Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Vampire Panties posted:

How did Christopher Columbus get to the New World? Ferdinand and Isabella made a longshot bet because they would get loving paid if it worked out, plus they could flip the bird to John II of Portugal, their richass neighbor.

thats literally how humanity has worked for multiple thousands of years - a rich dude sees a chance to get more rich, and they send someone who is smart/educated enough to pull it off, but poor enough that nobody will care if they die / greedy enough to mount a suicide mission

Christopher Columbus is the one who came to Ferdinand and Isabella tho. They didn't come up with the idea then assign him and send him off, figuring if he dies eh NBD - he came to them pitching his voyage and they decided his sales pitch was good enough they bought in. They specifically didn't want him to die because welp there goes the riches he said only he could find.

Unfortunately he couldn't find the gold so he then pitched to them the idea of chattel slavery as the riches he promised, and they went with it.

That whole things was Columbus scamming venture capital out of Ferdinand and Isabella for his own goals (find a way to get enough money to retake Jerusalem for the Catholics before what he thought was the looming Apocalypse).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Maudib Arakkis posted:

God exists and you are loved. You don’t have to think bad thoughts about yourself.

Yeah, God's already doing that for you. If he exists, that bastard loves like an abusive stepdad, doing hosed up poo poo to you to 'build character '. I don't want him.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 10, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sentient Data posted:

Trans activists are fighting against their own cause. A male/female dichotomy is the entire toolset of the patriarchy, and reinforcing the importance of publicly being any specific gender (including non-male/female) only strengthens the system they hate. Anyone that believes gender is a spectrum should be fighting for gender as a whole to be considered as intimate and functionally irrelevant to your professional life as your religion or sexual preferences

Nah, both have room in queerness, it allows room for contradictions. Queer folks can fight for the rights of people to switch over on the gender binary and for folks to have no gender and for folks to have more genders outside the binary and all of these can coexist, because these are all things which break away from the systems which keep us down. Some people get gender euphoria from transitioning over on the binary, some people get it from breaking out - it's about making room for all of these truths. And the inherent tensions of these contradictions are part of what drive queer theory forward. That one view doesn't negate the other but instead adds layered complexity to these issues, is one of the best parts of being queer.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 11, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Batman isn't a superhero, he's a comedic device. Either he is the straight man of the group and jokes are being made at his expense, OR it's full Adam West-style 'Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb'. Comedy is where Batman lives, and thrives.

Serious stoic Batman attempts? Yeah that poo poo is super boring. His 'rise to power' does not interest me bc who gives a gently caress about a vigilante cop beating people up on his own whims except the types of psychos who also secretly wanna be cops?

At least if you're going to idolize a superhero, go with Superman, who is legitimately pure and good at heart, instead of Detective Officer Beat-em-up whose whole thing is he works as an unseen arm of the police.

There is no way on god's green earth the best solution to fighting crime is Elon Musk with trauma, who is also quietly sanctioned by the police. That's loving nightmare fuel, that is.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 14, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
(don't try to argue cops hate Batman, that's the rank-and-file - Batman has the sign-off and cooperation from cop leadership, Jim Gordon)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Didn't the the Secret Service thing turn out to be one of the lies from Lowtax? Along with the forums being underwater lol. Could be wrong there tho, all those details mash together and I'm too lazy to check into the specificity of his lying atm

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
GBS was never not political, as the disastrous GBS 2.0 shows (a dire and failed attempt to 'make GBS funny again' since it was getting too politics-y).

If you wanna avoid politics, theres forums for every subject you can imagine. But the general forums are inevitably going to have politics talk because we're humans and our interactions are inherently political.

At least no one is trying to push linguist Noam Chomsky's political theory here - a dude who is infamous for using his place in academia to ruin the lives of anyone who defies him. Dude is literally Sabul from The Dispossessed. His biggest concerns in life are his legacy and making sure no one calls him a fraud. All of his theory should be considered suspect and observed very critically under the lens of a man who is seeking eternal life through academic glory - not as some wise elder who wants to bring us truths which free us from capitalism.

Doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong about everything, there's absolutely good stuff in his theory, but he should be looked at as someone who figured out the things he did because he was a sneaky bastard and these strategies would further his career under capitalism.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Internet Old One posted:

All the things I know about the politics of Noam Chomsky I learned from a crazy wide-eye punk rock kid who somehow ended up in the military. I was skeptical of his claims and he was somewhat obnoxious and a little crazy. I tried to ignore most of it because I really didn't need to hear that poo poo at the time.

Everything he ever said has either happened or has otherwise been proven to be true. Which sucks cause he never had much good to say.

Yes well, turns out he's the guy who came up with manufacturing consent bc he has figured out how to manipulate systems to do so, to his own advantage.

And his leftism is a currency he uses to build an image of himself as a radical within the intelligentsia circles he frequents, while very notably not stepping outside of those manicured circles. It's true he may believe what he preaches, but it's also an accessory he wears to make a name for himself as the Radical Professor.

Some people will say he's doing the important work of trying to bring revolutionary thinking to the elite - very convenient how that allows him to keep existing as such and enjoying the life of the elite while supposedly 'working from the inside'. He challenges others to change their lives in ways he is unwilling to do himself, so nuts to him.

