Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

311 was the music that the kids you weren't allowed to hang out with listened to.

They are a pretty good band. A lot of people seem to not think so but I think they kinda got meme'd into badness by really self serious metal-heads and TOOL fans. They are a band that's all about positivity and having a good time. I saw them live and they played for like 4 hours which was a great value.

In the middle of their set they did a big conga drum thing and everyone blazed up!

I've been listening to Soundsystem and its got some really great drums, funky bass, and overall positive vibes. Its the kinda poo poo you wanna play in your car with the windows down on a summer day.

I also dig the idea that a bunch of dudes from Omaha, Nebraska could get together and unironically do a funk/ska/reggae/rap project.

Anyways these are just some thoughts I had about 311.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

A lady at my work got a 311 tattoo on March 11th every year. One day she showed up at work and tacked used shooting range silhouettes all over her cubicle. They fired her the next day and posted signs with her photo all over the office saying to call security if we see her. Anyway that’s my 311 story

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Know that we have always been :downs:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Also I think they did that song Two Princes? Can’t be bothered to look it up

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bouillon Rube posted:

Also I think they did that song Two Princes? Can’t be bothered to look it up

That was Spin Doctors

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

You couldn't wait 13 days to post a 311 thread on 311 day?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

They stunk

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Electrified by the sound

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

You couldn't wait 13 days to post a 311 thread on 311 day?

Got em

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bouillon Rube posted:

A lady at my work got a 311 tattoo on March 11th every year. One day she showed up at work and tacked used shooting range silhouettes all over her cubicle. They fired her the next day and posted signs with her photo all over the office saying to call security if we see her. Anyway that’s my 311 story

:stonklol:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bouillon Rube posted:

Lmao

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

K is the 11th letter of the alphabet

need I say more?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Come original

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like em OP, you described them well. Reminds me of that Summer that never ended...

The Summer of 99!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I remember their pocket full of kryptonite song, don't remember whether I liked it but I remember hearing it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I was at an all day concert and they were like the fifth band of seven and they went on for more than three hours. It totally sucked because everyone was waiting for the last two bands and we left, had dinner, came back and they were still playing the bongos or whatever.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

The biggest 311 fan I know is a swell guy that gets obsessed with a new band every few years. Currently it's King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard but he is a die hard 311 fan for life. I'm honestly surprised that his kids aren't named Hexum and P-Nut.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just like that one song, Down.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-Xxjcu3pQ

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I had a friend who was obsessed with them in a really stupid way "like dude, there's so much more to these lyrics underneath the music, you're not listening to it right..." so it kind of soured me to them in general

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Jelly posted:

I had a friend who was obsessed with them in a really stupid way "like dude, there's so much more to these lyrics underneath the music, you're not listening to it right..." so it kind of soured me to them in general

The brodels is the nazz, and the nazz knows where it's at
The brodels is the nazz, who knows a cat who can feed a cat

So, so deep.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Poor man's Zebrahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOju2ThS--M

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 28, 2024

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

neato burrito posted:

The biggest 311 fan I know is a swell guy that gets obsessed with a new band every few years. Currently it's King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard but he is a die hard 311 fan for life. I'm honestly surprised that his kids aren't named Hexum and P-Nut.

King Gizz is a pretty good band to be obsessed with.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Their first album was good , second was a step down, then they tried to sell out and I think had moderately more success but there music got worse imo. Saw them live a few times when they were playing 300 or so person venues and they rocked.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I liked the amber is the color of your ecstacy song and "the wrong way"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I wouldn’t listen to 311 with my windows down because then people would know I was listening to 311

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

I liked the amber is the color of your ecstacy song and "the wrong way"

I literally thought these were 311 songs and now I see it's sublime

What're the best 311 songs, to refresh my memory?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I don't think anyone's dialed 311 in ages. How much is the government wasting keeping that service going I wonder?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gJ8udpUKk

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Poohs Packin posted:

I've been listening to Soundsystem and its got some really great drums, funky bass, and overall positive vibes. Its the kinda poo poo you wanna play in your car with the windows down on a summer day.

lcd soundsystem is pretty great ngl

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

King Gizz is a pretty good band to be obsessed with.

all their stuff kind of sounds the same but it's a very good kind of same

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

lcd soundsystem is pretty great ngl

Theyre dance music for gatekeepers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

remember The Faint? I liked them in college

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've never heard a 311 song but it seems like they belong in the same bucket as Dream Theater, and Coheed and Cambria, bands I would not admit to listening to.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Megabound posted:

I've never heard a 311 song but it seems like they belong in the same bucket as Dream Theater, and Coheed and Cambria, bands I would not admit to listening to.

I saw a coheed and cambria t-shirt in the wild and of course the guy had a ponytail.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

remember The Faint? I liked them in college

Wow I haven't thought of them in years

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
I came here for the 411 on 311 and was surprised (but not disappointed) to actually find it

this was a very sweet post op, ty for the chill happy feels :)

databasic fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 28, 2024

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Poohs Packin posted:

I saw a coheed and cambria t-shirt in the wild and of course the guy had a ponytail.

I think prog rock may be actively harmful to mental development tbh. I'm amazed I have short hair and a job now.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Came to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

From what I can tell Nick Hexum, besides having a really cool name, seems like a well balanced guy who is very passionate about music and doing good philanthropic work