Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Costco Meatballs posted:

Big John is super inconsistent. Sometimes it's nice and tender and well marinated sometimes it's sub-jack links quality

My experience too, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Extra Large Marge posted:

The kind you eat on a road trip

this
The best jerky comes from gas stations in the middle of nowhere

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

what I buy driving out of state on roadtrips

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that's the stuff right there

Costco Meatballs posted:

Big John is super inconsistent. Sometimes it's nice and tender and well marinated sometimes it's sub-jack links quality

agreed but also I just don't really like that style of tree-branch jerky. It's fun to gnaw on it like a caveman though

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
the meat that comes out of your shoe, of course.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Smugworth posted:

Man all the mainstream stuff blows these days so if you don't have a local purveyor all you have is this mushy underflavored trash beef

The real stuff is hard as hell to chew through

Yes. Almost every brand on shelves these days is overly soft garbo more like a pet treat than proper jerky.

The best I'm finding these days is No Man's Land but poo poo is expensive, like 11 bucks for a small bag. Worth it to treat yourself to proper jerky though. Yep it's hard and chewy as should be.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

FlimFlam Imam posted:

the meat that comes out of your shoe, of course.

https://twitter.com/SA__moment/status/1612963932158803968
lol that it was real

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
There wa s like an SA Mart jerky store but then everybody made fun of the mod Louisgod for ordering too much Fiery Fatty jerky.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's weird because I don't like the meat twig jerky but when the soft stuff is mushy it's so gross. Like I'd take bad tough jerky over bad mush jerky.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
yeah gently caress the mush jerky. soft, weirdly almost translucent and purplish-red (nitrites?)

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
There was a brand I used to buy with the slogan "you don't need teef to enjoy my beef". I forget what it was called, but that one. HTH

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Haverchuck posted:

yeah gently caress the mush jerky. soft, weirdly almost translucent and purplish-red (nitrites?)

Yeah I don't know what the hell they're doing to the meat to get this weird almost soft rubber consistency, but it sucks. A lot of brands out there are like this so people must be buying it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Haverchuck posted:

There wa s like an SA Mart jerky store but then everybody made fun of the mod Louisgod for ordering too much Fiery Fatty jerky.

People shouldn't make fun of mods. They're volunteers

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AcidCat posted:

Yeah I don't know what the hell they're doing to the meat to get this weird almost soft rubber consistency, but it sucks. A lot of brands out there are like this so people must be buying it.

Zoomers are buying it because they have widdle baby chalk teeth and can't stand even the slightest hint of hard work

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

wtf

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

What are you some fkin nooby

You never heard of the meat shoes?

:lurkmore:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

givepatajob posted:

There was a brand I used to buy with the slogan "you don't need teef to enjoy my beef". I forget what it was called, but that one. HTH

That’s my slogan as well

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

givepatajob posted:

"you don't need teef to enjoy my beef"

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That’s my slogan as well

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
is salmon beef?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I started eating beef jerky 5 years ago after always ignoring it my whole life.

I blame "fruit leather" for this, by the way. I was always given fruit leather as a child and told it was just as good as candy, which it definitely isn't. Beef jerky totally activates the part of my brain that hates fruit leather. But part of getting older is getting over things.

I like beef jerky but I've noticed significant differences between different brands. What's the best jerky I can buy at a store? What's the best jerky I can only get at a specialty store? What's the best jerky I can only get online?

I usually buy the teriyaki variety, which has nothing to do with my username, which I didn't choose.

like fruit leather its best made yourself with a dehydrater

Jelly posted:

is salmon beef?

no but salmon jerky is the best jerky.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

snergle posted:

like fruit leather its best made yourself with a dehydrater

no but salmon jerky is the best jerky.

salmon candy is pretty good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I actually started this thread because I've never had salmon jerky, I don't know where to get it, I was trying to find some online, which lead me into the confusing world of purchasing jerky online, and I was like "drat, despite enjoying jerky for the past half a decade, I don't know a thing about jerky."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I actually started this thread because I've never had salmon jerky, I don't know where to get it, I was trying to find some online, which lead me into the confusing world of purchasing jerky online, and I was like "drat, despite enjoying jerky for the past half a decade, I don't know a thing about jerky."

ive only had it made by my friends dad he fresh caught salmon during salmon season so i couldnt tell you. i know ill never be as good at making jerky in my dehydrater as he was so i dont bother loving up something expensive like salmon.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

there's a site I found that does vegan jerky but it's like $18 a bag plus shipping :cry:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They do deer, elk, and bison jerky out here in Montana and the elk is actually pretty good. Bison sucks.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I make it myself. Word of advice from experience, the thinner you cut the better. Get your butcher to do it. Feel like making some Korean BBQ maybe like how they have it at Costco

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I don’t know if there’s any good turkey jerky but the one time I tried some it was so off putting

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I don’t know if there’s any good turkey jerky but the one time I tried some it was so off putting

Costco has some good Kirkland brand stuff but it's that gummy type or whatever the hell that doesn't feel like real meat

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Putty posted:

Costco has some good Kirkland brand stuff but it's that gummy type or whatever the hell that doesn't feel like real meat

Same with the pork jerky. Yet I've had many people tell me how much they love it. I think they just are addicted to sugar prob.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
I've never had salmon jerky but candied salmon is loving good.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

Peppered.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You gotta go to salmon coasts to get the good salmon candy

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

When I lived in Myrtle Beach there was a chain called Beef Jerky Outlet. I googled it and I guess it’s mostly scattered along the east coast. Anyway, it was typically in little strip malls and was just wall-to-wall of wild flavors of jerky and other dehydrated products like gator and turkey and venison.

The best one I found was called Cajun BBQ brisket. Thicker cut than normal jerky but super tender and sweet with a nice lingering burn that’s not overwhelming.

Check one out if you’re nearby. Usually the staff is really nice and they’re cool with giving you as many samples as you want.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Years ago I was driving down the Pacific Coast Highway. I forget where we were but we kept seeing signs for "Really really really really good beef jerky 20 miles." The another for 10 miles, etc. We did stop at the shop, which was right off the highway. Bought a few bags. It was pretty good. Not sure about really really really really good though. I wish I remembered the same of the shop so I could see if it's still around.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The best jerky is the Golden Island Korean BBQ pork jerky, it's not even expensive. It's like candied pork

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Hazo posted:

When I lived in Myrtle Beach there was a chain called Beef Jerky Outlet. I googled it and I guess it’s mostly scattered along the east coast. Anyway, it was typically in little strip malls and was just wall-to-wall of wild flavors of jerky and other dehydrated products like gator and turkey and venison.

The best one I found was called Cajun BBQ brisket. Thicker cut than normal jerky but super tender and sweet with a nice lingering burn that’s not overwhelming.

Check one out if you’re nearby. Usually the staff is really nice and they’re cool with giving you as many samples as you want.

Resort and beach towns always have a place like this. They always have all the 'gift shop' type food items like hot sauces, chocolate covered whatever in bins w/a scoop, and those lollipops with a bug in em

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

The best jerky is the Golden Island Korean BBQ pork jerky, it's not even expensive. It's like candied pork

Way too sweet. Plus the sticky coating gets all over your hands.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

I don't know the best, but I do know that the worst jerky I ever had was snapping turtle. A friend grabbed it while they were passing through Oklahoma or something, and it tasted like a mouthful of stagnant swamp water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

That makes a lot of sense