And he sees any and all criticism of leftist places as false and manufactured, such that he will deny genocides in an effort to claim they're all complex coordinated smear campaigns against leftism. The deaths of all these people are supposedly faked or blown out of proportion to serve capitalism's purpose of defeating leftism. Which could only be said by someone whose brain lives, works, and rots in smear campaigns and political maneuvering.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Maybe I'm treading into dangerous waters here, but this is the "truths people don't want to hear" thread: People are free to use their vote however they wish, including not voting or voting third parties. No one, left, right, or center, is "entitled" to your vote.

Well yeah sure. And we're free to dislike that. Just like how the 1st Amendment means you can say what you like but doesn't mean everyone has to like what you say, if you choose to not vote, sure that's your choice - but you can't dictate that people can't comment on it.

If you made a choice to opt out of the system, which does have an affect on others when you do it, then at least have the spine to stand by it instead of getting all, oh no the liberals are shaming me, how rude. Is your moral conviction so weak, that's all it takes to be rattled? No one is stopping anyone from not voting, no one can kidnap you and make you vote - they're just commenting on it loudly.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

If you don't vote, you're not "opting out of the system" because politics is not showing up to pull a lever every four years. And if voting is everyone's right to use however they wish, then no one has a right to shame you for how you choose to use that right. It's like buying a car and having it stipulated that the car can only be used to drive to the grocery church and work (yes, I know owning a car isn't a right, but the point stands).

People criticize each other for poo poo as simple as car choices all the time, to be logically sound this requires humanity to become Not Humanity, but an idealized version of humanity that exists only philosophically.

The stigma around shame & voting is largely a performative online leftist thing about how they're so much better than the libs because they don't comment on voting, which is why it makes my eyes roll back into my head. It's just more status jockeying and reactionary bullshit. Why the gently caress leftists put so much energy into hating on libs in this world full of fascists, I can't say for sure (I think largely embarrassed at their former selves and lashing out), but like Gandalf and her graham cracker, it is their favorite activity.

Meanwhile the reality for the not eternally online is, people WILL shame you for this choice so toughen the gently caress up if you're going to do that.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean yeah go do something better with your time instead of posturing about people commenting on voting, agreed. That's why it's stupid that some leftists have made it a pet thing. 'Oh you want to control me when you tell me how to vote' bitch you are leftist, this means you disavow hyper-individuality in favor of the collective which yes means less individual choice. Unless you're leaning into anarchist libertarianism, in which case get to helping your community more because that is predicated on the idea of active community providing entirely by itself without any sort of force from govt, and can literally only work if you're practicing what you preach.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the united states is a corrupt/mixed democracy and the individual voter almost doesnt matter at all

In big races, ofc. Locally? It can absolutely make a difference, depending on the circumstances of the race and what's at stake. But honestly, I don't care if people vote, it just bothers me that it's all memetic to hate on anything perceived as lib-adjacent to the point it's getting ridiculous.

Making your point of contention that it's rude and bad etiquette to care about voting issssssss definitely not praxis. That's more 'ew, we don't want to look cringe, like the libs, now do we??' tribalism BS

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 15, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ugh no I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to become another argument about electoralism itself. Just that I hate how Internet Leftists have made it a contest to see who can do their best at looking down their noses at *cat hiss, dog bark, car tire screech* THE LIBS to the point of being cartoonish reactionaries

Dictating that people shouldn't be able to comment if you vote or not so rude and gauche is one of those moments. Like, do you hear how bougie that sounds? You're making a decorum argument here. Vote or don't, but don't try to say how people are allowed to react to you panning the system they believe in. If you're really that serious about electoralism not working, some light pressure to vote shouldn't mean poo poo to you, it should bounce off like a bullet offa Superman's chest.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I dunno what that is but it sounds kinda hot

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Never said that people "shouldn't comment", just that they shouldn't give a poo poo what other people do or don't do with their vote. That seems like common sense to me; you overreacted to it.

Yeah sure and also we shouldn't ask who you vote for in the voting booth, or care, and we all watched that kindly 'ideal' fall apart in 2016.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

redshirt posted:

I think the overall point is that as you get older, 30's and 40's, it isn't necessarily your elderly age that is causing your back and other issues, but rather your unhealthy life choices. Though age might play a factor.

Nah there's plenty of disabled people in the world who are disabled by no fault of their own, and age can absolutely be a factor, this is some Just World fallacy poo poo because you're healthy and fit. I'm glad you are but don't make the mistake of thinking everyone's body works just like yours.

This is the sorta logic that, taken to its extreme, leads to people harassing ambulatory wheelchair users for being 'lazy' because some days they can walk and some days they can't. 'you could walk all the time if you just strengthened your back and your leg muscles!' nooo no no no. It doesn't work that way for everyone.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 18, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nah I don't really have a fat being a choice thing going, it's just that 'everyone is too fat and that's their real problem, literally all of their health problems are bc they're fat' is not a unique, new, or even radical take, it's how most of America feels about everyone else around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tarkus posted:

I say as a fatty that I own my poor decisions. I'm very glad that people here can enjoy a moment of patting themselves on the back for their good decision making skills and discipline to keep themselves not fat.

I hope we can invite other people to come post. People who've made good, shrewd decisions. I invite them to post as well.

Absolutely, then it's much funnier when the pied piper comes to calling and they do get injured lol. Even better if it's in a dumb preventable manner that the prideful person can be forever harangued about how 'if you'd just been a little more careful...'

I do love a good setup, and the best part for that one is, it comes for everyone in the end :unsmith: