Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Let's Play Dominions 6: TNN is truly, truly outrageous

New video LP time! Recently, I finished my last video LP about a cute little trilogy of Disney SNES-games, and when Illwinter, the developers of the fantasy strategy series Dominions, released their 6th part, I wanted to do this as my next VLP.

The idea to what exactly, I want to play as, came after a long night of listening to the awesome music of Jem and the Holograms, and here we are: TNN is all about elves, who like to sing, and have the brand new magic path of Glamour attached to them. They're glamorous, they're elves, they're outrageous

In other words, the perfect fit to transport Jem to Godhood. Or is that Godesshood? Anyway, for weeks now I've been stockpiling videos to see if this would be a multiplayer or a solo affair (for the uninitiated: most of the fun in a game of Dominions is seeing what insanity the other human players are coming up with). But to the dismay of all things sane, I actually survived far enough to make this adventure worthwhile.

What the hell is a Dominions, 6?

Dominions is fun! But also a bit overwhelming. The principle sounds simple: Create a GOD, take CONTROL of a fantasy empire of weird dipshits, conquer the world and make your creation the Supreme Ruler of Creation.

Turn for turn, you'll order armies, scouts and mages around, put and script armies, scouts and mages. Priests do priestly things in the name of your "pretender", as the game calls it (as you haven't won, yet). New units and commanders (including scouts, priests and mages) have to be recruited, fortifications built or expanded, magic has to be researched and finally, whenever your armies clash with the enemy, the game dutifully calculates your scripted orders during turn procesing and gives you a little video to watch next turn. So you can see in detail where you hosed up.

Eventually, everything devolves into battlefield-wide combat spells clashing, while even more titanic global spells gently caress over the very world the current game plays in.

The current game even has tools to make your pretender gods and the maps for their wars. There's even a lobby now in case you just want to hop in into some rando's hosted game!

All of the above becomes stupefyingly complex as a game processes, only held in check if you play ridiculously small maps or play solo, as it's tradition in many strategy games, the AI is, of course, very bad.

Apart from new magic, like the new "Glamour"-path of illusions a mage can potentially have, the 6th game also added some diplomacy feature. So at least in a solo game, you can set a game up to enforce diplomacy rules, and then trick AI-controlled nations into peace treaties. A nice upgrade to older games, where a solo-game sometimes devolved into feeling like you were fighting a bunch of extremely stupid, but relentless terminators.

Anyway, if you want to know more,

-Links

Dominions Thread: The OP contains a lot of Info, and the people posting here can help, too.

Dominions Discourd: Our official Dominions-Discord. For talking and organizing games.*

*Added a perma-invite. Hopefully this works!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
-Updates

Jem! 00: Intro and First Turn

Jem! 01: The game is still young

Jem! 02: More Firbolg Attrition

Jem! 03: Kill Horses

Jem! 04: Elf Maneuvers

Jem! 05: Illusion of Time

Jem! 05: Elf²

Jem! 06: Expand the Elfrealm

Jem! 07: Mekone Must Die

Jem! 08: Kappa is my friend

Jem! 09: Water: The Final Frontier

Jem! 10: Meet the Caelums

Jem! 11: Magic, Mekone and More

Jem! 12: Elfs vs. Giants

Jem! 13: The Mekonian War

Jem! 14: Mekone Strikes Back

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 21, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 00

Well, let's get this show on the road. First video, first turn. And yes, because I now people will ask questions, the full intro is just for the first video. I just really like the music, OK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDPjOPurfa8

If you enjoy this at least 10% as much as I enjoyed making it, I consider this a win.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 24, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God speed. I can't pay attention to this one since I'm in it and I don't want any strategic spoilers since that seems like unfair play, but I assume you will laud my wise choices and lament when some idiot decision inevitably gets me nuked by a neighbour.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've never played TNN, so it will be interesting to see what you do with them.

