Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I did my first big overseas easy mode trip as an adult to hong kong, almost everyone speaks english, at any moment you are no less than 100 feet from a convenience store or someone selling food, it's safe and there's a lot to see if you like cities. it also definitely fulfilled the "I'm really somewhere else, not at home just different" feeling. that said if you're worried about getting overwhelmed it can be kind of a lot. plus it's changed a ton in the almost 20 years since that trip and lost a lot of the vibe that made it so fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
singapore hasn't changed as much, if you want an english speaking asian polity. however it has never been as fun and never will be, lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

it was ok. I mean, as a city its not memorable like nyc or bangkok, it’s just a looooooooooooot of concrete.

driving to LV was prolly the best part

trip to the us was : staying in breckinridge with my kiwi friends who were working there over winter, flew back to LA and met my wife off the plane and we spent some time in LA, LV, flew to san fran and stayed with some ultra christian family friends, flew to miami, did a carnival cruise around the caribbean (but not cuba of course), then drove from miami to DC via tennessee, and visited nyc

it was a whirlwind trip and a lotta fuckin miles on those big glorious freeways. a lot of variety for sure

the biggest let down was going to white castle after having watched harold and kumar go to white castle so many times (it was the only movie I had on my video ipod lol)

yah thats about right. los angeles is mostly a crap city as far as famous cities go but the desert areas surrounding it are pretty cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

first and only time I went to LA a friend came to pick us up and got fined like $90 for getting out of the car to help with our bags in the pick up zone or something

yeah lax is one of the worst places in the world, ignoring the places where your at risk of literally dying

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

singapore hasn't changed as much, if you want an english speaking asian polity. however it has never been as fun and never will be, lol

singapore is nice. its clean, things seem to work p well and smoothly. foods good. but yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

1 of the things that initially struck me going to asia (i went to tokyo first, then beijing, then other parts of china my first trip over here) was just how many people there are. seriously. when i was growing up it always felt like boston was crowded but if i go to certain areas of shenzhen or w/e i might literally see 100,000+ people in a single afternoon with my own eyes. its hard to understand just how many ppl there are in the big asian cities like tokyo, seoul, shanghai, etc if youve never been there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
biggest asian city i’ve been to was bangkok and yeah there’s lots of people but not like you describe, I suspect it’s more spread out but idk.

what strikes me is just how much there is to buy everywhere all the time. the barrier of entry to selling something from a cart is much lower, idk if they have regulations on food carts or something but over here regulations make tiny cart sellers basically unfeasible

I love random street food in thailand or whatnot. whatever doesn’t kill me just makes me stronger

my trick for making my kitchen smell like thai street food was flicking a bit of peanut oil on the element, that burned oil smell totally brings the vibe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

biggest asian city i’ve been to was bangkok and yeah there’s lots of people but not like you describe, I suspect it’s more spread out but idk.

what strikes me is just how much there is to buy everywhere all the time. the barrier of entry to selling something from a cart is much lower, idk if they have regulations on food carts or something but over here regulations make tiny cart sellers basically unfeasible

I love random street food in thailand or whatnot. whatever doesn’t kill me just makes me stronger

my trick for making my kitchen smell like thai street food was flicking a bit of peanut oil on the element, that burned oil smell totally brings the vibe

yah its like that other places too. i think its a combo of less regulation + vastly more customers. a popular breakfast place around here selling baozi might serve thousands (plural) of customers in a morning. i doubt theres many places in nz with that kinda customer base

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

los angeles is mostly a crap city as far as famous cities go

sounds like someone hasnt been to LA's #1 tourist attraction

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i doubt theres many places in nz with that kinda customer base

what are
you talking about

about nz

compared with the population density of other countries such as that of the United States, which is 35.71 persons per square kilometre, Australia has only 3 persons/km2. It also has a lower density than Canada's 4 persons /km2, New Zealand's 18 persons/ km2, and the United Kingdom's 275 persons/ km2.

china is 152 per square k

nz and uk are an interesting comparison because I think they aren’t too dissimilar in overall size but uk around 15x as dense :chanpop:

one thing I noticed when driving thru the US is how often there’s would be a turn off to a small town, like every 5 mins or so almost the whole time . there’s a lot of people everywhere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

what are
you talking about

about nz

compared with the population density of other countries such as that of the United States, which is 35.71 persons per square kilometre, Australia has only 3 persons/km2. It also has a lower density than Canada's 4 persons /km2, New Zealand's 18 persons/ km2, and the United Kingdom's 275 persons/ km2.

