Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've come to prefer the oligarchical control of the political party duopoly because I am never without a scapegoat to be angry at and I don't need to see my own views challenged by the messiness of the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Contests between oligarchs who don't give a drat what you think.

May as well give up then I guess. The oligarchy thanks you for your lack of participation.

I'm not equating you to them, but you know who else says the exact same thing? Alex Jones listeners and Trumpists. They genuinely believe that the government is a lost cause and it's rigged and they mostly don't vote. I genuinely believe that a democracy can only be strong and equitable through large scale buy-in and participation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm simply trying to suppress voter turnout amongst the politically aware class who would post about it on forums, who are more likely to make informed choices and not vote against their own interest and elect oligarchs who seek only to further dismantle the democratic system. as i am a paid deep state agent (gbs ik)

I see.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

They care when they don't get elected, don't they?

Not really. Then they can devote all their time to making money on corporate boards or lobbying.

Tarkus posted:

May as well give up then I guess. The oligarchy thanks you for your lack of participation.

I'm not equating you to them, but you know who else says the exact same thing? Alex Jones listeners and Trumpists. They genuinely believe that the government is a lost cause and it's rigged and they mostly don't vote. I genuinely believe that a democracy can only be strong and equitable through large scale buy-in and participation.

Oh, I don't think you should give up; far from it. I just think hope in electoralism is misplaced.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Not really. Then they can devote all their time to making money on corporate boards or lobbying.

Oh, I don't think you should give up; far from it. I just think hope in electoralism is misplaced.

So then, how do we implement change?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

I think change starts at the local level with independent organizations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

redshirt posted:

Violent revolution

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think change starts at the local level with independent organizations.

Like? Please detail your non voting system of representation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Violent revolution

Getting about that time I do say, yes sir.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

Like? Please detail your non voting system of representation.

We don't have representation even with voting, but it depends on your area: DSA, local charity organizations, etc.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

loving lol DSA

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

american democracy is basically a lost cause and there is no salvaging it. it's too far gone

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We don't have representation even with voting, but it depends on your area: DSA, local charity organizations, etc.

I just wish I could crawl into your head and harvest all that innocence. And then NOT sell it for a huge mark up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have issues with the DSA myself but they often do good work on housing in local areas.

redshirt posted:

I just wish I could crawl into your head and harvest all that innocence. And then NOT sell it for a huge mark up.

I've been accused of many things...."innocence" is a new one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 15, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Saalkin posted:

Violent revolution

I hear a lot of people say that and I'm not sure if you're joking but I don't think that the left would be in a favorable position in the event of a revolution.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have issues with the DSA myself but they often do good work on housing in local areas.

Where do you live?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Saalkin posted:

Violent revolution

Nine times out of ten, violent revolution makes things significantly worse for everyone involved. Especially when you have absolutely zero plan beyond "Kill the people I hate, then everyone will magically be a paradise of equality"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

american democracy is basically a lost cause and there is no salvaging it. it's too far gone

that's ok, we'll have a few years of the zuck/musk/bezos triumvirate before zuck emerges as the augustus he was born to be and leads the USA to centuries of glorious empire

i'm psyched for it, can't believe i'll live to see it happen. millennials are truly the most blessed generation to live in such pivotal times.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why are there no dedicated french fry stores in the US? Could have them at the beach. At the Fair. In the Country. In the City.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

we have a restaurant here called new york fries and they charge like $25 for a poutine lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ugh no I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to become another argument about electoralism itself. Just that I hate how Internet Leftists have made it a contest to see who can do their best at looking down their noses at *cat hiss, dog bark, car tire screech* THE LIBS to the point of being cartoonish reactionaries

Dictating that people shouldn't be able to comment if you vote or not so rude and gauche is one of those moments. Like, do you hear how bougie that sounds? You're making a decorum argument here. Vote or don't, but don't try to say how people are allowed to react to you panning the system they believe in. If you're really that serious about electoralism not working, some light pressure to vote shouldn't mean poo poo to you, it should bounce off like a bullet offa Superman's chest.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redshirt posted:

Why are there no dedicated french fry stores in the US? Could have them at the beach. At the Fair. In the Country. In the City.

https://www.pommesfritesnyc.com

https://www.mrfriesman.com

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we have a restaurant here called new york fries and they charge like $25 for a poutine lol

that's the same price they charge for a large cajun fries at five guys

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ugh no I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to become another argument about electoralism itself. Just that I hate how Internet Leftists have made it a contest to see who can do their best at looking down their noses at *cat hiss, dog bark, car tire screech* THE LIBS to the point of being cartoonish reactionaries