I can only guess Jem will be the Pretender. Rainbow or Titan chassis?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I always really wanted to get into Dominions but I've never had anyone to play with, and also am trash at the game. I also don't have Dominions 6 yet so, we'll see how that shakes out. Look forward to seeing your escapades.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

It's not much of a secret, considering Jem is a titan of music

(I found a nice titan chassis that did what I wanted it to do)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Turin Turambar posted:

its indirectly revealed in the video, the healing spring site is a startsite for matrona of the healing spring

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dominions: the best most awesome poo poo game that drives my rage quit levels from the normal mild to EXXXTREME

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

everyone who's in this game better post screenshots of funny discord convos whenever it's relevant, please and thank you

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'd like to preemptively say that every single bonehead mistake I made was strictly for the entertainment of the audience I didn't realize would exist

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

the holy poopacy posted:

I'd like to preemptively say that every single bonehead mistake I made was strictly for the entertainment of the audience I didn't realize would exist

Thank you for nailing what I should get on my tombstone.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh nice! Dominions is a game I keep buying and never learning enough to keep playing past the first 3 turns. Of course I bought D6.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Mokotow posted:

Oh nice! Dominions is a game I keep buying and never learning enough to keep playing past the first 3 turns. Of course I bought D6.

Joining the Ruby Discord would be a pro move since we love new players, and not just because it gives some of us a distant chance of winning a game.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Love to watch a game that melts my brain every time I try and play. Good luck!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
No turn 1 blind expansion? A shameful display.

Dominions is always a fun time, looking forward to seeing what extra carnage the weird new edition changes will bring. Do Agartha and Abysia start underground now?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What a nice palette cleanse after Master's Of Orion 3.

A game that revels in its jankyness

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Ah yes, dominions. The most interesting game I will never play. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 01

Another update, before the work week will take over most of my attention again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5A1q4uy-8

We're still at the very beginning, so most of what I talk about in this video is, I think, best described as "vague future plans".

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TeeQueue posted:

You should just loving play it. Even single player is interesting enough, and then multiplayer just gets... weird, but in a fun way.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So as I understand it, putting the slingers line behind but detached and to the left of the warriors line left them open for a frontal attack. If they were fully behind the warriors, they would have been less likely to get curbstomped and lose 18, right?

What I find challenging in the beginning is setting up the Dominion. I guess it makes sense to have the dominion strength maxed out, but hell if I know if it needs to be super hot or lucky.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

AtomikKrab posted:

You should just loving play it. Even single player is interesting enough, and then multiplayer just gets... weird, but in a fun way.

I do not have nearly enough time to commit to this game, otherwise I probably would. :shepface:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TeeQueue posted:

I do not have nearly enough time to commit to this game, otherwise I probably would. :shepface:

Multiplayer is honestly only a few minutes a day investment for a rich harvest of lols and despair (mostly your despair)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

So as I understand it, putting the slingers line behind but detached and to the left of the warriors line left them open for a frontal attack. If they were fully behind the warriors, they would have been less likely to get curbstomped and lose 18, right?

What I find challenging in the beginning is setting up the Dominion. I guess it makes sense to have the dominion strength maxed out, but hell if I know if it needs to be super hot or lucky.

Hopefully I remembered talking about it in one of the future videos, but slingers are easy to replace: Cheap in money, resources and recruitment points. They're also rather short-ranged for a long-ranged missile unit. They'll always struggle competing with real archers. They make good bait, though!

If you look closely at the battle, you see my line infantry throwing spears into the dumbasses attacking my slingers from behind, then closing into melee-range to roll them up from the side.

Consequently, my basic, still non-elf infantry looses 1 soldier and kills 23. The massacre was so complete, the sacred Tuatha Warriors I put into that army didn't even get to do anything.

Positioning matters.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, those are some bad independent spawns. The game server crank the independent strength up or is Dom 6 just use less militia in general?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Slaan posted:

Yeah, those are some bad independent spawns. The game server crank the independent strength up or is Dom 6 just use less militia in general?

Over in the Dom 6 thread, independent strength seems screamingly high under default settings - because the economics in general were changed to make larger armies far easier to make, the devs did increase the basic size for independents. There's a part of me that expects that MP standard is going to reduce independent strength (since this is a setting you can just change), as its a significant change to the viability of awake expanders. Whether or not that's a good or bad change is debatable, but it is something players (or at least, the people who make the servers) have agency over, and if the current balance around awake expanders feels bad then players have the option of, well, changing that balance through a very readily accessible, not at all modding or hacking or anything, menu option.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mokotow posted:

You actually shouldn't overspend on dominion strength. Firstly, like magic paths, each "candle" is more expensive than the last. Secondly, every five temples you own increases it by 1 anyway, so you have a way to compensate for it. Anything more than 5 is usually a wild overshot during pretender creation.

