Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Time_pants posted:

Your first paragraph is some temporal whataboutism. Plus, it kind of ignores how Zoomers are absolutely hosed as resources grow more scarce and wealth and power become increasingly concentrated among a few plutocrats. What else? OH RIGHT! And the fact that the planet is melting, disasters and extreme weather are becoming increasingly common, and rising sea levels are going to displace millions over the next 50 years, and rising temperatures are going to make food increasingly scarce.

But yeah I guess it's not the bubonic plague.

Anyone who has had to get used to a supremely lovely normal goes wide eyed at the thought of going back and wonder if maybe they shouldn't just jump off the roof right now before getting used to it again.

People who have had really easy lives are the ones who go "Yeah well 700 years ago in miseryia, people had to eat carnivorous bugs with their rear end to survive.. things are good... have some perspective."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mistle posted:

Fast food is still the cheapest option when you consider that it's prorated to unit price, and even at an obscene markup for profit, that's still cheaper than investing in bulk-buying and not exchanging time for pay. Plus, the time spent not working goes into work-related or compounded matters, like waiting at a free clinic(because you're so unhealthy from all the fast food you eat), or doing laundry so you don't get fired for a "messy appearance".

The same religious people who espouse the Immaculate Conception also conveniently overlook it as a fail case for "abstinence only 100% effective" rhetoric; but if you didn't believe, then it would actually be true.

Yep a mcdouble is 22 grams of animal protein and 400 calories for under $3. McDonalds is completely vertically integrated and it's hard to beat that price.

Once you get into premium burgers or sides your money gets you a lot less.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sure, technically gravity has no range limit, so the other planets are, in a strict sense, exhibiting some gravitational pull on your body. But they're so far away, your car and even your next door neighbor have a stronger gravitational pull on you than any other planet.

Calling in sick on Monday: Prius is in retrograde and Moe is waxing gibbos. Not a good day for an Aquafina.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Meme Emulator posted:

Simple monochrome tattoos look ok I guess: color tattoos look like splotchy bruises from a distance. It’s like gold teeth, you really want to spend all that money on looking like you’re beat to fuckor your teeth are yellow and rotting out of your head? Its less that I have a problem with it and more that I’m incredulous anyone could think it looks good

Looking awful is the point. Anyhow grills don't have to be expensive or permanent. I think they look like absolute deranged rear end but gotta respect the effort to troll normies.

Rad-daddio posted:

It's weird seeing cops with full sleeve tats or neck tattoos. Used to be that stuff was an automatic no go for those jobs.

Now there's soccer moms rocking full sleeves.

Yeah tats are meaningless. I see the squarest least subversive people getting incredibly subversive poo poo just plastered all over their bodies in photographic quality.

Like yo, you went across the Atlantic, killed a man in the Gulags, and then dipped across the equator on the ride home?

Big adventures between graduation and getting your CPA. I'm gatekeeping a little bit here but I don't understand the appeal of covering yourself in that kind of stuff solely for aesthetic reasons. Especially knowing that while a lot of that stuff isn't current the last people to earn some of them are still alive and these are often not the world's biggest risk takers in other aspects of their lives.

Like what happens when you're traveling across borders and you have to explain that you're an idiotic American and not actually a former commando and mafia don?

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 12, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don’t think of tattoos as trying to make anyone look particularly tough anymore. It’s a purely aesthetic choice without a lick of transgression left and I think that’s ok too.

I've already seen this thinking come back to bite a dude who got a confederate flag, skulls, roses, etc... a sort of popular aesthetic for awhile that didn't necessarily mean anything.

He had to explain himself to pretty much every black person we knew and I've lost touch with him but it's an even bigger deal now so I hope he got that poo poo covered up.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my first tattoo that i wanted was spqr, the laurels, and a roman fasces, when i was a teen/early 20s cause i was hella into the classics lol

glad to not have that on my body these days

Oh lord brother you dodged a cannonball there. I knew some wiccans who liked to get runes and nordic stuff. I'll bet you there are at least a few people rocking black suns with zero clue.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Saalkin posted:

Sounds like that dude is dumb because the conferedate flag has always represented a slave state lmao.

Agreed but at the time you could go to a kid rock concert and see that poo poo right behind a black guest rapper, duke reruns were airing and growing up my 50% black grade school with a black principal in a northern state we had history textbooks that were careful to "respect both sides of the story" if you catch my drift.

So I would have never gotten that poo poo but I didn't necessarily think it was racial commentary every single time I saw it.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

counterfeitsaint posted:

Telegraphing your awful decision making ability is really just saving the rest of us time in the long run.

When you see someone with cornrows, face tats, and a sharktooth grill this is exactly the judgement they want people to make.

-----------

I have awful tattoos and when I got them I had just gone to some of the worst places on the planet and was going to have to go to more awful places soon.

I considered that future me might regret getting these deliberately awful tattoos. I thought about future me and said "If that guy is happy then gently caress HIM! He owes me!"

and I got those awful tattoos and me and my pals laughed about it all night. For a few hours I was happy and it was one of the best nights of my life. I sort of regret it but I survived and sort of appreciate old me's sense of humor and if it wasn't for these tattoos, at present I would not fully comprehend just how little fucks I gave in that time and place.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

rotinaj posted:

Jesus, dude, you were just being transferred between one Chuck E. Cheese and another that was fifteen minutes away, it couldn’t have been that bad

You haven't seen what happened in that bathroom. We put up an out of order sign and told people it was a plumbing issue.

