Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I am shipping some products to Seoul, Republic of Korea for the first time. It seems like a cool place. I've never been but it seems fine.

Out side of K-Pop, Samsung, LG, Kia, etc. I don't really know much about South Korea.

Has anyone been there? Live there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

beef's wife is south korean and still lives in south korea, iirc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they have starcraft there which is pretty cool

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Branch Nvidian posted:

beef's wife is south korean and still lives in south korea, iirc

Oh really cool.

Paging Beef to the Seoul thread. I repeat, Beef to the Seoul thread. Over.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:69snypa:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I was shocked when I first learned its not pronounced say-ool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had a notion to visit reykjavik and seoul this year, but iceland is currently being turned into magma, and i realized i'd be super overwhelmed in seoul

I like to watch the Seoul Walker channel videos where somebody just walks around the city though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AlbertFlasher posted:

Oh really cool.

Paging Beef to the Seoul thread. I repeat, Beef to the Seoul thread. Over.

hello yes my wife lives in seoul and grew up in gangnam. what would you like to know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does she know psy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

hello yes my wife lives in seoul and grew up in gangnam. what would you like to know

you mean from the song?!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

does she know psy

she knows of him but doesn't think much of him

akadajet posted:

you mean from the song?!

yeah

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

all i know about korea is they love corn syrup

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also bob dobbs is dead is actually a korean, i'm just married to one. he can probably answer questions too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i believe that peep no longer postulates from that particular polity, perhaps

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

i believe that peep no longer postulates from that particular polity, perhaps

yeah but he probably knows more about the country than i do

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AlbertFlasher posted:

I am shipping some products to Seoul, Republic of Korea for the first time. It seems like a cool place. I've never been but it seems fine.

Out side of K-Pop, Samsung, LG, Kia, etc. I don't really know much about South Korea.

ive been there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

i had a notion to visit reykjavik and seoul this year, but iceland is currently being turned into magma, and i realized i'd be super overwhelmed in seoul

I like to watch the Seoul Walker channel videos where somebody just walks around the city though

you wont be overwhelmed just go. you dont have forever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

you wont be overwhelmed just go. you dont have forever

yeah. and i don't know what specifically jonny thinks would be overwhelming, but if it's the density, that's just going to get worse. same with bright ads and signs and poo poo all over the place

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i spent 8 hours in an airport in South Korea, it seemed nice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

i spent 8 hours in an airport in South Korea, it seemed nice

their public transportation infrastructure is in general very nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah. and i don't know what specifically jonny thinks would be overwhelming, but if it's the density, that's just going to get worse. same with bright ads and signs and poo poo all over the place

i've never left the US and i only speak english! I'm sure it's common enough but, you know. i'm just a hillbilly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

i've never left the US and i only speak english! I'm sure it's common enough but, you know. i'm just a hillbilly

you'll do fine. because of the internet lots of koreans speak at least a little english now, and it's good to leave the us. it's not a good country

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah. i havent ruled it out

i do need to work on this clean livin weight loss thing for a few months though lol before i'd be comfortable goin.

do you still have to do dumb poo poo like go to a walgreens for a passport photo etc? i should get started on that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nah i have to update my passport too and saw that you can take your own photo now actually lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

just use the translate app included with your apple iphone. you can even download languages so you can use it in airplane mode and not use data

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
huh. neato

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

everyone speaks some english now thanks to The Internet, plus there's a million good-enough translators. Not speaking the language is not a big deal. Learn to say "please" and "thank you" and "sorry" and you can point a lot and you'll be fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

be the idiot fish out of water tourist you want to see in the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright it kinda sounds like fun now

i dont want to monopolize the thread tho.

post some cool things to do and see in Seoul

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

im a stupid white guy who only speaks english, and i was sent to seoul for almost a month last year for work. it was kind of cheating because the business hotels are set up for foreigners, and all the stuff nearby is tolerant. the hotel employees had perfect english, and most places (train station, department store, etc) have a functional amount. at restaurants i could point at stuff on the menu, or google-translate-from-camera to read anything text-only.

all the signage is in korean/japanese/chinese/english, and smaller ones that are cut down still have korean/english pretty much by default. naver maps has really good transit integration, and also works fine in english. punch in where you want to go, and it'll tell you which bus to get on, and where the stop is. pretty good. the train stations have automated kiosks for loading your transit card or buying individual tickets, and they always have an english option.

like it's not perfect, there is a little more friction than if you were wandering around the states, but i didn't think it was hard at all if you spend a lil time paying attention and thinking about what you're doing. and most of the time it doesnt even need that lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i am super disappointed that i didn't get to go to a baseball game when i was there. seems like that woulda been a good time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

u should try to go to a place where you dont understand whats happening around you and you just gawk at the flow. it builds character and puts hair on your chest

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like this past weekend i went to the biggest buddhist temple around here for the holiday and there were tens of thousands of people walking through with their incense and praying at the shrines and security guards with megaphones yelling at you to keep moving forward etc. jonny you should seek out experiences like this that are far far away from arkansas hillybilly life and just bask in it for a few weeks. you dont need to understand a word of whats going on, its just cool to put urself through experiences like that

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

like this past weekend i went to the biggest buddhist temple around here for the holiday and there were tens of thousands of people walking through with their incense and praying at the shrines and security guards with megaphones yelling at you to keep moving forward etc. jonny you should seek out experiences like this that are far far away from arkansas hillybilly life and just bask in it for a few weeks. you dont need to understand a word of whats going on, its just cool to put urself through experiences like that

i am not one who should give anyone advice, but yeah this is part of why i don't really have specific advice on what to do there. i spent most of my time just wandering around, trying to see new things, focusing on Being There rather than doing anything in particular

maybe not the most fulfilling advice for someone excited to do activities, but it's mostly what i did

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there are lots of places in seoul which aren’t over stimulating. it's only as stimulating as you let it be.

if you've been to any large american city, it's about that level of stimulation.

really good spicy food and tons of drinking too, highest recommendation

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i live here its weird. people very much over-estimate how many people speak english well (or at least are willing to try to speak english). there is a problem where in school they only learn english readng and writing, very little speaking, and they seem to get insanely embarassed about their poor english so wont even try.

also if youre a foreign woman they will treat you like absolute poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

AlbertFlasher posted:

my sil lived there for two years and loved it

she also met her husband there who turned out to be a tramadol addicted domestic violence enthusiast, but thankfully yeeted him quickly

that’s my SK story

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Impress the locals by eating hot food, because south korea invented spices

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bump_fn posted:

i live here its weird. people very much over-estimate how many people speak english well (or at least are willing to try to speak english). there is a problem where in school they only learn english readng and writing, very little speaking, and they seem to get insanely embarassed about their poor english so wont even try.

common ESL thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah. i havent ruled it out

i do need to work on this clean livin weight loss thing for a few months though lol before i'd be comfortable goin.

do you still have to do dumb poo poo like go to a walgreens for a passport photo etc? i should get started on that

I’m an extremely anxious traveler so I don’t discount that but I’ve also never been upset that I traveled. I always schedule like two days to hermit up in my hotel after landing and I’m always walking around exploring like 2 hours after checkin.

You can take your passport photo yourself these days.