As for what "scales" you need, that depends a lot on your nation and how you're trying to play. As a new player I would recommend keeping Luck neutral or positive, and avoiding "expanders"(big awake monsters intended to stomp indie provinces from turn one or two) since making an expander that works and knowing what provinces they can actually take without getting turned into pincushions takes some experience.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 02

Luckily for you all, my last VLP taught me probably planning around my crazy work place demands, so I actually prepared some videos in advance, back on Sunday. No 6 months waiting on the next episode here, I promise. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT_RGZhzpr0

My quest to attrit my starting army down to nothing continues. How many deaths this time? Watch and find out!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like it’ll be a close one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 03

Welp, the last of my prepared stash. Back to the editing mines for me. :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOe475Xe48Y

Question of the day: Since Elves are unrelenting assholes, are my Fantasy World War I tactics actually justified?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if it's been done before in Dominions LPs, but I've always thought would be a neat idea: Show the prep work for a turn and the results of that turn in the same update. For players there's a time gap, and the results of the previous turn lead right into the next turn, but LPs are usually played some number of turns in advance anyway. I think it would make things easier to follow and flow better to have cause and effect grouped together that way.

Regardless, Dominions LPs are fun to read. This is the first Dominions VLP I'm tuning in for, and I'm interested to see how it goes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Always walk forward into the enemy in formation with sacrificial peasants taking the fire. Élan demands it from our fancy elfs!

And you can just call them throwing spears. That's just as understood in English as javelin

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TeeQueue posted:

you of all goddamn people can handle obsessing over obscure mechanics for hours

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Qylvaran posted:

I don't know if it's been done before in Dominions LPs, but I've always thought would be a neat idea: Show the prep work for a turn and the results of that turn in the same update. For players there's a time gap, and the results of the previous turn lead right into the next turn, but LPs are usually played some number of turns in advance anyway. I think it would make things easier to follow and flow better to have cause and effect grouped together that way.

Regardless, Dominions LPs are fun to read. This is the first Dominions VLP I'm tuning in for, and I'm interested to see how it goes.

I'm trying to do this by editing turns together whenever possible. It's just, sometimes things slip me by, or a final video approaches a full hour already, and I really don't want to add even more stuff on top.

Also sometimes prepwork doesn't pay off for multiple turns, and since I'm making recordings several weeks removed from editing and uploads, sometimes I just am plain too dumb to remember what I was the hell talking about. Then I just edit things kind of haphazardly together and hope for the best.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 04

New Update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM-zv-nESJ0

In Dominions 5, I would often Elf Expand with "groups" of 2-4 Sidhe Lords. As in, just the commanders using their Bless Powers to demolish everything. In this game, I slowly learn that Dominions 6 upgraded independent defenses a bit too much.

Luckily, I keep having Elf Lords survive the dumbest poo poo, thanks to the new rider + horse mechanic. Hits that should end my highly expensive cavalry instead just kill the horse, and Elf Lords get their animals back for free.

Anyway, for me the end result of the changes are more maneuvers, as I have to spend more time shuffling troops and commanders around then usual with Elf Nations. On the other hand, "normal" for Dom5 was also me expanding so fast I'd run into 3-4 players at the same time, resulting in a panic dogpile. :v:

Overall, the changes to Dominions 6 made me reconsider a lot of the insane risks I would sometimes take with high bless, bad scales strategies, and therefore not all my games end in under a year anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUXUxD49Pm8

Finally, we discover our neighbors for real. The Elf Way.

Edit: Also marvel at my ability to gently caress up even the easiest editing tasks, the corrected video is down below.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 8, 2024

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Am I tripping or are the turns in reverse order here? Or maybe Winter happening before Early Winter is just some kind of elf bullshit?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

Am I tripping or are the turns in reverse order here? Or maybe Winter happening before Early Winter is just some kind of elf bullshit?

Oh poo poo, you may be right. I was getting a fever when I was editing this batch of videos, and must have reversed those two turns somehow.

I'll redo and re-upload the video tomorrow.

Thank gently caress I decided to keep the individual recordings I made (I just move the ones I no longer need into a big folder labeled "processed").

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

Turns out that this error was even weirder: The source video was just both turns straight after another, so apparently, when I cut out a lengthy middle part where I was just patiently waiting for the turn end calculations to finish, I then actively switched both turns around.

Lesson for the ages, kids: Don't work a computer when you have a fever! :shepface:

(The repaired video is already rendering and will go up later today.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dominions 6: Jem! 05 (Take Two)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjr6vi88DA

The turns are now back in their correct order.