instead, give her a friendly squeeze on the shoulder.

JOSEI: You did awesome. Anyway, how's the footage?

Rebecca grins.

REBECCA: It's stellar. I got all of the stuff of him talking about their evil plans and everything, too!

IVAN: They did not seem overtly evil.

REBECCA: The stuff these guys contributed to killing people.

IVAN: And? It was not done out of malice.

REBECCA: ...and that makes it better???

The young inventor stares at Ivan with an expression of pure incredulity.

REBECCA: Holy crap, man, they admitted to their involvement in this huge mess! Like, there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

IVAN: So? It was done as a transaction.

Rebecca puffs her cheeks out, and just turns away from the Russian veteran. You clear your throat as the lift comes to a halt at the surface level of the simulation, and you all pile out. Apparently, you've emerged at the foot of Veldrin's castle, Nocturna Silvarum. It looks... well, to put it bluntly, hosed up. Segments of it float in mid-air, and one of the huge rifts cuts the entire castle in two. Meanwhile, a pillar of unnatural, pulsing red light climbs to the heavens.

LUCK ROLL: 1 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 2 VS DC 10. FAILURE.

ATHENA: Josei. He's here. TURN AROUND!

You feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end as you spin on your feet. Dirk is standing there. He looks both the same as before, yet completely different. He's spattered with blood, and his hair is messy. His eyes seem to stare through you, rather than at you, and his lips are curled up into a permanent smile. One of his hands is holding a huge sword... it's dripping with blood. Did he kill Nike?

PERCEPTION ROLL: 18 +1 PERK BONUS (LUCK) = 19 VS DC 8. SUCCESS!

Then you notice something. The blood on his body is not just that of others... he's injured as well, you can see the wounds. You suspect he was heading back to the castle to patch himself up. You doubt he'd be scurrying back to the place if Nike was dead.

DIRK: Why, if it isn't my best friend, Josei Joko! And you've brought company!

The ring on his finger glows a baleful red, like the light of a dying star. You doubt your team can kill Dirk... but at least, with him wounded, you could buy enough time for Nike to save your lives.

> Submit suggestions for how to survive the coming fight. Josei will create a battle plan from them.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Welp, poo poo.

"Look! Over there! A distraction!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Taint Dirk into attacking/following you and give the rest of the team time to escape. Yell something like 'you keep this dumbass busy while I disable the machine' to make him chase, and use the sneakers to stay just ahead of him til they're safe, then speed up.

Fire tear gas grenades at the ceiling behind us if it's feasible.

If that doesn't work we're basically forced into glorious melee.

E: Bit of a typo there, but whatever works I guess.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Tell Ivan we need to execute a fighting withdrawal, offer him one of the Supersoakers and suggest he distribute the masks. Everyone gets some boom booms for pushing Dirk back. If possible, get out the Illuminati Cheat Gun and hand it to Becca for immediate use. We can have Becca unlock it later if need be. Offer shotgun to Ryder, hurl a brick of C4 or whatever at Dirk to gently caress up the area immediately around him, proceed to repeatedly run away then back to zoomy throw the Assegai like we did with Athena for distracting while pams get set. Deity Pals, any thoughts?

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 23, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Running about like an rear end in a top hat with slashing resistance might be a cleverdumb move

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Slashing resistance against nonmagical stuff IIRC. No way Dirk's sword isn't magical.

Also.

OK Google, Call Nike on video chat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Whatever we do, Becca needs to be as far from danger as we can keep her. If her goggles/gear gets damaged we may lose the footage, but also she's not yet got the contract with Sami in place so her dying may be a lot more of a problem than us.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Tell Ivan we need to execute a fighting withdrawal, offer him one of the Supersoakers and suggest he distribute the masks. Everyone gets some boom booms for pushing Dirk back. If possible, get out the Illuminati Cheat Gun and hand it to Becca for immediate use. We can have Becca unlock it later if need be. Offer shotgun to Ryder, hurl a brick of C4 or whatever at Dirk to gently caress up the area immediately around him, proceed to repeatedly run away then back to zoomy throw the Assegai like we did with Athena for distracting while pams get set. Deity Pals, any thoughts?

I will use the excuse of Athena being inside Josei's head, to some extent, to explain her being able to provide feedback in between ticks of the clock.

ATHENA: I'd like to remind you that Rebecca is a pacifist. Even if she agrees that Dirk is a terrible person, she'd probably have issues pulling the trigger. Then again, the gun aims itself and has homing ammunition, so... it might work.

ATHENA: Also friendly reminder that when you used that trick with the assegai on me, you created a large crater. I'm assuming you don't want to vaporize your friends. Just a thought.

Also next update will be this evening to allow folks to share plenty of input.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lure Dirk outside with challenge of a duel. Then vaporize him

After the reset we can use Val to reset every 10 mins or however long it takes Dirk to get back to the stone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Do we have time to do any meaningful prep like pass out weapons and/or communicate a tactical plan, or is this more of a "shout frantically while everyone opens fire with whatever they've got handy" situation?