china is 152 per square k

nz and uk are an interesting comparison because I think they aren’t too dissimilar in overall size but uk around 15x as dense :chanpop:

one thing I noticed when driving thru the US is how often there’s would be a turn off to a small town, like every 5 mins or so almost the whole time . there’s a lot of people everywhere

what im talking about is, i assume that an avg restaurant in new zealand doesnt have as many customers as an avg restaurant in bangkok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🧐

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
where’s your evidenc e

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I’ve been to cuba

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i've touched computers on the plains of the serengeti and in the shadows of mt kilmanjaro

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

singapore is nice. its clean, things seem to work p well and smoothly. foods good. but yeah

I spent 3 months in Singapore last year and I loved it, apart from getting dengue doing the coast to coast trail and almost breaking my ankle falling down stairs drunk on the way home from a ktv at 5am

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

seoul is cool and extremely friendly. anyone stressed or nervous about travel should still go where they want, as long as they can book a good hotel, get them to send a car to the airport, and then don't aspire to do a ton of things immediately. idiots would view this as a wimpy way to do things but who the gently caress enjoys missing your stop on the airport bus as a vacation?

go down to the corner market and buy some strange snacks (take care about buying bottled water as it'll wind up being soju) and then chill in your comfy hotel room until feeling like properly venturing out. i am a pretty anxious person but the only real trick i need about travel is to not pressure myself, in practice i wind up out and about in no time by just not letting it be a hassle or struggle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

I spent 3 months in Singapore last year and I loved it, apart from getting dengue doing the coast to coast trail and almost breaking my ankle falling down stairs drunk on the way home from a ktv at 5am

ive only spent 2 weeks there but i also liked it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Singapore has expensive alcohol and boring people

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

Singapore has expensive alcohol and boring people

I’ve lived in sg for 9 months and you couldn’t pay me enough to stay here longer. everything is turbo expensive, the weather sucks 365/24-7 and once you’ve done all the things there are to do once, well hope you like malls and hawker centers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, 9 months is way too long

you kinda run outta stuff to do after a week or two over there

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

poor countries are generally the most memorable and effecting. cambodia was very touching, although challenging. its just really loving poor, but like everywhere, the people are mostly kind and helpful. it makes you feel like a real overprivileged jerk when you see how little they have but how generous they can be

countries with a good balance of cultural and economic difference, beauty, challenge, but also reasonable ease of travel and comfort are thailand, india, and (depending on where you go) indonesia. they all rule and I recommend spending as much time as you can there

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, 9 months is way too long

you kinda run outta stuff to do after a week or two over there

yeah well gf got a job here so

then she got laid off a month ago so back to HK it is

edit: for actual content I’ve been to Seoul and its always a good time. I agree with the suggestion of just wandering if you don’t have anything planned that day. also it’s cold as poo poo in the winter

Feisty-Cadaver fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 2, 2024

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I’ve lived in sg for 9 months and you couldn’t pay me enough to stay here longer. everything is turbo expensive, the weather sucks 365/24-7 and once you’ve done all the things there are to do once, well hope you like malls and hawker centers

lol at writing this and then moving back to hong kong

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I guess HK at least some outdoor stuff you can do, maybe Singapore doesn't

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

my homie dhall posted:

I guess HK at least some outdoor stuff you can do, maybe Singapore doesn't

it’s not even loving close dude.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

fair enough, but your complaints about singapore are pretty much what I would say about HK. of the two I'd pick HK to live though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

HK has edge and is just generally cool while singapore is fascist-lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

my homie dhall posted:

fair enough, but your complaints about singapore are pretty much what I would say about HK. of the two I'd pick HK to live though

eh, idk. in HK:

- rent is cheaper
- food is _way_ cheaper
- HK has a "winter"
- public transport is cheaper (and better imo)
- has mountains and actual beaches

SG:
- the zoo kicks rear end (the HK zoo is super duper depressing)
- universal studios and esp the BSG coasters fuckin' rule
- otters
- pedestrians generally walk on the correct side of the sidewalk most of the time whereas in HK it's chaos mode walking all the time

for me mostly the weather in SG is a deal breaker.

git apologist posted:

HK has edge and is just generally cool while singapore is fascist-lite

I'd agree with you before the national security law was passed. you won't get executed for having weed like SG did to a guy a month ago or so, but HK police these days have carte blanche to throw you in jail for "sedition" for basically any reason at all.

Anyway go to Korea it's great fun.