Then under cover of night we bricked over the door like it was never there and changed the sign on the men's room to unisex. This is the first time I told my secret to anyone.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vampire Panties posted:

LF was insane as gently caress going back to Ron Paul, and I think the Secret Service got involved (or maybe it was Lowtax bullshit)?

I wasn't here for any of that but I heard they found the special secret service account when Jeff bought the forums. I guess they used it like one time.

satanic splash-back posted:

People tend to talk politics a lot when politics gently caress over a lot of people

It's literally all most of us can do after voting and tossing a few dollars at some lesser evil who will still spend that poo poo on limo rides and $20 doughnuts. Definitely helps to get off social media and consume a little less news.

Gotta remind yourself you're probably not telling people anything new :(

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 15, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

StrangersInTheNight posted:

GBS was never not political, as the disastrous GBS 2.0 shows (a dire and failed attempt to 'make GBS funny again' since it was getting too politics-y).

If you wanna avoid politics, theres forums for every subject you can imagine. But the general forums are inevitably going to have politics talk because we're humans and our interactions are inherently political.

At least no one is trying to push linguist Noam Chomsky's political theory here - a dude who is infamous for using his place in academia to ruin the lives of anyone who defies him. Dude is literally Sabul from The Dispossessed. His biggest concerns in life are his legacy and making sure no one calls him a fraud. All of his theory should be considered suspect and observed very critically under the lens of a man who is seeking eternal life through academic glory - not as some wise elder who wants to bring us truths which free us from capitalism.

Doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong about everything, there's absolutely good stuff in his theory, but he should be looked at as someone who figured out the things he did because he was a sneaky bastard and these strategies would further his career under capitalism.

All the things I know about the politics of Noam Chomsky I learned from a crazy wide-eye punk rock kid who somehow ended up in the military. I was skeptical of his claims and he was somewhat obnoxious and a little crazy. I tried to ignore most of it because I really didn't need to hear that poo poo at the time.

Everything he ever said has either happened or has otherwise been proven to be true. Which sucks cause he never had much good to say.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Yes well, turns out he's the guy who came up with manufacturing consent bc he has figured out how to manipulate systems to do so, to his own advantage.

I thought manufacturing consent was an extension of ideas put forth in Bernay's "engineering consent".
Like I said all my Chomsky is 2nd hand so I don't really know.

I do know that it's extremely frustrating bringing criticisms against the left when a lot of our side fails to think critically about certain people or ideas just because they're on the right side.

I feel that it's a different quality than the frustration of say convincing a guy strutting about delaware like a cowboy, giant car, chaw, wranglers, voting habits, music, and associated lifestyle that he's not in fact thinking for himself but is in fact the victim of a massive marketing campaign.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

People criticize each other for poo poo as simple as car choices all the time, to be logically sound this requires humanity to become Not Humanity, but an idealized version of humanity that exists only philosophically.

The stigma around shame & voting is largely a performative online leftist thing about how they're so much better than the libs because they don't comment on voting, which is why it makes my eyes roll back into my head. It's just more status jockeying and reactionary bullshit. Why the gently caress leftists put so much energy into hating on libs in this world full of fascists, I can't say for sure (I think largely embarrassed at their former selves and lashing out), but like Gandalf and her graham cracker, it is their favorite activity.

Meanwhile the reality for the not eternally online is, people WILL shame you for this choice so toughen the gently caress up if you're going to do that.

I should shame people for driving idiotic cars. It's only by chance that I happened to mention cars in my example of manufactured consent because it's one of the most eye rollingly obvious examples.

It's anti-advertising, anti-propaganda and anyone who actually embodies the things associated with driving a lifted pickup over a pile of rocks shouldn't feel the need to defend their choice beyond "Well I like monster trucks" unless deep down inside they know they're a big imposter who does indeed consume masculinity to cover for feelings of inadequacy.

I don't see the same kind of defensiveness when someone gets teased for driving a smart car, prius, or moped. If anything people shrug their shoulders "Yeah we all do lame stuff sometimes I like the gas milage"

Same as voting. I shame motherfuckers all day because apparently it works. When you don't vote you vote with Hitler! Shame on you boo! Boo! Half the people who vote for some longshot 3rd party candidate are only going for some comfortable middle that hasn't been eviscerated in the press because they can't stand the shame of voting for anything less than perfection.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Bottom tier potatoes are fried+cooled+microwaved anything.
Always tastes awful unless you're drunk and they're covered in superior condiments.

Baked potatoes are usually pretty lame but can be jazzed up much like any other pile of starch. Plain baked potatoes even have their moments like camping on a cold day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

redshirt posted:

Most rural folks are dipshits and they certainly possess zero "wisdom of the forest"

When I was in boy scouts all the guys with CHUD dads and giant buck knives could barely pitch a tent and all dragged rear end when we went backpacking.