Outrail posted:

Lure Dirk outside with challenge of a duel. Then vaporize him

After the reset we can use Val to reset every 10 mins or however long it takes Dirk to get back to the stone.

Dirk somehow reset his own default location to the castle, he'll be on us like white on rice once he realizes what's happening.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Do we have time to do any meaningful prep like pass out weapons and/or communicate a tactical plan, or is this more of a "shout frantically while everyone opens fire with whatever they've got handy" situation?

Dirk somehow reset his own default location to the castle, he'll be on us like white on rice once he realizes what's happening.

We can delay by getting Dirk to monologue. Josei is pretty sure that he could stall for time by doing that. Maybe even hand the bag of holding subtly over to Ryder, or Ivan, etc.

The problem is that if Josei is having a conversation he would have to be giving orders VERY quietly using his earpiece. It's possible... it just will be challenging.

Also it might have been missed - Dirk's default location hasn't been permanently reset. He just was resetting from within the restricted area where the keystone is held, so the AI director wasn't able to reposition him. It's a safety measure to keep someone doing something dumb like using the AI Director/keystone to move the AI Director somewhere else. Sort of like how the AI Director can't see into its' own holding area.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blasphemaster posted:

OK Google, Call Nike on video chat.

Belisarius took our phones, though we still have our earpieces.

JessAlias posted:

Also it might have been missed - Dirk's default location hasn't been permanently reset. He just was resetting from within the restricted area where the keystone is held, so the AI director wasn't able to reposition him. It's a safety measure to keep someone doing something dumb like using the AI Director/keystone to move the AI Director somewhere else. Sort of like how the AI Director can't see into its' own holding area.

Aha, gotcha.

Try to get Dirk caught in a monologue, then quietly order Rebecca to start blasting him with her stasis gun as soon as we run. Then throw our assegai and just as it's about to connect, blitz past him and hit the amulet just as we're in range.

Hopefully the combination of the amulet and her stasis gun will overcome his resistances and slow him down if not completely stop him, and the assegai fakeout will distract him enough to keep from instantly flattening us with that drat bullet-time reaction speed of his. Whatever happens next will depend on if it works or not.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 23, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Get the ring off him by any means necessary. Assegai attack as on Athena but not as far or as fast. Try to keep the obliteration down to him alone. Perhaps snipe his hand with the mystical bullshit gun.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

OK. Looks like we have a game plan.

Working on an update.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Kite Dirk outside, explode Dirk or K to reset and buy some time, then put his reset location approximately 1.8km below ground.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

OPTIONAL MOOD MUSIC: Giant Hunter

You raise up a hand, pasting a smile on your face.

JOSEI: Dirk! Long time no see. How's it going?

Dirk stares at you with his unblinking blue eyes for a few moments.

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 8 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 13 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

> DIRK: SURELY ALL MUST KNOW YOUR TALE OF WOE!

DIRK: Terribly, Josei! Ever since this whole damned mess started, I haven't been able to get a decent night's sleep. Especially with how you all played a rather nasty trick on me, siding with that BASTARD Veldrin.

He steps towards you, going nose to nose with you, and you can feel him tense up as he stares into your eyes with an expression of unadulterated fury.

DIRK: If you hadn't interfered, everything would be as it should be! Veldrin would be contained, the eternal cycle would continue - but no! Instead, you left, and corrupted my own creator -

His eye twitches.

DIRK: - to want to destroy ME. ME!

JOSEI: Corrupted your creator? How did you figure that out? Please enlighten my tiny brain.

As you make sure to stare with manufactured awe and a slight amount of terror at Dirk the Jerk, you very carefully loosen the bag of holding from your belt. Ivan quietly catches it.

DIRK: AHAHA! Yes. YES! It was... so simple. You see, I attempted to divine the secrets of the keystone using that manual you so THOUGHTFULLY left behind.

> DIRK: DIRK: DIRK: DIRK: DIRK: Dirk. Dirk?

DIRK: But each time I made an, an ATTEMPT at unraveling its' secrets, the keystone destabilized. Obviously to, to, to sabotage my attempts to repair the damage you had fiendishly done! And I-I-I-I-

His head twitches unnaturally. You are starting to get the sense that something is incredibly wrong with him. On the one hand, this might mean he will be easier to fight. On the other, it might make him even more dangerous. You can feel the adrenaline start to flow in your veins as Dirk finally snaps out of whatever loop he had fallen into.

DIRK: -I did things, such things to try to fix the damage! So much blood! But it's fine, Josei.

He leans in further, his stinking breath hot against your skin as he hisses in your ear.

DIRK: After I kill everyone, and you, and Nike, then everything will reset. And it will be fine. It will all be NORMAL. Elara will play her proper role, as will the villagers, as will the Dark Lord. AND IT WILL BE PERFECT.

DIRK: But there is one thing I must know. WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO IT, JOSEI?!

You do your utmost to not have your gaze waver from his maddened eyes. The pupils are contracted to pinpricks. You can hear the rustle of cloth as your compatriots dole out various supplies from the Bag of Holding.

