Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Beeftweeter posted:

hello yes my wife lives in seoul and grew up in gangnam. what would you like to know

oh not much I just wanted to bring some more ppl into the thread lol

I am happy others are posting their south korea experiences :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
my direct to tokyo had a stop in seoul and i had to go through security, which was unexpected
flight attendants just announced 'i hope your ready for an unforgettable incheon'

seoul looked really cool from the air i would like to go there. i'm ready for more awkward encounters.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
leeum museum (fake-name-sounding-rear end museum) is cool & good

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I ate the steak tartare x “live octopus” dish that only tourists eat, and you know what? not bad.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just gonna quote myself from cjs

Beeftweeter posted:

well poo poo this is kinda hosed up

my wife's ipad is pretty beat up and her applecare+ expires 3/17. they don't honor applecare+ in korea (way to go apple, that's real loving convenient), so she wants to ship it here for me to get it replaced

but when she went to the post office, they told her that they can't send an ipad via EMS. that sounded like bullshit to me, so i looked it up and found this

quote:

① 현재 우체국에서는 니켈류 배터리를 제외하고 충전해서 사용하는 배터리는 종류, 용량에 상관없이 발송 불가하며,
② 배터리 분리 가능할 경우 본체만 발송 가능, 아이패드 등 일체(내장)형도 예외없이 발송 불가
* 배터리가 포함된 물품 : 노트북, 휴대폰 무선충전기, 아이패드, 전자책, 아이폰, 이발기, 전자담배, 전자사전, 체온기, 호버 보드, 혈압계, 휴대폰, 블루투스 헤드셋, 완구·장남감 등

which afaict translates to

quote:

① Currently, the post office cannot ship rechargeable batteries, regardless of type or capacity, except for nickel batteries.
② If the battery is removable, only the main body can be shipped. All-in-one (built-in) models such as iPads cannot be shipped, without exception.
* Items containing batteries: laptops, wireless mobile phone charger, iPad, e-books, iPhone, hair clippers, electronic cigarettes, electronic dictionaries, thermometers, hover boards, blood pressure monitors, mobile phones, Bluetooth headsets, toys, etc.

god loving damnit :argh:

apparently you can't use US applecare+ in korea, even though they offer applecare+ there. great loving going apple, this is extremely convenient

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

you wont be overwhelmed just go. you dont have forever

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i've never left the US and i only speak english! I'm sure it's common enough but, you know. i'm just a hillbilly

this makes me sad jony

you have the money and the time

get a passport and just loving go, you won’t regret it

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

this makes me sad jony

get a passport and just loving go, you won’t regret it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nargle's going to pass away this year and i kind of want to be there for it, okay. maybe it'll happen sooner rather than later. i said i didnt want to monopolize the thread, i'll let yall get back to it now.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
defacto travel thread

I haven’t travelled too many places where it was challenging, budapest was prolly the hardest because they use the latin alphabet but you can’t “wing it”, like you kinda can in france or italy, because their language is B A N A NA S

looking on a menu in italy and it says aqua? that’s water. EZPZ. many such cases

but generally travel is easy because, and this is the secret - you’ve got money and someone else wants it.

SEA is super easy to travel around because no matter where you look there’s someone willing to take your money to take you somewhere

when we arrived in koh samui last year, i’d been but my partner hadn’t. it was late we’d been travelling for ages, and we landed, and my partner was looking on uber for a ride but couldn’t find any and it was like 10:30pm and she was getting distraught we’d struggle to get home but I wasn’t worried, turns out there were many many taxis and cars and a tuk tuk and anything you can imagine just right there hanging out for some sweet baht

here’s a photo of some infrastructure

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the thing i was not prepared for the first time i went to europe was that everything was 24 hour time. for whatever reason that was the big culture shock.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

tk posted:

You can take your passport photo yourself these days.

costco used to do it for something like $3, but since they got rid of their photo centers, that's not an option anymore. if you do take your own photo, use a tripod or have someone else do it vs taking a selfie, as selfies can distort your face due to the short focal length

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
a big benefit of living in east asia is that lots of places are now really close and cheap to get to. i can take weekend trips to japan for next to nothing, and if i dont mind sitting on a plane for like five hours (as opposed to 20 from teh US) i can be in vietnam or cambodia etc etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
conversely, i live on an island 4000km away from the nearest decent sized anything :smugmrgw::cry:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
My wife is from Seoul, but was adopted at 4 months old and hasn’t been back. We may go someday. She’s in no rush.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do they call those little clit tickler mini-goatees a “seoul patch” over there

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

do they call those little clit tickler mini-goatees a “seoul patch” over there

no korean man ever has facial hair grown out

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

here’s a photo of some infrastructure

infrastructure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

conversely, i live on an island 4000km away from the nearest decent sized anything :smugmrgw::cry:

owned

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’ve been to 36 countries and I’m gonna take this post to act smug about it : :smug:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i’m only 300kms away and i’ll think you’ll find my size more than adequate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think ive been to 17 and honestly its enough. i get the idea by now.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i actually dont like travelling a lot but I recognize that its something that everyone should do at least a little bit of