Dictating that people shouldn't be able to comment if you vote or not so rude and gauche is one of those moments. Like, do you hear how bougie that sounds? You're making a decorum argument here. Just so gross. Vote or don't, but don't try to say how people are allowed to react to you panning the system they believe in. If you're really that serious about electoralism not working, some light pressure to vote shouldn't mean poo poo to you, it should bounce off like a bullet offa Superman's chest.

you are not forgiven btw. and you're on watch also

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I dunno what that is but it sounds kinda hot

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

you are free to set yourself on fire. I am also free to get pissed at you if you immolate me in the process.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Dictating that people shouldn't be able to comment if you vote or not so rude and gauche is one of those moments. Like, do you hear how bougie that sounds? You're making a decorum argument here. Vote or don't, but don't try to say how people are allowed to react to you panning the system they believe in. If you're really that serious about electoralism not working, some light pressure to vote shouldn't mean poo poo to you, it should bounce off like a bullet offa Superman's chest.

Never said that people "shouldn't comment", just that they shouldn't give a poo poo what other people do or don't do with their vote. That seems like common sense to me; you overreacted to it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Set these potatoes on fire what the gently caress?!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Never said that people "shouldn't comment", just that they shouldn't give a poo poo what other people do or don't do with their vote. That seems like common sense to me; you overreacted to it.

Yeah sure and also we shouldn't ask who you vote for in the voting booth, or care, and we all watched that kindly 'ideal' fall apart in 2016.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think it's like admitting that you willfully litter sometimes. Sure, it's not a big deal and if it's just you then it's of no concern but when done across a great many people it adds up and it becomes everyone's business. People are bound to have feelings about it.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nine times out of ten, violent revolution makes things significantly worse for everyone involved. Especially when you have absolutely zero plan beyond "Kill the people I hate, then everyone will magically be a paradise of equality"

I never said it'd end well my friend

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

counterfeitsaint posted:

What are the best examples of times that societal structure was changed and entrenched power was removed against its will in a completely nonviolent movement led by its own people?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Most folks don't have any idea how their government works.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

Most folks don't have any idea how their government works.

they're called congressmen and congresswomen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

they're called congressmen and congresswomen

I just cut right to the top of the phone cue.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

yeah, right!!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

redshirt posted:

Just wanted to say how much I disagree with this. What are elections if not the collections of individual voter choices? By definition.

Not about the US being a corrupt democracy. But about votes that don't matter. UNLESS you are proposing some system of fraud.... Are you?

Lmao

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sentient Data posted:

What are the best examples of times that societal structure was changed and entrenched power was removed against its will in a completely nonviolent movement led by its own people?

It's right over here next to the equally long list of times that violent revolutions did not spiral out of control and power did not end up in the hands of the most ruthless warlord available.

Human beings are absolutely loving poo poo at governing, at least in any sort of fair and equitable manner. The fact that we're having this conversation at all without being murdered by the current power structure, and the fact that we can easily do it from vast distances from comfortable, climate controlled rooms with full bellies already means we're already doing better than 99.95% of human beings that have ever lived. I'm not saying this to imply we should be satisfied with the status quo, the current system still sucks and needs to be improved, but I am saying that we shouldn't just burn everything down and count on whatever replaces it being magically, inexplicably even better.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The vast systems we've built are beyond our control, and they've irrevocably diminished the capacity of our only home to support human life. The material reality is that biosphere diversity and global population levels are going to take an enormous hit, and its already begun.

Oh, the truth you don't want to hear and ain't ready for is I wish it'd hurry up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's right over here next to the equally long list of times that violent revolutions did not spiral out of control and power did not end up in the hands of the most ruthless warlord available.

Human beings are absolutely loving poo poo at governing, at least in any sort of fair and equitable manner. The fact that we're having this conversation at all without being murdered by the current power structure, and the fact that we can easily do it from vast distances from comfortable, climate controlled rooms with full bellies already means we're already doing better than 99.95% of human beings that have ever lived. I'm not saying this to imply we should be satisfied with the status quo, the current system still sucks and needs to be improved, but I am saying that we shouldn't just burn everything down and count on whatever replaces it being magically, inexplicably even better.

yuup. there is nothing in the news today that people haven't been doing to each other for thousands of years. various ideologies and religions have attempted to change society from the outside in so to speak, and all have failed. things are more or less the same as they have been, perhaps slightly modified by better hygiene, more scientific knowledge, etc.

imho the most anyone can hope to accomplish in one lifetime is to not contribute too much to the madness. try to relieve suffering, but don't participate in the violence, division, and paranoia already in the system.