Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe I'm treading into dangerous waters here, but this is the "truths people don't want to hear" thread: People are free to use their vote however they wish, including not voting or voting third parties. No one, left, right, or center, is "entitled" to your vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Well yeah sure. And we're free to dislike that. Just like how the 1st Amendment means you can say what you like but doesn't mean everyone has to like what you say, if you choose to not vote, sure that's your choice - but you can't then be all, how dare you shame me, boo hoo don't give me poo poo for my choices.

You made a choice to opt out of the system, at least have the spine to stand by it instead of getting all, oh no the liberals are shaming me, how rude.

If you don't vote, you're not "opting out of the system" because politics is not showing up to pull a lever every four years. And if voting is everyone's right to use however they wish, then no one has a right to shame you for how you choose to use that right. It's like buying a car and having it stipulated that the car can only be used to drive to the grocery church and work (yes, I know owning a car isn't a right, but the point stands).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

What is politics if its not voting?

Protesting. Building parallel structures to care for people. These are a much better use of time than either voting or scolding people for not voting as they're told.

If people "WILL shame you" for not voting how they like, then those people need to get a life and/or outside hobbies, straight up.

Not directed at redshirt: why is it so important to you how other people use their vote? To me, it screams of trying to control other people's actions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 15, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tarkus posted:

I'll be honest though, the vast majority of people who don't vote don't do those things. I don't think that refraining from doing the most basic low-effort parts of being a citizen is some sort of signifier of higher-level political interaction.

I don't necessarily think it is either. My point is that your vote is yours to do with as you please.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

wizard2 posted:

Drat! The boss says I cant take time off to protest and use the parallel systems, and the landlord agrees! Politics sure is something!

That's why you unionize.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

And the only point of protesting, ultimately, is to pressure representatives to vote a certain way.

Which is convenient because if you don't have a lot of money, they don't notice or care what you have to say.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the united states is a corrupt/mixed democracy and the individual voter almost doesnt matter at all

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

e: DP; sorry.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

Just wanted to say how much I disagree with this. What are elections if not the collections of individual voter choices? By definition.

Contests between oligarchs who don't give a drat what you think.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

They care when they don't get elected, don't they?

Not really. Then they can devote all their time to making money on corporate boards or lobbying.

Tarkus posted:

May as well give up then I guess. The oligarchy thanks you for your lack of participation.

I'm not equating you to them, but you know who else says the exact same thing? Alex Jones listeners and Trumpists. They genuinely believe that the government is a lost cause and it's rigged and they mostly don't vote. I genuinely believe that a democracy can only be strong and equitable through large scale buy-in and participation.

Oh, I don't think you should give up; far from it. I just think hope in electoralism is misplaced.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

So then, how do we implement change?

I think change starts at the local level with independent organizations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

Like? Please detail your non voting system of representation.

We don't have representation even with voting, but it depends on your area: DSA, local charity organizations, etc.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have issues with the DSA myself but they often do good work on housing in local areas.

redshirt posted:

I just wish I could crawl into your head and harvest all that innocence. And then NOT sell it for a huge mark up.

I've been accused of many things...."innocence" is a new one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 15, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ugh no I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to become another argument about electoralism itself. Just that I hate how Internet Leftists have made it a contest to see who can do their best at looking down their noses at *cat hiss, dog bark, car tire screech* THE LIBS to the point of being cartoonish reactionaries

Dictating that people shouldn't be able to comment if you vote or not so rude and gauche is one of those moments. Like, do you hear how bougie that sounds? You're making a decorum argument here. Vote or don't, but don't try to say how people are allowed to react to you panning the system they believe in. If you're really that serious about electoralism not working, some light pressure to vote shouldn't mean poo poo to you, it should bounce off like a bullet offa Superman's chest.

Never said that people "shouldn't comment", just that they shouldn't give a poo poo what other people do or don't do with their vote. That seems like common sense to me; you overreacted to it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Super Store, Abbott Elementary, 30 Rock, The Office - you know all those recent comedies. They're the same show set in slightly different places. All of them are trying and failing to capture Airplane!/The Naked Gun style humor.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

I feel blessed that I've seen none of them.

Same. They're a dime a dozen these days and all pretty much exactly the same (I know 30 Rock and The Office are older).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If you're tailgating, you're wrong and driving dangerously, regardless of how slow the tailgatee is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Small town > big city