Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoya

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

cruft posted:

It makes me happy that people are posting awesome news! I'm pumped for you!

The thing I didn't want to attend is turning out to be wildly more productive than I imagined, which is great. New Orleans (where the thing is) is a pretty cool town, even for a dude like me who likes to find quiet places to just exist in. On the way back to the hotel I walked through some super cool smaller roads that felt like Montreal but in the Caribbean? I loved the vibe.

P. good day overall, 6/7 :peanut:

hey new orleans, thats where i live! well, for about another month, anyway. i'm finally escaping the swamp and moving north after like 5 years of trying and failing for various reasons

nola's great, one of the coolest places to be, but the problem is that literally everything else nearby sucks and the distance you have to travel in order to make it to something other than new orleans that doesn't suck is enormous

thank you snuff melange for the beautiful winter siggy~!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Zoya posted:

hey new orleans, thats where i live! well, for about another month, anyway. i'm finally escaping the swamp and moving north after like 5 years of trying and failing for various reasons

nola's great, one of the coolest places to be, but the problem is that literally everything else nearby sucks and the distance you have to travel in order to make it to something other than new orleans that doesn't suck is enormous

Other than the vibe of walking around the street, my second favorite thing about New Orleans was the train ride out (the ride in was too dark to see). I've never seen swamp before and it was cool as hell. So many birds. And algae, I guess? Just acres of algae on still water. I can only imagine how many little critters must live there.

I woke up this Morning in Illinois or something, on a moving train. Now I'm in Chicago. I have 6 hours to kill before the next train leaves. One of the cool things about trains is that the big union stations are generally smack in the middle of downtown. I walked East until I hit Lake Michigan, then went North. Now I'm at a big Ferris wheel, and a statue of Bob Newhart. Seems like that took about 90 minutes. Backpacks rule: wheelie suitcases do not allow you to saunter around town like this.

It's pretty cold in Chicago today, but the walk ruled. I have another hour+ to get back to the train station. Maybe something will be open for lunch on the way back. Then I'll just curl up with a good book and enjoy being worn out as I wait for the train to board. 5/7

databasic posted:

also did ruby have any beans tia

No, she gets dog farts and nobody wants that. But she did score some cheese and a bit of tortilla.

cruft

Randy Travesty posted:

My bps went up therefore money number go up! Everything's coming up cruft (and hams!)

Bits Per Second?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Bits Per Second?

Basis points, I get paid a % in commission of my sales. My sales are good, so it helps.

databasic

cruft posted:

she did score some cheese and a bit of tortilla.

ty for crupdate

It sounds so chill to be traveling and checking things out. Where will you go next?

Zoya

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

cruft posted:

Other than the vibe of walking around the street, my second favorite thing about New Orleans was the train ride out (the ride in was too dark to see). I've never seen swamp before and it was cool as hell. So many birds. And algae, I guess? Just acres of algae on still water. I can only imagine how many little critters must live there.

I woke up this Morning in Illinois or something, on a moving train. Now I'm in Chicago. I have 6 hours to kill before the next train leaves. One of the cool things about trains is that the big union stations are generally smack in the middle of downtown. I walked East until I hit Lake Michigan, then went North. Now I'm at a big Ferris wheel, and a statue of Bob Newhart. Seems like that took about 90 minutes. Backpacks rule: wheelie suitcases do not allow you to saunter around town like this.

It's pretty cold in Chicago today, but the walk ruled. I have another hour+ to get back to the train station. Maybe something will be open for lunch on the way back. Then I'll just curl up with a good book and enjoy being worn out as I wait for the train to board. 5/7

guessing this was amtrak, at our only train station... but i didn't know we had a line going to chicago until now! we used to only have a single line, the "crescent line", which goes from here to new york. my gf and i rode that one up to philly for an anniversary a few years ago -- 31 hour train ride, we got the fancy sleeper car and everything, got to eat fancy steaks and drink wine on the dining car (....this was just before they seemingly got rid of the fancy dining cars, because heavens forfend we get to have nice things in this godsforsaken country...), tolerably comfortable bunk beds, it was great

we read books, watched the greenery outside slowly morph from swamp green to regular green the further north the train got, played music on a cheap bluetooth speaker, secretly vaped a lil weed, it was a really nice time

sometimes, traveling slowly is a lot better than traveling quickly

thank you snuff melange for the beautiful winter siggy~!

cruft

Zoya posted:

guessing this was amtrak, at our only train station... but i didn't know we had a line going to chicago until now!

Yeah, Amtrak 58, "The City Of New Orleans". There's even a song about it! Arlo Guthrie did the most famous version.

Be careful taking weed onto a train. If you get caught, that's a federal offense. A guy got busted on my last leg today and the conductor was pretty bummed about it. He didn't want to bust the guy, but he gave everybody on the train multiple warnings and the dude went ahead and lit up a joint in the lounge car: not a brilliant move.

I'm back from my 48-hour train trip. The very end of the train from Chicago to Lamy is pretty, going through the southern tip of the rockies. The lady next to me was all excited to see mountains, so I sent her to the observation car as we went through Raton pass, a section of the rocky mountains on the Colorado/New Mexico border. She came back saying she saw some hills but it just wasn't as pretty as real mountains, like the rockies :wtc:. Then she complained that the train was going so slow. Maybe she missed the gigantic sign saying we'd just climbed 1800 feet.

So I didn't bother her when we went through them again in Glorieta pass: she seemed to be enjoying playing her paint-by-number game on her mobile phone.

It's so nice to be home. 7/7

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

cruft posted:

A guy got busted on my last leg today and the conductor was pretty bummed about it. He didn't want to bust the guy, but he gave everybody on the train multiple warnings and the dude went ahead and lit up a joint in the lounge car: not a brilliant move.

I feel worse for the conductor. It's never fun to be in the spot where you have to kill the buzz.

Unrelated
My new pc is supposed to be here a day early. I'm in a cool mood and I never added all my music to this phone so my trip out was a bunch of good stuff out of the 40ish songs and the walk was fun.
I'm looking forward to being able to edit better and finish projects.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021