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

41, but that’s a little inflated by poo poo like a half a day in monaco and vatican city

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ye hop on a train in europe and whoops there’s 3 countries

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

i actually dont like travelling a lot but I recognize that its something that everyone should do at least a little bit of

being other places is fun

getting there, especially when it involves 8+ hours on a plane plus jet lag, sucks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The_Franz posted:

getting there, especially when it involves 8+ hours on a plane plus jet lag, sucks

that’s why you fly business class, duh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

auckland to LA loving SUCKS SCABBED UP HORSE BALLS AND THE WHOLE HORSES DICK DOWN YOUR THROAT FOR DESSERT

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

did you like LA echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it was ok. I mean, as a city its not memorable like nyc or bangkok, it’s just a looooooooooooot of concrete.

driving to LV was prolly the best part

trip to the us was : staying in breckinridge with my kiwi friends who were working there over winter, flew back to LA and met my wife off the plane and we spent some time in LA, LV, flew to san fran and stayed with some ultra christian family friends, flew to miami, did a carnival cruise around the caribbean (but not cuba of course), then drove from miami to DC via tennessee, and visited nyc

it was a whirlwind trip and a lotta fuckin miles on those big glorious freeways. a lot of variety for sure

the biggest let down was going to white castle after having watched harold and kumar go to white castle so many times (it was the only movie I had on my video ipod lol)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I first arrived in LA from auckland, I was taken into customs and interrogated as to why I was flying separately from my wife. it was to visit friends

I had asked for some lorazepam from my GP to help with the flight and id never had it before and I took one and then under the influence of it I took 2 more so I was absolutely zoinked when I was in customs getting interrogated so I otherwise prolly woulda been making GBS threads my pants but I did not care lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'm a seoul man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the WORST place in the whole world I have ever visited was tijuana

I forgot we also drove from LA to anchor man city and walked over to tijuana and holy poo poo I did NOT feel comfortable

other bad experiences :

the market in jamaica

we got off the cruise boat and instead of one of the carnival excursions we walked to a nearby beach and there were just too locals and we chatted with them and that was legit awesome

when we came back to the port we went to the market and oh my god, the harassment to buy their wares from every single seller was overbearing. honestly I don’t know how it doesn’t put everyone off immediately resulting in no one buying anything . in the west we generally just browse stalls and shops, and the poorer the nation the more people try to sell to you unsolicited (casual observation, could be wrong), but this jaimaca market was the worst by such a large margin

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

when I first arrived in LA from auckland, I was taken into customs and interrogated as to why I was flying separately from my wife. it was to visit friends

I had asked for some lorazepam from my GP to help with the flight and id never had it before and I took one and then under the influence of it I took 2 more so I was absolutely zoinked when I was in customs getting interrogated so I otherwise prolly woulda been making GBS threads my pants but I did not care lmao

first and only time I went to LA a friend came to pick us up and got fined like $90 for getting out of the car to help with our bags in the pick up zone or something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

USA is also the only place in the world were in the middle of the country I've been stopped by dudes with big guns in camo and asked for id. I'm lucky I had some on me as we were traveling between hotels, hadn't really thought to carry it everywhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I once paid €8 for a diet coke outside the colleseum coz I was desperate

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I once paid €8 for a diet coke outside the colleseum coz I was desperate

at jfk terminal one a couple of weeks ago, i got a beer while waiting for my flight that wound up being $18. apparently that is down from a couple of years ago, when prices were getting so ridiculous, that the port authority actually cracked down and said they can only charge something like 10% over "typical street price".

it wasn't a high abv stout or ipa or anything like that, just a standard pale ale

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

distortion park posted:

first and only time I went to LA a friend came to pick us up and got fined like $90 for getting out of the car to help with our bags in the pick up zone or something

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

distortion park posted:

USA is also the only place in the world were in the middle of the country I've been stopped by dudes with big guns in camo and asked for id. I'm lucky I had some on me as we were traveling between hotels, hadn't really thought to carry it everywhere

harassing the people manning those inland border patrol checkpoints are one of the very few times that sovereign citizen types are in the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

nargle's going to pass away this year and i kind of want to be there for it, okay. maybe it'll happen sooner rather than later. i said i didnt want to monopolize the thread, i'll let yall get back to it now.

if you want easy mode travelling, go to some other anglo country first. have you never been even to canada? imbibe of their subtly different donuts and marvel at their healthcare before going to a rich-but-doesnt-speak-your-language country. going to poor countries becomes more difficult but is still worthwhile

lotta rich peep bullshit is just bullshit. travel ain't

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 1, 2024