Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Holy gently caress, their stock just went WAY up in my book:

Lmao yeah I’m a 311 fan now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I lived in the same little city where Stapp and his band got started and he was a notorious dickhead from the first ray of fame that landed on the band.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Now you're gettin' it!

*Dances like it's 1997

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Holy gently caress, their stock just went WAY up in my book:

I had no idea these guys owned so much :wow:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rad-daddio posted:

that was Len's gimmick. that, and their weirdly-close brother sister relationship.

who the hell is len is he in 3-11

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah yeah yeah 11

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

that girl with him is his sister. i always thought they were a little too close

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I heard him interviewed a few years back and he seems very self-aware and humble and thankful to have Steal My Sunshine money, as one should.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You got to come Original, all Entertainers come original

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Roni Size is comin full range

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

I would swallow my pride
I would choke on the rind
But the lack thereof
Leaves me empty inside

best 311 song imhgo

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rad-daddio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

that girl with him is his sister. i always thought they were a little too close

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Beautiful pissassturd

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sister I see you
Dancin on the stage of memories

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

less incest and more scott stapp beatings.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Scott Stapp more like Got Slapped

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Staaaaapp

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Does anyone remember that cross pose that Scott would do during concerts? I recall someone posting a pic of it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

Does anyone remember that cross pose that Scott would do during concerts? I recall someone posting a pic of it.

A Buffalo Stance perhaps?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rad-daddio posted:

the with arms wide open pose?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’m not gonna lie
I’ll not be a gentleman
Behind the boathouse
I’ll show you my dark secret

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is now a Toadies thread

https://youtu.be/YsE8cBN2NYE?si=X5ByKs0G6l97NfKA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

root beer posted:

I’m not gonna lie
I’ll not be a gentleman
Behind the boathouse
I’ll show you my dark secret

It's a song about a vampire, right?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rad-daddio posted:

Scott Stapp more like Got Slapped

He wasn't ready

He wasn't ready for what was to come

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That one Toadies album (Rubberneck) is solid loving gold. So many A+ tracks. They are known as a one hit wonder (and its a great hit) but really that whole album is a one hit wonder. I've listened to their other stuff and nothing comes close to what they did on this album. Solid from start to finish.

Here's the best rock and roll song about evolution ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vlBd4AqbcI

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Toadies own, rubberneck owns, burning beneath the sun to be a man owns.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Apparently Scott Stapp also wanted to fight Fred Durst, which is completely understandable because I feel like most everyone wanted to fight Fred Durst back then

quote:

How did the feud start?

The first the public became aware of Fred Durst and Scott Stapp's disdain for one another was at a radio event called KROCK Dysfunctional Family Picnic.

Durst and Stapp both let rip with tirades targeted at one another during their respective sets. Durst fired the first shot saying "I want to dedicate this next song to the lead singer of Creed.... That guy is an egomaniac.He's a fuckiing punk, and he's backstage right now acting like f***ing Michael Jackson. F*** that motherf***er, and f*** you too....and if you want, there's going to be a booth with pillows and blankets for when Creed comes on."

Stapp, unsurprisingly didn't take too kindly to Fred's comments, firing back with ""It takes a lot more guts to say something to somebody to their face than from behind their backs." Creeds management then allegedly presented Limp Bizkit with an anger management manual, autographed with a dedicated passage of scripture intended for Durst.
How did it intensify?

Durst spoke about the feud on MTV program Total Request Live that night, saying some further inflammatory things that you can watch for yourself below.

Not surprisingly, Stapp didn't enjoy being spoken of in this way and Creed's management responded with a written statement that read.

"We are extremely disappointed that Fred Durst has taken his personal feelings toward us public, considering we have never met or spoken to him. We are more disappointed that Fred is manipulating the media and the truth by using Creed as a scapegoat for his own immature and egotistical actions. Reports have falsely claimed that Fred was stuck in traffic, which caused the fans to wait an hour in the heat at K-Rock's "Dysfunctional Family Picnic." In fact, Fred arrived and was very angry with the scheduled lineup due to the fact that Limp Bizkit was performing before nightfall and before Creed.

He then refused to go on stage, causing management from K-Rock, Creed, Stone Temple Pilots, and Ozzy Osbourne to spend nearly an hour trying to figure out how to get Limp Bizkit to take the stage. Fred finally agreed to play only after he "finished his dinner," having accomplished his obvious goal of delaying his set. We don't appreciate Fred's treatment of Creed, the other artists on the bill, K-Rock, the radio station that has supported Creed, the fans, nor do we appreciate his disregard for the truth. Furthermore, we don't appreciate his lack of responsibility for his own actions, and his attempts to deflect blame with criticism of us and our fans."
So calmer heads prevailed then?