JOSEI: Uh... surely one as intelligent as you can figure it out, yes?

DIPLOMACY ROLL: 17 +5 PERK BONUS (LUCK, DIPLOMACY) = 22 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

> Dirk: UNRAVEL THE ENIGMA.

Dirk reddens in fury, but then leans back and spins on his heels, pacing. He appears lost in thought as he starts muttering to himself. A part of you feels tempted to try to strike a blow... but you know he has insanely fast reactions. The moment you try to attack, he will counterattack.

Instead, you begin surreptitiously loosening up for the fight ahead. Your grip shifts on your assegai as your eyes focus on Dirk, but you're careful not to appear like you're about to strike him. In a low voice, you speak through the earpiece to your team-mates as the lunatic automaton speaks to nobody in particular.

JOSEI: Ryder, you take the shotgun. Becca, nail him with the stasis gun, then retreat as quickly as you can. I'm gonna try to blitz him. Ivan, use explosives as necessary. We gotta hold out as long as possible until Nike-

Dirk's head snaps up as you say the name.

DIRK: Nike? NIKE? NIIIIIIKE!?

He rubs his face, laughing.

DIRK: ITS OBVIOUS! HE'S A CLONE! A CLONE OF MY OWN! HE NEVER CREATED ME! I CREATED HIM, AND HE WANTS TO KILL ME TO TAKE MY PLACE! But I'll kill him first!

Then he blinks, seeming to finally register that you all are still standing here. He turns and screams at... nobody? Maybe he thinks he has invisible allies. Who knows?

> DIRK: ORDER THE LEGIONNAIRES TO ATTACK! VICTORY!!!!!

DIRK: WHAT ARE YOU ALL STILL DOING STANDING HERE? Kill them!

The mechanical madman draws his flaming sword, and leaps at you. Rebecca immediately pulls the trigger on her stasis gun, freezing him in place for a moment as you begin running, using your Soul-Speed Sneakers to accelerate to absurd speeds.

As you try to close the distance to (maybe) cut the ring off his finger, the blasted thing shines an awful, bright red light, and there is a sense of discontinuity. Distantly, you see the pillar of light from the keystone pulsate.

Activating auto-twenties. Please select a twenty.
COMBAT ROLL: 20

> Dieroll selected: 20 20 20 20 20 20.
EXCEPTION: PHYSICS ENGINE ERROR. PLEASE REINSTALL UNIVERSE AND REBOOT.

While Dirk unfreezes, your trajectory is suddenly altered as you find yourself floating upwards. You hurtle towards the cloudy sky and hit it, or rather, slam into the barrier that imposes the limits of the simulation on reality. It hurts. A lot. You get the wind knocked out of you for a second as you push yourself away from it. You're really far away. Distantly you can see the figures of Dirk and the rest of your party flailing in mid-air. It seems that the "hero" is dealing just as badly with the fact that there's no gravity as you are.

You hear the distant bark of a shotgun, and -

Activating auto-twenties. Please select a twenty.

> Dieroll selected: IF = { RING = 20 } THEN = { DIRK(DODGE) = 9999999999999999999999999 }
WARNING: OBJECT CLASS INVALID WEAPON =/= NPC? ERROR CODE: 393. #If you're seeing this error, please halt the simulation immediately and contact the support department. ~Thank You~

- you notice that your assegai suddenly sprouts a strange cavity on its surface. After a brief moment, you realize it is a mouth. There's a contemplative period as you almost feel like it's regarding you, as you regard it.

ASSEGAI: ...if you think this is awkward, imagine how I'm feeling right now.

JOSEI: Uh.

ASSEGAI: Anyway, you should probably give Nike an update. Just sayin'.

In a slight daze, you reach up and tap your earpiece, and call out his name.

JOSEI: Nike?

You hear the sound of wind whistling.

NIKE: JOSEI! Did you lose gravity as well?

JOSEI: I... yeah, I sure did.

ASSEGAI: Tell Nike I said hi.

JOSEI: My assegai says hi.

NIKE: What?

JOSEI: ...nevermind, uh, we're fighting Dirk right now. Help????

NIKE: Just hold on for a few minutes, my friend, we're on our way.

You hear the sound of wind increase in volume for a moment, before he disconnects. You spend a moment staring at the distant figures of your friends, and Dirk, flailing in midair.

ASSEGAI: You know, I was just doin' some thinkin'.

JOSEI: You and me both, buddy.

ASSEGAI: No, like, have you thought about how high we are? What's gonna happen when gravity comes back on?

JOSEI: Oh god...

ASSEGAI: On the bright side, it'd be pretty funny if we just fell right into Dirk's stupid face...

You aren't sure if your newly sentient weapon is trying to be helpful or not, but the thought of crushing Dirk doesn't make up for the fact that you shortly may be reenacting your first death.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Assie, what in the actual gently caress?

Throw the spear at the ground and call it back, hopefully physics is broken enough to pull us down.