They certainly did not. In fact in a move no one saw coming, the feud was given new life by then emerging rock band TapRoot, who revealed that Durst had left a wild, accusatory message on their answering machine because they chose to sign with Atlantic Records and not his own label imprint. The message was transcribed by their label and incredibly issued as part of the press pack for their record. It read as follows.

"Steve, Fred Durst. Hey, man, you f***ed up. You don't ever bite the hand that feeds in this business, bro. And your f***ing manager so-called guy is a f***ing idiot--a loser mother f***er going nowhere. You have just chosen that path. I took you under my wing, brought you to my house, f***ing talked about your rear end on radio, in press, and you embarrassed me and the Interscope family. Your association with Limp Bizkit does not exist. Your manager slings that name around, he's gonna be blackballed and probably be erased, and you will too. He's a f***ing idiot. You're gonna f***ing learn from this time right here. I hope you let your band know that you just f***ed yourself. You need to be associated with somebody in this business. You need something to get you out there, put you out there, and believe in. Now you got enemies, and you're f***ing yourself already. Tell your friend that. Don't f***ing show up at my show, cause, if you do, you're gonna get f***ed. Alright? You and your f***ing punk rear end, man. You call your f***ing manager, David Manifestease--whatever ask him what he's done and doing. You're a f***ing dumb motherf***er. You're learning right now exactly how to ruin your career before it gets started. All of the luck, brother. F*** you."

Durst never confirmed or denied that phone call, as far as we can find, but he sure did find a critic of it in the form of, you guessed it, Scott Stapp!

Creed came out and delivered another statement that read "Having heard his recent comments about TapRoot and their manager, after they refused to sign to his Flawless/Interscope label, we feel that Fred has worn out his welcome as an artist spokesperson for our industry," the statement reads. "Fred's vulgar comments and violent threats are totally indicative of a mobster mentality that this industry has tried to rid itself of in recent years. If Fred wants to represent our industry as a major-label senior vice president, then he should consider actually reading the anger management book that we sent to him or just return to being an artist that lets his music speak for itself."
So how did this nearly wind up in a boxing match?

Stapp didn't think there was a chance that Durst would ever recognize the flaws in his own behaviour and therefore offered to meet him to work it out using a method that Durst would be able to understand, controlled violence. Stapp offered up plans for a boxing match to be staged between the two, with all the funds raised going to charity (so basically a charitable equivalent of the celebrity boxing matches we see now). Stapp was apparently quite serious about it.

Durst responded to the challenge stating "Creed should take a hint and spend more time signing autographs than writing about me." "The boxing match sounds like fun, but I'd rather not resort to violence, since I'm busy doing a free tour."

https://www.maniacsonline.com.au/news/remembering-that-time-creeds-scott-stapp-challenged-limp-bizkits-fred-durst-to-a-fight-wm

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

the with arms wide open pose?

might've been. I know it was right around the time everyone got tired of his poo poo so he was getting dragged for it.

drat, this whole thread is making me remember working in radio back in the late 90's. Man, that was so loving long ago.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

That one Toadies album (Rubberneck) is solid loving gold. So many A+ tracks. They are known as a one hit wonder (and its a great hit) but really that whole album is a one hit wonder. I've listened to their other stuff and nothing comes close to what they did on this album. Solid from start to finish.

They were loving peerless with their fun rhythms and time signatures. Those extra two-beat measures in Possum Kingdom blew my mind as a kid, and listening as an adult I'm even more impressed by how well-integrated all their different influences were.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

They were loving peerless with their fun rhythms and time signatures. Those extra two-beat measures in Possum Kingdom blew my mind as a kid, and listening as an adult I'm even more impressed by how well-integrated all their different influences were.

Possum Kingdom blew my mind as an adult. I was like, wait a second, this is a whole new song!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rubbernecker as a single piece is this great rock and roll and southern religion album. The singer/narrator is obviously conflicted yet still obviously a Believer.

_____!
May 2, 2004

redshirt posted:

Uhh...*ahem*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYcC4xD0fPY
:smug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A fun enough song, good 311 sound you know. But not as good a song about evolution as "I come from the water"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redshirt posted:

75% of lyrics are garbage. They could just make noises and jibberish and it would be mostly the same.

Yeah but you can have decent prose and imagery without creating deep meaning.

311 shouldn't have good lyrics and their terrible lyrics are extremely funny to me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They should drop leaflets over Gaza that have links to free 311 songs.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
311 is cool in my book. I don’t want to listen to their music though. I had their beer and it was very good. The bassists goes by the name “P-Nutt”; I mean can you believe it? P-Nutt. Pretty chill.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Check the technique, 311 is so lame

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Best show I’ve ever seen was 311 opening for Throbbing Gristle at a Flying J in Des Moines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Best show I’ve ever seen was 311 opening for Throbbing Gristle at a Flying J in Des Moines.

I doubt this is true but I am well pleased because of my many fond memories of the Flying J